What's on Your Noggin? aka My Headset Oddysey

Bose

I agree with Jace the Ace. Dont get me started on Bose. They just try to satisfy the home-theather market with their small compactness and yes it is overmarketed and rated. Its kind of like one day when I went to the shop, DIGITAL HEADPHONES.. oh great so you will be listening to a bunch of clicks and beeps, great music isn't it.

I think for me a headset should be comfortable, and Enr is good to have, but not worth paying $1000 on some overmarketed equipment. I know I am not too familiar with headsets since I owned one since 5 years and am happy with them (except I have wear in the cable).

I don't even want to get into Live Audio topic and Bose. AND YES never underpower a sub, one of the worst damages to speakers occur due to underpowering and distortion and clipping of signal.

I've jumped around headsets as well. Started with the ol' David Clark for a long time. Moved to the FlightCom Passive Denali when I was a CFI, and used it for a while at Chicago Express. Until I purchased the Telex ANR 500 from Chris, which was an awesome headset (yeah, still have it! Have all my headsets actually). Used it in the Saab, then in the jet. Only thing was, when flying three and four hour legs, it would irritate my big ears a bit.

So I switched to the Planetronics with molded earpieces. I loved that headset. Comfortable on long legs, lightweight. Just wish I had the earpiece clip for the mic, rather than the headband. Had the dual tube too, so I could use it in both ears. Kept getting complaints from Captains though for the background noise it would pick up. I didn't care, the actual headset cost $10 band new on E-bay!

But finally gave it up for the Bose X. I used it for one trip, and just didn't like it. It was too fragile, and not worth the $1000 to me. Yeah, it was comfortable, clear, etc., but just not this magical headset I expected it to be. Plus, it was too difficult to store in my flight kit, and I really didn't want to leave a $1000 headset in the weather room in EWR!

So I picked up the Telex 750. Use it now with earplugs, and I love it. I don't like having to use earplugs, but that's fine. It's very quiet, clear, and comfortable on the longest of legs. I flew a four-hour leg yesterday (after a diversion) and didn't bother me once. Lightweight.

I just can't wait to fly a jet that I don't need a headset like this. Or I can use the 750 without earplugs. That would be nice.

Back