USMC C130

JM91

I’m a junior in college (math major) with an aviation contract with the USMC. I know with the Marines it’s about being an officer first and the “needs of the Corps” come before all else. I know I’d be happy flying pretty much any airframe the Marines operate. However, I also know that when it comes time to select which airframe I want I will definitely put C-130’s as my first choice. Are there any USMC Herc pilots out there who have some advice on upping my chances of getting a Hercules slot? I’ve heard such slots are rather limited. Thanks in advance!

Nothing you can really do until you get to flight school to increase your odds of getting any particular airframe. Complete OCS, TBS, and then do as well as you possibly can in API and primary. From there, the service will determine what they need, and if your desires align with those needs. Typically, graduating primary at the top of your class is the best method to get what you want.

As a caveat, I'm a USN FA18 guy, so I can't really speak to specifics of the Herk, but everyone (USN and USMC SNA) goes through the same process up through pipeline selection at the end of primary.

Go to officer candidate school (10 week course) with a designation as an “Air Candidate” and understand that’s a one time designation. That means you unlike your fellow candidates on ground contracts will be allocated a preset MOS (7599 student naval aviator) and don’t have to “compete” after OCS at the next training phase (TBS -The Basic School), but you will be hard pressed to drink the koolaid and give it up for the vaunted “non-POG” jobs. Don’t do it, because MOS selection under the “quality spread” method used means you could finish in the bottom of the top bird of your class, and you pick 3rd from the end of your entire class. Hats how you go from dreams of fighter pilot to hating life as a supply guy somewhere.

After that it’s flight school, and as AMG said that’s a little more of reading chicken bones and tea leaves for “what % get ______’s.” But he first two steps, those have to be done and in that order.

Best thing you can do at this point is get running in boots and ruck marching at speed and get your body hardened to it. Marine OCS is designed as a wood chipper, and there is no medical hold. You either finish or you don’t and injury eliminates far more candidates than anything else.

Best thing you can do at this point is get running in boots and ruck marching at speed and get your body hardened to it. Marine OCS is designed as a wood chipper, and there is no medical hold. You either finish or you don’t and injury eliminates far more candidates than anything else.

^^ This...

Don't know if you have any control over when you go, but don't go to Quantico during the winter. My wife went through TBS in the winter and she got through it, but it was a pretty miserable time trying to do everything in the snow.

Humping is the way of life, even me as a Navy ship-driver guy got the do the 50km forced march humping my PPN-19 radar beacon and HF radio, with all the batteries, when my det got attached to the infantry BLT for workups prior to deploying on a MEU float. The weapons company guys were happy to see us, because it meant they had a few more extra bodies to spread load the ammo they had to carry on the hump. Even the F-18 aviators were happy to do the 50km hump with us.

Talking with some the infantry guys, they had stories of manipulating their performance on graded events so that they wouldn't finish at the bottom of the top third of their class, just enough to fall into the top of the middle third, in order to get the MOS they wanted.

Last edited:
Since you guys mentioned it [I wasn't going to in order to not clutter the OP's mind with stuff he can't really control and shouldn't think about].......the USMC also applies quality spread to flight school selections. Being #1 in your class is going to almost always get you what you want (provided it is available), but being the strong runner up #2 or #3 might get you thrown to *gasp* helos (provided you didn't want to be rotor trash :) ) on occasion with their system. The Navy did it to a lesser extent, but it was more ubiquitous on the green side. Don't worry about that JM91, do the best you can, the rest will work itself out. I know guys and gals who went to every community in the USN, USMC, and USAF. 99% ended up happy and proud to be where they landed. If for some reason the Herk didn't work out for you, turns out the USMC has a pretty damn nice fleet overall........I doubt you would be complaining too much flying UH-1Y or AH-1Z that aren't even teenagers yet, MV-22, or even (the horror) F/A-18 or F-35. God have mercy on your soul should you select AV-8B or sh**ters/53's :)

There’s also the long ...long term outlook of going into the Air Guard if you just really have to get your 4 engine turboprop craze fulfilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s also the long ...long term outlook of going into the Air Guard if you just really have to get your 4 engine turboprop craze fulfilled.

True. I've not known ANG heavies to be particularly particular about who they hire, as long as you aren't a jerk. I know helo guys and fighter guys who have gone on to fly ANG C-17/135/130.

Since you guys mentioned it [I wasn't going to in order to not clutter the OP's mind with stuff he can't really control and shouldn't think about].......the USMC also applies quality spread to flight school selections. Being #1 in your class is going to almost always get you what you want (provided it is available), but being the strong runner up #2 or #3 might get you thrown to *gasp* helos (provided you didn't want to be rotor trash :) ) on occasion with their system. The Navy did it to a lesser extent, but it was more ubiquitous on the green side. Don't worry about that JM91, do the best you can, the rest will work itself out. I know guys and gals who went to every community in the USN, USMC, and USAF. 99% ended up happy and proud to be where they landed. If for some reason the Herk didn't work out for you, turns out the USMC has a pretty damn nice fleet overall........I doubt you would be complaining too much flying UH-1Y or AH-1Z that aren't even teenagers yet, MV-22, or even (the horror) F/A-18 or F-35. God have mercy on your soul should you select AV-8B or sh**ters/53's :)

Are USMC Hornets even flying all that much? :)

Are USMC Hornets even flying all that much? :)

I've lost touch.......I think all of my USMC hornet bros are out now (that's a retention problem if you ever want to hear about one). But they did get the last of the good jets from the Navy when we got rid of them last year.......last batch will be from VFA-34. I remember a few months ago, walking out to the jet with a junior WSO, pointing at their line and telling him "those are the lord's chariots". He made some silly remark about how they are old, and I said "well that's 11 up jets on that line, compared to our 4 so ok" :) Turns out they had all the parts left and all the very best Hornets we still had, but I enjoyed the moment. And they looked good! Some days I miss flying her, though not too many

I've lost touch.......I think all of my USMC hornet bros are out now (that's a retention problem if you ever want to hear about one).

That's entirely weird, namely because it seems like just yesterday to me that you were going through -101 there at Miramar, or even in the VTs for that matter. Guys certainly don't seem to be staying past their commitment at all these days....and then again, why would they want to?

But they did get the last of the good jets from the Navy when we got rid of them last year.......last batch will be from VFA-34. I remember a few months ago, walking out to the jet with a junior WSO, pointing at their line and telling him "those are the lord's chariots". He made some silly remark about how they are old, and I said "well that's 11 up jets on that line, compared to our 4 so ok" :) Turns out they had all the parts left and all the very best Hornets we still had, but I enjoyed the moment. And they looked good! Some days I miss flying her, though not too many

-34 is the last legacy Hornet squadron in the USN? Will VFA-204 in the reserve be getting rid of theirs too?

I’m a junior in college (math major) with an aviation contract with the USMC. I know with the Marines it’s about being an officer first and the “needs of the Corps” come before all else. I know I’d be happy flying pretty much any airframe the Marines operate. However, I also know that when it comes time to select which airframe I want I will definitely put C-130’s as my first choice. Are there any USMC Herc pilots out there who have some advice on upping my chances of getting a Hercules slot? I’ve heard such slots are rather limited. Thanks in advance!

#1. If you're a forums guy, go to Airwarriors.com. That place is a goldmine for guys like you.

#2. Why Hercs?

#3. Great job getting the air contract. I'm guessing you've already been through PLC juniors, or are drinking the kool-aid at NRTOC. Keep doing what you're doing, but give it all you've got at TBS. Air contracts who coast make life miserable for everybody else, and TBS is a little like grad school. It's not necessarily what you learn there. It's who you meet.

#4. Harriers are a real man's jet flown by real men who kill people by the dozens instead of one at a time like AMG. He's right about 53s, though.

#4. Harriers are a real man's jet flown by real men who kill people by the dozens instead of one at a time like AMG. He's right about 53s, though.

That must be a really unlucky dozen (or multiple dozen) people......all congregating where it's entire one bomb payload hits :)

Seriously though, I would buy that the AV-8 is much tougher to fly.......there probably isn't too much that is easier than flying an FA18......I'd assume there is a reason the Corps had a hard NSS floor during advanced to go harriers.

That's entirely weird, namely because it seems like just yesterday to me that you were going through -101 there at Miramar, or even in the VTs for that matter. Guys certainly don't seem to be staying past their commitment at all these days....and then again, why would they want to?

Feels like just yesterday to me too.....I remember that trip across the country from Meridian (where we came and had lunch with you) clearly.....we came over the hill into SD right before sunset, and wifey and I had a nice drink at the Hotel Del watching the sun go down and sucking in the dream like ambiance of what would be our home for almost the next 2 years. Miss those days! (not that VA Beach is too bad either). And you're right, only reason I stayed beyond my initial commitment was payback for that little course I took in Fallon. Reason I'm staying beyond that additional commitment is to get a chance to take the noobs I taught during this tour on their first combat deployment, and I guess help out the manning problem for a few extra months anyhow.

-34 is the last legacy Hornet squadron in the USN? Will VFA-204 in the reserve be getting rid of theirs too?

Sort of. 37 is in transition right now (in process of getting their "new" rhinos, 83 is done, so I think ultimately, 34 will be the last operational unit to be flying them on the USN side. 204 just got a bunch of former fleet charlies, so they are getting rid of some of their old A's and A+'s. VFC-12 has been doing the same for a while now. There is talk of both ultimately getting low lot Rhinos, but I think that will still be talk for a number of years. NAWDC should continue to fly legacies for some time as well. Once 106 finishes their last Charlie student, VFC-12 will become the NATOPS model manager, and do all Hornet FRS duties......so initial/re-quals for them, 204, Blues, and NAWDC.

That must be a really unlucky dozen (or multiple dozen) people......all congregating where it's entire one bomb payload hits :)

Seriously though, I would buy that the AV-8 is much tougher to fly.......there probably isn't too much that is easier than flying an FA18......I'd assume there is a reason the Corps had a hard NSS floor during advanced to go harriers.

After spending a few bucks we're up to carrying 6x54/38, external tanks, centerline Gen-IV TPOD, and 300 25mm. Guess you could throw some AIM-9s on there, but don't get crazy with it. I love the thing, but I know where our capes lie. The boat guys are a bit limited by their bringback.

It's a nice little jet, and we have a really solid pilot group (thank you NSS cut). We got some other odds and ends in the past few years, too. Still no Mk84 capability, though. You can only fit so much under a 30 foot wing.

The old A & C model Harriers were the real ones that were a challenge to handle, from what the older heads have said. Lots of lessons learned from those and put into the B models.

Love those A's though, like a squat-looking A-4 Slyhawk.

If you're ever in the Hampton/Langley area and haven't done so already, the Virginia Air and Space Center has a UK Kestrel that they sent to (I believe) the US Army for evaluation, which ultimately ended up as a NASA test bird. Pretty cool looking airplane, a lot sleeker, really looks like a fighter.

If you're ever in the Hampton/Langley area and haven't done so already, the Virginia Air and Space Center has a UK Kestrel that they sent to (I believe) the US Army for evaluation, which ultimately ended up as a NASA test bird. Pretty cool looking airplane, a lot sleeker, really looks like a fighter.

Air Force Museum in Dayton has one too.

First time I saw it I remember thinking “what is wrong with that Harrier?”

We still have one or two sim instructors that actually flew them. They must think we’re a bunch of sissies.

There was a 130 USMC dude on here a while back, haven't seen much of him though. @BAMCIS

Back