Will you like it forever?

moulds80

For everyone OTS who is now in OKC getting a feel of what it is really like, especially enroute, is it something you think you will enjoy doing long term? I suspect with new systems and technology the job will continue to evolve, but essentially most of us will still be an Air Traffic Controller for 20-25 years, do you think you will like it or will it eventually become routine or boring?

For everyone OTS who is now in OKC getting a feel of what it is really like, especially enroute, is it something you think you will enjoy doing long term? I suspect with new systems and technology the job will continue to evolve, but essentially most of us will still be an Air Traffic Controller for 20-25 years, do you think you will like it or will it eventually become routine or boring?

I finish up Basics this Friday, but the ppl who are in my study group (we're all Enroute) don't plan on working traffic for no more than 3 yrs after getting CPC certified PERIOD. One of the girls wants to go into Management, one guy wants to transfer to the NTSB, and I plan on going into Human Resources (or any position that involves pushing paper not tin) ASAP. I only want to work traffic to get CPC status, then I want a desk position, work w/ the TMU, or any position that does NOT involve working traffic.

I finish up Basics this Friday, but the ppl who are in my study group (we're all Enroute) don't plan on working traffic for no more than 3 yrs after getting CPC certified PERIOD. One of the girls wants to go into Management, one guy wants to transfer to the NTSB, and I plan on going into Human Resources (or any position that involves pushing paper not tin) ASAP. I only want to work traffic to get CPC status, then I want a desk position, work w/ the TMU, or any position that does NOT involve working traffic.

Why????

Interesting. The whole reason my husband applied for this job is to WORK traffic. He hates the days in class full of lectures. He likes the labs. He can't wait to work with actual traffic. He has no desires to move up and on. His only "move up" is he would like to maybe be a Space Controller. He thinks it would be awesome to help control shuttles and such. Given that there are only 6 currently, it would be pretty hard to get the job but if he can, we would up and move to Florida in a second. In the end, the plan he made for himself is to work with air traffic (whether in the atmosphere or out of it).

Why go into this if you don't want to do it? It seems like a lot of wasted training to move to a desk job!!

If you move up/out then you have to work much longer... why would you do that? Put in your 20 if you're my age already or however long you have to go until 50 and be done.

Whenever i take tours or talk to my ATC teacher, it takes more than just a couple years to be TMU, takes seniority. And management, looking at several years. But other aspects of faa or NTSB. I was thinking airport safety would be a fun division.

Ya, I would tell all your buddies (and yourself) not to spread that around once they get to their facility. Your trainers aren't going to like to here that because you are their relief once you get CPC. They find out you are gonna CPC then just leave...ya...not gonna go well.

Ya, I would tell all your buddies (and yourself) not to spread that around once they get to their facility. Your trainers aren't going to like to here that because you are their relief once you get CPC. They find out you are gonna CPC then just leave...ya...not gonna go well.

We joke around with those "dreams" in class, but they do contain some potential for coming true (we hope) LOL, it's really like an inside joke among the study group, but moving forward; As for myself, I can't speak for the others, I like the office enviornment, and don't want to deal with the "stress" that i've heard that is associated with working traffic BUT!!! If "pushing paper instead of planes" means I can't retire @ 47 as planned which is (24yrs and 344 days away), then I'll work traffic, but I do want to move up to mgt position ASAP and as high as I possibly can (which I've learned on here not to tell a soul @ my facility b/c of the potential consequences). If I don't get into mgt, then i'll work the traffic, retire in the yrs and days mentioned above as planned and teach college chemistry and put my degree to use. Simple

Where's ATC RET 2003 when ya need him? :D

Rat cheer

Every job becomes routine and boring if you do it long enough.

It never did get that way for me.

Different strokes...

I found that 25.5 years of it was exactly enough for me. It was an awesome career and I have enjoyed NOT doing it just about as much. I did some staff time in the middle of it but found that I was much happier on the boards.

Rat cheer

It never did get that way for me.

Different strokes...

I found that 25.5 years of it was exactly enough for me. It was an awesome career and I have enjoyed NOT doing it just about as much. I did some staff time in the middle of it but found that I was much happier on the boards.

Were you tower or center? I have never even thought or knew there would be other options myself. I am kind of a pressure junky and perform well when the heat is on. I am OTS so I cant swear that I will be all in for the long haul but it certainly seems that way.

Weak. Thats all you people are. This job is about stress and working traffic and if that isn't what you want to do, then don't apply and save us all from your pathetic attempt at becoming an air traffic controller...

HD

Weak. Thats all you people are. This job is about stress and working traffic and if that isn't what you want to do, then don't apply and save us all from your pathetic attempt at becoming an air traffic controller...

HD

:yeahthat:Because if you mess up, you get to go have dinner with your family. I on the other hand go home in a box.

:yeahthat:Because if you mess up, you get to go have dinner with your family. I on the other hand go home in a box.

But a very nice box, I'm sure.

Just my .02, the same thing I told my interviewer, and the same thing that drives me today... I've always been in love with aviation. Sure, I'd love to fly, (maybe someday I'll own a little Cessna) but I'm good at organizing, prioritizing, and running my chops quickly. I first found out about ATC when I was drug testing controllers... and, well, I didn't have to chat long with more than a few of them to decide I was in the wrong line of work.

I hope and pray daily that I'll be working traffic and talking with pilots until I retire, or medical gives me the boot (I hope it's the former). I don't have any doubts that I'll always enjoy doing it - as bold of a statement as that may seem to some of the veteran controllers here. I honestly can't wait to get started.

(20 days 23hrs 20min)... not that I'm counting.

All opinions aside I don't understand how you couldn't be CPC for any less than 5 years before going into management. How would you even know HOW to manage or who or what before you even walk on your own two feet there?

Back