What should I do?...eye issue.

ILSstud

Well I've been putting in some thought to the condition I have with my eyes....and it doesn't make me too terribly happy. Anyway basically when I was younger I had a cross eye and had to wear a patch to correct it until I was like 13. Anyway that eye is now very much strengthened, but with corrective lenses, it can only be corrected to 20/25. In both eyes collectively I am 20/20...but I have gone to several really good eye doctors in Florida, and they can only seem to get the correction with glasses in my right eye down to 20/25. All the pilot friends I have say do not get a waiver (i.e. a SODA waiver) unless I have exhausted all other means. So what should I do? Somehow I've been able to get classII medicals three times even though the regs say 20/20 in each eye individually.
Thanx

My last medical exam he just checked my vision in both eyes. Honestly, I don't think I've ever had each eye checked individually, and I've gotten a 1st class both times.

Lemme guess. Amblyopia?

I have the same thing. But you can't tell them I'm an amblyope unless I've had way too much Jaegermeister as Pilot602, Mavamb1 and MikeD have experienced.

20/15 in the left eye and about 20/25 in the right eye, but I'm usually able to squeeze out reading 20/20.

I did have a medical flight waiver for a class two for a few years, but I learned that if you (squint)^2, you can usually read the 20/20 line.

I'll try it on my next medical...thanx Doug!
BTW i have to say THANX for such a great site...it's my new internet hangout :)

Mine too. It's about all I do these days!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lemme guess. Amblyopia?

I have the same thing. But you can't tell them I'm an amblyope unless I've had way too much Jaegermeister as Pilot602, Mavamb1 and MikeD have experienced.

20/15 in the left eye and about 20/25 in the right eye, but I'm usually able to squeeze out reading 20/20.

I did have a medical flight waiver for a class two for a few years, but I learned that if you (squint)^2, you can usually read the 20/20 line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

What don't you have! Heart Murmors, Amblyopia...Your an inspiration to us all!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Frankenstein's monster with a first class medical.....

Doug Great Pic....
Must be nice to have an easy eye test. I have get form 8500-14 filled out everytime for glaucoma in order to get my 1st Class with no restrictions....That eye test sucks and takes about an 1 hour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

you can always take a line from the space cowboys and memorize that eye chart as you walk in the room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Idea but unfortunately more and more doctors are using that damn computer that random displays letters on a mirror.

Re: Doug---Delta Physicals?

Doug,

How is the physical at Delta similar/different to that of a normal AME's 1st class? Are they pretty tough?

Chris

With that pic Doug I bet you gave your momma all she could handle when you were little...The woman must be a Saint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I was a childhood stutterer so I went thru a couple of speech therapy when I was in preschool/kindergarten.

Believe me, I've been told "No you can't do it" my entire life by a variety of people for years for a plethora of reasons! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I figured I'd try to give something back to the aviation community to honor those folks that helped me out and the one-finger salute to those that said I couldn't do it.

There's probably more, but I'm sure I've shared enough!

Re: Doug---Delta Physicals?

[ QUOTE ]
How is the physical at Delta similar/different to that of a normal AME's 1st class? Are they pretty tough?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it, but I fogged the mirror when they held it up to my nostrils, so I passed.

However, they did take an UNGODLY amount of blood and did three individual MMPI's (MN Multiphase Personality Inventory Testing) and I sat in the comfortable happy chair in a happy place with a Dr. Vanderplatt, a psychaitrist, for a 40 minute conversation laden with 'interesting' questions.

[ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I've been told "No you can't do it" my entire life by a variety of people for years for a plethora of reasons!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto here, Doug.

My high school guidance "councilor" actually said... and I quote:

<font color="blue">I wouldn't even think about going to college. You're just not college material. </font>

Almost make me wish the old bat were still alive so that I could mail her a copy of my TWO college diplomas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Seriously. I almost got axed by asthma as a kid. It was so bad I was diagnosed with CF three times. Now? I hold a first class medical with no restrictions. I swam for 8 years in high school. I'm in a Div. IA college marching band. Teachers told me I couldn't do it, parents still don't think I can pull it off as a profession (my Mom thinks I'm going to get myself killed), but that ain't gonna stop me.

And you know why? BECAUSE OF JETCAREERS.COM, THAT'S WHY!

[/cheese]

Cheese is good!

I'm married to a Wisconsinite.

Tell your folks that I know a widebody captain with Asthma... But you know, it's on the 'down low' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've talked with some other guys that fly for mainline carriers and they all say they know a few folks that have asthma. The biggest problem with the condition (it's a condition, not a disese BTW, most people don't know that) is the drugs that come with it to keep you maintained. They're all FAA approved, but man was it a pain to shove it through the first time. For some reason people think that if you have asthma you could die at any second. The last time I really stopped breathing was when I was about 2-3. Since then I've managed to swim 5,000 meters in a day and go out and play in my rock band later that night.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do what you want do is right.

Back