Video of forced landing in Australia

Oh, well the FAA is surely the least of my worries, because the airplane probably actually hit a large fuel storage tank, started a fire that burned down half the town, made babies cry, and killed a few kittens. By the time the bajillion dollar lawsuit is over I dont know what I'll do.

Intellectual discussion is off the table I guess.

A motorglider is designed to be flown as a glider. A balloon is not designed to be flown without gas. Not seeing the relevance.
exactly..not seeing the relevance of comparing shutting off the engine in an aircraft with the engine supposed to be running with one where it's perfectly acceptable to fly around without it running.
Heck I bet it's better to shut off the gas in a balloon than it is to shut of the engine on a Cessna.

The point was that this is now a discussion of apples, potatoes, and welding equipment.

Ok. So what if you did this in a Diamond Motorglider. What's your opinion of it then.

I understand your correlation but reject the similarity of a Cessna with a purposeful engine shutdown. A motorglider was designed to climb on power and glide to land, the Cessna was designed to climb and land with power.

There is a reason engine-out landings is an emergency checklist and not a landing checklist in the Cessna.

Heck I bet it's better to shut off the gas in a balloon than it is to shut of the engine on a Cessna.

I'd put shutting an engine down in a Cessna as less dangerous than shutting the gas off in a balloon. Remember, you just shut down the only flight control a balloon has.

This thread just went:
dumbfounded.gif

I'd put shutting an engine down in a Cessna as less dangerous than shutting the gas off in a balloon. Remember, you just shut down the only flight control a balloon has.
it's not going to just come falling down is it?

Well never mind, I was just saying that the comparison between a motorized glider has the same relevance.

yes magic.
:ooh:

no but it's not going to cool off so fast that it just falls, will it? I really don't know...

It's going to come down, how quick, depends on the heat in the envelope and environmental conditions. Needless to say, given the choice, I'll dead stick a Cessna in everyday and twice on Sunday before I run out of gas in a balloon. At least with the Cessna I got options.

It's going to come down, how quick, depends on the heat in the envelope and environmental conditions. Needless to say, given the choice, I'll dead stick a Cessna in everyday and twice on Sunday before I run out of gas in a balloon. At least with the Cessna I got options.
you a balloon pilot?

I would say that no gas in a ballon and a cessna with the engine shut off are closer together than a motorized glider, then.

I would say that no gas in a ballon and a cessna with the engine shut off are closer together than a motorized glider, then.

I wouldn't. I don't think you understand, a balloon has one flight control, the heat of the air. Take that away, you have nothing. I'd say a balloon with no gas is similar to an airplane with no engine and the flight control lock installed.

I wouldn't. I don't think you understand, a balloon has one flight control, the heat of the air. Take that away, you have nothing. I'd say a balloon with no gas is similar to an airplane with no engine and the flight control lock installed.
so both are emergencies....

Other than a 10:1 vs a 20:1 ratio, I see no difference between a a Cessna with the engine off and the motorglider with the engine off. Same physics, same controls, same options.
uh wouldn't a motorized glider be able to..uh, glide and potentially fly with the correct conditions? A cessna isn't going to be able to do that, unless you happen to be on a mountain wave.

Back