Will go anywhere.

I just went out for drinks with a 767 FO, who is female, and would probably beat you within a few inches of life for that statement! :)

I can totally understand that as well. :) I would not like to hear I was neck to neck with another pilot for the job interview but was put over the top because the company wanted character within. It's kinda like the female computer voice in the cockpit of an aircraft during an emergency. Enlighten me on the name of the system. Sorry, but it's our nature. Don't look deep in the emergency part of my explanation that is not what I mean in any way of things going wrong. To have a female in the workforce is good and says plenty about the company ... companies want to hire female pilots.

I would like to see it differently someday where it is all based on skill and type of flying that you have done rather than the #of hours, who you know, wealth in family, race, and sex. I find it is still all there but people are afraid to speak about it still to this day and pretend it's not still an issue.

In regards to the sexist issue (ha)...

I was a "member" of the worlds largest male gun club, the Marines.

Woman do find it very necessary to be better than every man we meet in what ever field it may be. That being said, some things have to be taken in stride. You can't always be the martyr.

Learn to joke with the guys and have a good attitude and you will be welcomed as a member of the club everywhere you go.

When I worked for a regional airline, I found there were a few women pilots who made a bad name for the rest of us. One female FO told her captains that she didn't do crosswind landings. But the truth is, if you work hard and have a good attitude, you will always be judged on your own merits. If you think everyone is discriminating against you, your attitude will create the problem you fear.

Congratulations on finding a job. Hopefully it leads to increased responsibility, experience and opens future doors.

I'm sure that an ever increasing majority of pilots are well aware that while not non-existent, sexism has little place in aviation. We've all grown up with sisters, mothers, daughters who are strong, independent and are doing for themselves.

That said..most of us are at least mildly inappropriate pranksters and jokers at times and thats sometimes how gusy communicate. Know what you're made of and surely you can distinguish between the awkward attempts at humor and those truly blind to your abilities. Forgive the first and play along, who cares about that later. I personally would never get tired of hearing someone say I was too damn sexy to be a pilot!

So you came here looking for help and as usual the JC community added their 2 cents. Care to share where you were hired, if they have any other oppourtunities, if you're excited about it? I'm not the most prolific or well spoken poster here but I notice quite often people will pop up with "Hey I need a job" and that's pretty much their involvement. You asked for a job on here a year ago as well. Never hurts to give back to the community.

So you came here looking for help and as usual the JC community added their 2 cents. Care to share where you were hired, if they have any other oppourtunities, if you're excited about it? I'm not the most prolific or well spoken poster here but I notice quite often people will pop up with "Hey I need a job" and that's pretty much their involvement. You asked for a job on here a year ago as well. Never hurts to give back to the community.

.....unless she's Team Saria19. :D

I'm amazed that sexism is still an issue at all, but it is. Several weeks ago, I had a broker ask to NOT work with me because, as he insinuated to our CP, 'I'm a woman and must not know anything about airplanes' (in not so many words)...hmm interesting. CP came to my defense, attesting personally for my experience as both a pilot and in the charter industry, but I was still floored.

But jackarses exist everywhere, not just aviation, gotta learn to roll with it, or be miserable. Martyrdom=Misery. I don't feel the need to prove myself to anyone, I hope that what I do and how I fly will speak for itself. But I understand why some women get defensive...hearing ignorant remarks ad nauseam tends to chip away at anyone. but a little joshing is just that, male or female.

What goes around comes around I suppose....when I needed to find a G3 earlier this week, I know of a particular broker who had one, and guess who I didn't call...instead I turned to the gentlemen of JC. (and I use the term 'gentlemen' loosely :D) Thanks guys.

.....unless she's Team Saria19. :D

:dunno: Can't help but notice your overwhelming need to tease me, MikeD.

I did ask a year ago if anyone knew where I could a job, and nothing came of it, so I went back to school for an extra year and got a second minor. I was not looking for jobs during that time, nor was I aware of my school hiring. In fact, they laid people off.

As for teasing, you'll find that I have very little tolerance for such nonsense. All too often I have seen such things go too far and go from harmless to just plain abusive, and have been victim to such acts myself. While it is fine every once in a while, I ask that you actually consider the targets that you tease and take into consideration your actions before you proceed. Many people are easily offended.

As for teasing, you'll find that I have very little tolerance for such nonsense. All too often I have seen such things go too far and go from harmless to just plain abusive, and have been victim to such acts myself. While it is fine every once in a while, I ask that you actually consider the targets that you tease and take into consideration your actions before you proceed. Many people are easily offended.

While I don't know you personally, the impression you give is that you have an exceptionally thin skin, and are easily offended. I have hired and fired many people in the past (although I'm not in a position to do either now), and I can tell you that an easily offended person is the last type of person I would hire. As a manager I simply didn't need all the "drama" that came with it.
Nothing MikeD seemed remotely offensive to me, and he always seems to be helpful when someone has a question. I don't know if you have a chip on your shoulder or I just missed the offensive posts.
There are two things that repeated often enough around here that I tend to believe is true.
1. Aviation is a small world. Try not to piss off too many folks along the way.
2. Once you get a certain amount of experience, the interviewer isn't concerned so much about your ability to fly the plane, but whether or not someone would mind being paired up with you for a 3-4 day trip. (airline job). A flight school owner would be wondering how you would be interacting with his customers. (students to you)

Not teasing you, but I'll be serious if you like.

I did ask a year ago if anyone knew where I could a job, and nothing came of it, so I went back to school for an extra year and got a second minor. I was not looking for jobs during that time, nor was I aware of my school hiring. In fact, they laid people off.

Ok.

Ok, you want the straight skinny? Do you understand the concept of a joke? You seriously need to loosen the hell up, and lighten up. Just through your posts, you remind me of Moira Kelly's character from the 1992 movie The Cutting Edge. In fact, with how thin-skinned you're coming across, and how "easily offended" you claim to be, who would hire you? You'd be a walking EEO complaint and huge liability that no employer would want to deal with, not to mention the chip on your shoulder that your co-workers would have to deal with. You may be very capable, but any capability you have would be FAR overshadowed by personality and attitude, which comes across as cold, overly serious, and an overinflated sense of entitlement since "I'm a female pilot." If you're easily offended, then you're in the wrong career.....and will spend most of your time being offended and pissed off.....want to live life that way?

You mention this:
(Glares) The last time someone dared to say that I wasn't going to be good at something because I was female, I insured that at the end of the semester there wasn't a single male who had a higher grade than me.

That right there says alot about you. First off, who the hell cares what someone says? To the point that you need to "prove them wrong"? You put WAY too much stock into what some nitwit thinks about you or a comment they make, and your focus is completely off. You're letting them control how you feel and what you do. What thats going to do is make nitwits be more this way towards you, just to see you react. Roll with it, show them you could care less what they think, have some confidence in yourself, and you wouldn't need to "prove" anything to anyone. From what you wrote above, you're really trying to prove that you're good enough to yourself, since I doubt any one of the comment-makers above really cared where you finished grade-wise. See my point?

Lighten up, smile a bit, loosen up, roll with things, have a little fun......if you don't, I guarantee your aviation career will be a short one, a lonely one, or a combination of both.

Here's how you come across, at least to me, scene from The Cutting Edge; Moira Kelly meeting DB Sweeney. Fast forward to 5:00 mark. Pretty good flick overall.

But what the hell do I know? I've only been in the flying business for just a little while.

[yt]Grpupg_AfXM&feature=PlayList&p=A98536326D7409A0&index=1[/yt]

MikeD = Truth about almost any real Job not locked to a chair (even then you could be in the most dangerous of territories) ...
I would never Hire a stiff and YES I can tell them on sight, A gift I guess...

I'm not sure why I feel compelled to write this, but I do...

After living with some female pilots in college (who are very good friends to this day), I found quickly that as a woman working in a male-dominated environment, many times you are almost forced to just roll with the jokes and seemingly "sexist" comments.

Why would you be expected to put up with such behavior? Well, because that is how men operate... You'll see men teasing men about any multitude of things, and we normally take it in stride. It's not personal, because to a man, teasing and joking is a form of "affection." It's "acceptance." The same goes for men "accepting" women in this highly male-dominated field. Do you truly believe most of the men really believe women are sub-standard pilots? Maybe a very small percentage... But if you look, you'll find that most male pilots have a very respectable view of their female co-workers.

Case in point: We were reviewing an event that occurred at our company today during a CRM class I was facilitating. There was a female captain in the class, sitting right in front of me. I kept saying, "he or she" while referring to the crew that participated in the event in question. At one point, out of curiosity, the captain in my class asked, "so wait, was this a woman here?" She asked because of my continued use of "he/she." I responded, "of course not, do you think a woman pilot could pull of something like this?" Obviously it was sarcasm, and she took it as such. We all had a good laugh. It was a pleasure having lunch with her and a few other pilots today, and it didn't create a "rift" in our professional relationship.

This does not just apply to the male/female differences in aviation. This applies to many different situations we find ourselves as professional pilots. Honestly, in my personal experiences, you'll find that joking and teasing each other about our differences is a way of accepting them. That's likely what you are seeing in this very thread.

I hope I'm explaining myself correctly... When I have coffee tomorrow I'll re-read this and maybe expand on my explanation. Thoughts?

I resemble that remark, 100%. Well put. :)

I like to think that I have rather thick skin and I roll with the punches very well. ;) Firebird2XC knows I'm a good sport.

I think it's because I'm a pirate. :yar:

Eh, I think the teasing would have been over on the first page of this thread had there been little retaliation to it. Just because you are entering into one of the most men dominated fields out there doesn't mean you have to stop acting like a woman.

Just do as Continental says "Work hard. Fly Right" and you will do fine in the industry. No need to get overly defensive about your ambitions, especially so early in your career.

I am only saying this stuff because I have seen what it produces. Others on JC here know who I am talking about. She will probably kill herself as a result of her attitude.

Congrats on your new job flying and I hope you continue to progress in your career.

Back