Well here it is!

Ridgewoodpilot

Well the time has come for me to possibly make my move into a career in aviation. I'm 39 with 2 kids a wife and have a stressful job that I've put most of my soul into. I've saved up for a good 3-4 years of living expenses in all. With extra tucked away for a rainy day. Let me back up.
I started flying about 15 years ago. It took me all of about 4 years to save up for my private license then. After which I kept on saving for the rest of my ratings. I'm now a CFI/CFII (part time) for just over 2 years. My situation isn't the norm. I grew up in NYC. Parents had no dough. I had to leave High School for a job and got my GED just to help pay bills at the time. In the mean time I went back to school part time and got my Associates degree. I'm taking online classes for my BA right now. I wouldn't change a thing being that my parents are now retired and happy, partially due to some of the help I've pitched in with. I'm married with 2 kids (4 and 1 Y/O). My wife will be working soon as a teacher and this will free me up of some responsibility to go for my career in aviation as a pilot. My goals are aimed for a cargo or corporate career. I have an instructors job lined up full time when I make my move. I should be there for at least a year.
The one thing I'm a little worried about is how the industry will look at my resume. 15 years to get my licenses, GED, etc.... It seems that the competition will be brutal. I'm a hard worker and don't normally bitch about much when it comes to working. I've seen the bad jobs and they don't scare me anymore. I can't see how I will get this across on my resume. Just passed my Class 1 medical, good physical shape, 600 hours TT with about 20 hours ME. I guess its just that I need some opinions here at the moment being that this moment was always so far away and now its staring me in the face. So go on let me have it.

I am a low time private pilot and am looking at a career in aviation myself. At 30 I kept feeling I am too old to be starting. It was great to read your post and see what you have achieved!

Well done! Hard work ALWAYS pays off. Wish you the best and hope your dreams come true in 2011.

Cheers

NOT TOO OLD!!! I changed careers 4 years ago at 31 . . . Did much of the same thing you are doing. . saved, saved, saved, and then saved some more so I could live while getting my ratings and trying to support my family while making no money flight instructing.
Go for it!! make sure your wife knows that the 9-5 thing is over in your world, and that having money in the bank will soon be over as well. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, just some tunnels are longer than others!

I ended up flying corporate (better QOL than the airlines) and I am loving it! I'm home nearly every night and get paid pretty well for what I do. Youll find in aviation that the age thing might actually help you out. Passengers like to see some maturity behind the raybands. I see that a TON in the field I work in. When your loading the heads of companys in the plane a long with their families, the last thing they want to see is a 21 year old behind the controls. You'll also see that it will help you during all phases of flight training and a ton during instructing. You just have more experience than the younger guys, and usualy build on your life experiences to help your through trouble subject areas, and trouble students (I still get called when my old flight school has a "trouble student"). I have also found that folks who have been in the "world" and have sacrificed to get to this point, tend to be much more motivated than the trust-fund younder folks (not all but most).

Anyway, good luck, have fun post often, and welcome aboard!

At age 38 I walked away from a 6 figure corporate desk job that I could have held for the rest of my life. I was stressed out and hated going to work. I could think of little more than flying for a living. My son was born 2 months before I made my career change so needless to say there was a slight terror factor involved in the transition. After flight instructing for just under a year I was offered a right seat job in a Hawker, 1 year after that I made Captain. I will second what Jerry said regarding age in Corporate flying. Your age, being a family man and the path you have taken will only help you.

It's going to take a lot of sacrafice but it can be done. Treat everyone you meet with respect and work your tail off and with a little luck you will have it made.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the encouraging responses. You would think a guy at my age don't need the extra help. It's been a tough few days and feel under the weather. I seem to keep on making the mistake of over thinking the future in worse case scenarios (financially) and completely psyche myself out of pursuing a career in aviation. Don't know about you all but I've been going back and forth with this for close to 3 years now, very embarrassing. The more I speak about it with people though, the more it seems that I'm going to have jump in and opportunities will start to present themselves.

I went back and forth about it for about 5 years! I finally came to the conclusion that I could always return to an office job if I had to. However, I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't at least try to fly for a living. That and my wife told me to either make the move or quit bitching.

Ridgewoodpilot,
Your life pretty much resembles mine ! I'm 39 as well with 2 young kids an my wife is also a teacher. I got my licences in 1996 and went no further. I have been working in the construction field ever since. It has paid the bills and some... Now I don't intend to change career, I like my bed too much !! But I still would like to get the CFI ticket and work as one, part time if the opportunity arises in my hometown (New Orleans). I got the funds and can devote the time.. I got 2 problems though and I believe you have the answers i'm looking for. Number 1: How did you organize your home study sessions (as I'm typing this the kids are yelling my name every 2 seconds). Number 2: Lazy 8s and all the manoeuvres are unfortunatly a distant memory, how difficult was it to get back in the game ?
In short, how did you do it ?
Wanabe, Jerrywhite7, Sunny441, your input will be appreciated too !!!

Renasissance, I'd say, get your wife on board as well and then you guys work as a team to allow you the time to study. And in doing that, I would get out of the house. Go to the local library or starbucks at least 3 times a week for a few hours. This might even have to be after the kids go to bed, and you get want to sit down and watch TV adn relax. The CFI is not an easy rating to get, so a lot of very, very hard work is in store for you, so be prepared.

Also, Dauntless software has many of the questions and answers to the different test availible for an MP3 download, so as you are driving around, you can have it playing over your car speakers or whatever.

And finaly, spend sometime at your local FBO. This will help you stay motivated and guys around you can help you along the way WHEN you have questions.

The manuvers will come back to you, but things will be different because now you are teaching them while flying, and you are now doing it from the right seat . . . so things are going to be a bit different.
Good luck with everything, keep us all posted on your progress! Come up with a game plan, and stick to it as best you can!!! Expect it to take you at least 6 months.

Ridgewoodpilot: I am in a similar boat. I'm 47, have a full time job, although I could retire from it at a moment's notice and I work part time doing CFII ing at a flight school. I've been instructing part time for a few years having only recently got into flying. Although I always keep one eye out for that better flying job, I can't complain (too much lol) even when flying the mighty 172 and the student thinks he can make the runway as long as he keeps pulling back the wheel........ LOL I thought long and hard about the airlines, even considered the glossy brochure schools as a way to get their sooner. What I came to realize though is there are opportunities out there besides the airlines. I think networking and being at the airport are both helpful ways to increase your visibility. I got a job CFI ing when I wasn't even trying. I was actually at the airport inquiring about renting. I think they liked seeing a guy who didn't answer every question with "what happened?"

I'm done writing the lesson plans for the private pilot syllabus. Beside new maneuvers and high altitude operations, the rest of the areas of operation look identical. So if I write lesson plans for those new areas from the commercial pliot PTS, do I have everything covered ? Please do me a favor and take a look at one of my lesson plans and tell me if that's what we are talking about ?
Thanks,
renaissance

Attachments

• AIRWORTHINESS REQUIREMENTS.pdf
    179.7 KB · Views: 287
I was in your boat...I was in a bad accident as a kid HS...I got my GED. I married young and got a pt job pumping fuel at a local FBO to pay for my private 15 years ago. I'm 37 now, got laid off and decided to go and get my commercial. I got my commercial mid March and didn't have enough left in the bank to keep paying bills and pay for a CFI rating. I've been searching for about month now and finally landed a job at only 315 hours total time with 60 hours multi. I also may be hearing back on getting an even better job in a co pilot position. I think my age and maturity is a good thing. I say go for it...

K, I understand everybody here wants to share their awesome success stories, but somebody needs to shed some light on the not so great things about having a flying career. I started flying when I was 18, went to college, decided "I wanna fly, and not live behind a desk". Finished my ratings and started instructing at age 23. Instructing sucks. Its a terrible existence and I wish it on no soul. I was hired by American Eagle in May of 08 only to be told on my last day at the "jet transition course" that they were parking 100 planes and they didn't need us anymore.

SO I went back to instructing for another year. Got picked up by who I thought was an awesome student that needed a pilot to fly his baron. He then got a king air and I thought I was the cats ass. He then decided to sell everything and again I was jobless. He called back 3 months later and told me he was buying a Citation Mustang and that he wanted me to fly it. Only catch was I had to pick up my roots and move my life to the of america. I was again, the cats ass. Fast forward 10 months and I was once again spit out of this jackass' tornado of flakiness. Except this time I had a new born and a wife I needed to support. I know everybody hates desk jobs and all that, but there is something to be said about stability and having an income... needless to say being jobless 3 times in the past 5 years has made me JUST a tad jaded. Being a pilot isn't what its all cracked up to be. I'm just playing the devils advocate and I don't mean to bring you off your high, but you need to hear both sides. Good luck.

Fodell,
Sounds like you had a tough time. Not all stories are the same and sometimes a little of the ole keep your eyes peeled is necessary. I have been a part time instructor for the last 2+ years and truly enjoy it. A job is what you make it. Sounds to me that with all the issues you have had in aviation you still chose to stick it out. Something to be said. Don't know if I speak for others but being well aware that a job is a job, I still would rather have some pride in what I do and set an example to my kids as well. On a higher note a good buddy of mine had just landed a job flying hawkers. He was a CFI with me and showed well. Solid company with fair starting pay. I should add that living here in NY plays an advantage to making contacts. In addition we are swamped with corporate flying. There sure is a lot of bad in every industry, believe me. When you're caught in the line of fire there is no way out. Again, every industry. In short I would rather get canned and leave with a skill like flying than leave a desk job with nothing but stress. This day and age no one job is safe....

Two men are in the hospital and on their death bed. The minister arrives to speak with them.

The first man worked hard his whole life to make lots of money and had lots of things. He is going through his memories and photos of all the great success he achieved which consists of boats, cars, houses, and such. He is dreaming of all the things he wished he could still do as he hangs onto these items he can't take with him.

The second one is quite poor but had many careers and traveled the world (okay, the bad part is he may have had many wives too!). He is going through pictures of his travels and remembering all those who touched his life and he touched theirs. He has no more dreams as he pursued all his. Some turned out great. Other dreams turned out not so great.

Both are smiling as their minds wonder.

The minister now in the room asks the first. Do you have any last wishes to share? Any things you wished you tried? The man talks how he wonders how things would have turned out if he tried to open a business, tried to be a pilot, and took that trip to Australia for 2 months even though his job said he may not have one if he took that much time off. He slowly talks as he fades away as he continues to wonder what could have been. Eyes closed, he continues to fade.

The minister now asks the second man. What do you wish you could have done? Silence. Minster asks again. In silence the man just smiles and closes his eyes.

I'd rather be man number two when the time comes. How about you?

Follow your dreams. You can always go back to where you came from. But a road never taken or a dream never pursued is a wish never granted.

Oh man. It's late. I better go to bed. I'm starting to sound all silly.

Back