What's making all that racket!?!

invadertim

In my experence, its always my fault.
Your local flying hedge trimmers, as photographed from my back window. They look to be clearing a power line cut that runs along the river valley behind my house.

IMG_20240117_102539.jpg
IMG_20240117_102559.jpg
IMG_20240117_102431.jpg

Mad Max: Furiosa Road Part 2 -- "We can make kerosene now!"

Primarily use Hughes 500/C/D/E helos for how stable of machines they are. In the case of the photos here and in the video here, a Hughes 500D.

It is pretty sinister in an “I’m gonna get medieval on you” kind of way.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/at7IEOq4AJc

Jesus….Dangling fast spinning sharp circular blades from a helicopter right next to high voltage power lines…….what could possibly go wrong?!?:oops:
Whatever they pay him it ain’t enough!

Primarily use Hughes 500/C/D/E helos for how stable of machines they are. In the case of the photos here and in the video here, a Hughes 500D.

It is pretty sinister in an “I’m gonna get medieval on you” kind of way.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/at7IEOq4AJc

Which is funny before for the stick wiggle perspective they really aren’t.

I hated flying the H6. No hydraulic assisted controls it was like arm wrestling/pummeling with somebody the whole time to hold a steady hover.

The guys that have flown it a real long time just use the thumb electrical trim switch and basically have the feel for being a human FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is funny before for the stick wiggle perspective they really aren’t.

I hated flying the H6. No hydraulic assisted controls it was like arm wrestling/pummeling with somebody the whole time to hold a steady hover.

The guys that have flown it a real long time just use the thumb electrical trim switch and basically have the feel for being a human FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You learn finesse with the light helos. Always interesting seeing the career Blackhawk pilots coming in to an MD500 or even an AS350/H125. Even the latter, with hyd, is such a squirelly platform in hover. Plus, your round-bottom helos like the 500 or H125 are going to be more unstable in an IGE hover than your flat bottom ones like the Huey and Hawk. But these guys used to a career of Boost/trim/SAS/FPS, really creates a “lazy” helicopter pilot. They’re good pilots, but with so long of the helicopter doing so much for them, it takes them a little bit to get back into doing the pilot stuff :)

Same with when I fly on the Blackhawk with newer guys. In a hover for hoist work, they’ll be somewhat unstable. “This thing sucks to hover!”. Well, if you get your feet off the trim switches and onto the floor, it hovers fine. It’s trying to help you and you’re doing everything to work against it. Then, same pilot moves over to light helo…..gets into hover and puts feet on the floor…”What the hell are you doing?!?! get your feet back on the pedals!!”

Love the Hughes/MD500 series, but much prefer no tail rotor in the MD520/600/900 series. Great tech that is underrated. But is unfortunately more cost.

Love the Hughes/MD500 series, but much prefer no tail rotor in the MD520/600/900 series. Great tech that is underrated. But is unfortunately more cost.
I don't understand why the NOTAR is so expensive. It has less parts trying to separate from the aircraft at high velocity at any given moment. Less parts=less MX= less money right? I have spoken to some pilots that were very adept in the 500 and the 520 and they all said the 500D was a Ferrari and the 520 was a Cadillac, perhaps the level of precision required for trimming trees next to power lines using a slung load flinging sharp things isn't available in a 520. I'm also afraid of external spinny things that might kill me. I spent enough time working on a ramp to decide jets are better for everyone not sitting in the aircraft.

Back