Video of forced landing in Australia

My job is to mitigate risk as much as possible, so perhaps I am not seeing the logic as clearly as some. I spent many years as a CFI so I know the importance of realism in training. I still do not see the huge upside inducing an emergency landing.

Nobody "needs" to fly gliders and MEI's could just explain what single engine operations are like too. Some things are best experienced.

Except you can shut off a gliders engine and I don't think any MEI in the world would do a landing with an engine shut down.

Some things are best experienced.

If a flight instructor can't create scenarios for a student that are realistic representations of an emergency, that's the instructors fault. Shutting off an engine in flight for anything other than a real emergency is negligent.

It is a very different story, it's much safer in the single engine Cessna.

It's stupid.

You're painting yourself into a box you might not be able to get out of. What if Joe-Bob decides to taxi on the active with his Piper Cub? What if you get a stiff wind that pushes you short? What if the student isn't quick enough to crank the motor when he needs it?

Painting yourself in a corner.

I have no problem with MEI's shutting down an engine as a training tool. However, a Cessna, different story.
Yeah, but canning one at rotation is probably a bad idea.

Fortunately, that's why God said "Let there be simulation" and we saw that it was good.

It's stupid.

You're painting yourself into a box you might not be able to get out of. What if Joe-Bob decides to taxi on the active with his Piper Cub?

Could you imagine sitting across the table from the FAA trying to explain that one???

"Why didn't you just go around?"

"Uhhhh....."

The FAA is never going to be impressed with one's supposedly awesome flying skills. They will however have something to say if you cause an accident out of it.

I still do not see the huge upside inducing an emergency landing.

I dont consider a planned and controlled deadstick glide to an airport to be an induced emergency landing because the airplane is fully controlled, energy is fully managed, and all systems are functioning as the pilot intends.

We've had this discussion on this board several times in the past few years. It comes down to the people who had it as part of their training understand how unexceptional it really is and the people who've never done it think its crazy.... so whatever. I'm not worried about changing your mind. I just think it's funny when people see things they haven't done and feel the need to label it risky/negligent/dangerous. Seems we've had several threads along these lines lately.

If a flight instructor can't create scenarios for a student that are realistic representations of an emergency, that's the instructors fault. Shutting off an engine in flight for anything other than a real emergency is negligent.

I'm sorry you think so.

Except you can shut off a gliders engine and I don't think any MEI in the world would do a landing with an engine shut down.

Gliders generally dont have engines, yet amazingly, hundreds fly every day and they dont even suddenly smack into a bunch of airplanes on final/departing.

The fatal accident rate due to a single engine being out in a twin is 5x higher than an engine failure in a single engine airplane. So, you're argument is based on an emotional response due to lack of experiencing the situation presented, not reality.

You're painting yourself into a box you might not be able to get out of. What if Joe-Bob decides to taxi on the active with his Piper Cub? What if you get a stiff wind that pushes you short? What if the student isn't quick enough to crank the motor when he needs it? Painting yourself in a corner.

If someone gets in the way you can hit the starter and go around. If you cannot manage energy well enough to make it to a runway when its windy you shouldn't be teaching, but lets say a mysterious front moved in from the time you turned downwind-to-base and now there's a 20 knot headwind.... hit the starter. In the very unlikely case that the starter now died, you side step and land in the grass or taxiway... wow that was exciting. It's a Cessna/Piper, not a DC-10.

Could you imagine sitting across the table from the FAA trying to explain that one

Funny you mention it, one of the instructors I know who endorses this IS an FAA inspector now.

really? actually shutting off the engine for a simulated emergency? wait...really? It is an emergency if you don't make the field...or if you have to go around. Doesn't make sense to me. All of my mentors said let's not make a real emergency out of a simulated one.

Sorry, can't get on this bus.

Oh and every time during my simulated engine failure the instructor (and my DPE's) would cycle the engine rpm up and back to make sure it was working and to not foul the plugs...

Really its fine if you dont want to do it, I'm not trying to convince you to, but I personally am a lot more nervous flying at night in a single than I am doing deadstick landings. I'm just hoping that some people who are quick to judge might realize this is actually pretty normal in some areas and no it's not extremely risky and some people actually think it helps build better pilots. Do what you want with that.

Here's another video, warning, it's incredibly unexciting.

you can bet, I was wide awake ;)

There are a few airports around here where its best to just turn off the landing light at night so that the deer grazing along the side of the runway dont give you a heart attack. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

I dont consider a planned and controlled deadstick glide to an airport to be an induced emergency landing because the airplane is fully controlled, energy is fully managed, and all systems are functioning as the pilot intends.

All systems aren't functioning when the big fan out front is purposefully turned off.

We've had this discussion on this board several times in the past few years. It comes down to the people who had it as part of their training understand how unexceptional it really is and the people who've never done it think its crazy.... so whatever. I'm not worried about changing your mind. I just think it's funny when people see things they haven't done and feel the need to label it risky/negligent/dangerous. Seems we've had several threads along these lines lately.

An engine failure in a single engine airplane doesn't have to be exceptional. Of course I've only had 4 so what would I know? The point is, you can still train a single-engine engine out scenario without putting yourself and your student at risk.

I'm sorry you think so.

The FAA would agree with me.

Gliders generally dont have engines, yet amazingly, hundreds fly every day and they dont even suddenly smack into a bunch of airplanes on final/departing.

That's my point. You comparing a glider landing to a Cessna with the engine purposefully shut off is apples to potatoes.

The fatal accident rate due to a single engine being out in a twin is 5x higher than an engine failure in a single engine airplane. So, you're argument is based on an emotional response due to lack of experiencing the situation presented, not reality.

I'm not emotional, I'm just at a loss as to why you think it's ok to put yourself and a student in a high risk environment unnecessarily. My point was that MEIs will demonstrate an engine out scenario with a student at altitude but they more than likely will never do a landing with an engine purposefully shut down.

If someone gets in the way you can hit the starter and go around. If you cannot manage energy well enough to make it to a runway when its windy you shouldn't be teaching, but lets say a mysterious front moved in from the time you turned downwind-to-base and now there's a 20 knot headwind.... hit the starter. In the very unlikely case that the starter now died, you side step and land in the grass or taxiway... wow that was exciting. It's a Cessna/Piper, not a DC-10.

Funny you mention it, one of the instructors I know who endorses this IS an FAA inspector now.

A 20 knot headwind that won't let me make the runway but the grass next to the runway? I'll follow you down that rabbit hole and assume a 20kt headwind appeared. You're now in the neighborhood among trees and houses and kids. Wow, that was exciting.

If by some miracle you do have an FAA inspector who thinks this is a great teaching idea, that's fantastic. Think he'll be on the board at your revocation hearing?

Think he'll be on the board at your revocation hearing?

Oh, well the FAA is surely the least of my worries, because the airplane probably actually hit a large fuel storage tank, started a fire that burned down half the town, made babies cry, and killed a few kittens. By the time the bajillion dollar lawsuit is over I dont know what I'll do.

Back