David Clark Pro-X Headset

Max Power

Did a search and can't quite get the answer I'm looking for. I've gone from the Dash 8 to the Embraer 145 and I'm considering a new headset. I've been a loyal Lightspeed Zulu user for years now(currently Zulu 2) and loyal to LS in general. I've always said that I'd go Bose if I bought new again but now I'm not sure.

The Zulu's were awesome in the Dash 8( I used Bose A20 briefly for a tryout and they even better). But the Dash was all low-frequency vibration and rumble. The 145, especially from 10k to the mid 20's above 250 indicated is ALL wind noise. I tried my old Telex 850's (which I really liked because the no-battery ANR) which were fine in the Citation 550/560 but inadequate for the 145.

So I'm intrigued by the DC Pro X. Most reviews are promising, but there's not many 145 specific reviews. Lots of positive reviews for use in piston aircraft, but again, that's a different quality of noise. I understand that on-ear and over the ear headsets aren't going to be the same in terms of both passive and active noise cancelling. But the Zulus feel bulky in the 145 cockpit, but I don't know if the Pro X will be adequate enough. Bose is still an option, they aren't as bulky as Lightspeed, but if I can do on-ear vs over-ear, I'd prefer that. ( I don't like in-ear, so those aren't an option)

Last edited:
Not in a 145 but in a Citation M2 and I really like the Pro-X. I've used Bose A10s and A20s in the Citation and thought it was too much clamping and weight for the noise level in the jet. The Pro-X cuts down on the wind noise quite a bit more than the Telex ship's headset but still is much lighter weight and less clamping than the over-ear options. They also fold up into an extremely small package--takes up easily 1/3 the space of a Bose.

I’ve never flown the 145, but I’ve used the pro x in everything I’ve flown from 207s to 737s and I’ve not been disappointed. I did have one side go dead and DC was very quick and helpful with getting it repaired. I’ve had my current set for 5 or 6 years and they’re holding up well.

I've found them to be great for the low altitude, high speed flying wind noise often dealt with flying in and out of the northeast. Up high, it's no big deal, but the blue tooth and the option to not mute music with intercom activation was wonderful.

I would recommend more ANR power for the 145 personally. I used my Bose X in the 145 and I’m using the Pro-X now in the Airbus.

I would recommend more ANR power for the 145 personally. I used my Bose X in the 145 and I’m using the Pro-X now in the Airbus.

This is what I'm concerned with. It seems that you need the passive noise reduction provided by the around the ear muffs as well as the ANR to drown out what's left. I'm also considering the DC 1X ( over the ear) now.

Did a search and can't quite get the answer I'm looking for. I've gone from the Dash 8 to the Embraer 145 and I'm considering a new headset. I've been a loyal Lightspeed Zulu user for years now(currently Zulu 2) and loyal to LS in general. I've always said that I'd go Bose if I bought new again but now I'm not sure.

The Zulu's were awesome in the Dash 8( I used Bose A20 briefly for a tryout and they even better). But the Dash was all low-frequency vibration and rumble. The 145, especially from 10k to the mid 20's above 250 indicated is ALL wind noise. I tried my old Telex 850's (which I really liked because the no-battery ANR) which were fine in the Citation 550/560 but inadequate for the 145.

So I'm intrigued by the DC Pro X. Most reviews are promising, but there's not many 145 specific reviews. Lots of positive reviews for use in piston aircraft, but again, that's a different quality of noise. I understand that on-ear and over the ear headsets aren't going to be the same in terms of both passive and active noise cancelling. But the Zulus feel bulky in the 145 cockpit, but I don't know if the Pro X will be adequate enough. Bose is still an option, they aren't as bulky as Lightspeed, but if I can do on-ear vs over-ear, I'd prefer that. ( I don't like in-ear, so those aren't an option)
If you've got external power, what I'm about to say will make little difference. That said, in a race between the big 3, I've found the Light Speeds to offer the best default (unpowered) sound reduction in every situation in which I've been able to test.

Also, for me at least, the LightSpeeds are the most comfortable with the least clamping while still offering the best ear seal. All that likely depends on the shape of one's noggin, however, so your mileage may vary. Overall, the cancellation in all of the big 3 is pretty darned good. Ergo, I go for comfort as the metric with the heaviest loading in the matrix.

Back