What happens if you join an airline with an ATP?

varunster

Hi all,
I am unsure about the protocol for joining an airline after already earning an Airline Transport Pilot License. Since you are already "trained" would you go straight into a flight engineer/first officer role?
Thank you,
Varun

You're treated like everyone else. No one really cares. You have to go through training just like the people without one.

Are you applying for a pilot position? If yes, then you are treated like any other new hire pilot. If you are applying for any other job posting, but already have an ATP, they will not say, "Oh, you have an ATP, we are making you a pilot instead."

Hi all,
I am unsure about the protocol for joining an airline after already earning an Airline Transport Pilot License. Since you are already "trained" would you go straight into a flight engineer/first officer role?
Thank you,
Varun

Initial training is identical. The only difference I noticed during intial was that those of us with an ATP were either former part 135 or 121 pilots and we had a much deeper experience pool to pull from during training.

I wonder if AA has a specific janitor, or crew, that is trained to clean all the food particles out of Abends epic 'stache?

Back