USAirways East Vs West AKA "Why you should never write a judge"

Ok, this can't be real? Derg just pulled the biggest prank in the history of internet? Tell me there aren't really people like this flying mainline aircraft...

Alright folks.

My apologies.

Forum Runner on iPhone didn't show an attachment.

Laugh it up. Then get over it. :)

image-3632518679.jpg

Ok, this can't be real? Derg just pulled the biggest prank in the history of internet? Tell me there aren't really people like this flying mainline aircraft...
No unfortunately they exist here. 90% ate great but the bad ones out there are really bad and bitter. I flew with one guy who was angry that I was glad to be here and couldn't understand why any would want to come here.

Not that I'm defending the most radical of our lot (why is it the lunatics always get the leadership positions?), but I see both sides of the argument. I wouldn't want a new hire still in Indoc to go above me on the list while I have 17 years (not saying that's my story). There are just more tactful ways both sides could have handled it. Either way, time to move on. USAPA will be off the property soon enough and we can all go on our merry way.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think a lot of things could have been handled more tactfully on all sides of the USAPA/East/West thing. And I'm not saying that the more radical things were allowable regardlesss of who saw the upshot of it. I'm saying that all parties involved agreed to binding arbitration, and then when the award was delivered, all hell broke loose because it didn't play out the way some people thought it should. And more to the point- I think those dissatisfied weren't given nearly as extreme an outcome as they tend to portray.

Were newhires West *really* given list priority over 17 year East guys? Really?

I think a lot of things could have been handled more tactfully on all sides of the USAPA/East/West thing. And I'm not saying that the more radical things were allowable regardlesss of who saw the upshot of it. I'm saying that all parties involved agreed to binding arbitration, and then when the award was delivered, all hell broke loose because it didn't play out the way some people thought it should. And more to the point- I think those dissatisfied weren't given nearly as extreme an outcome as they tend to portray.

Were newhires West *really* given list priority over 17 year East guys? Really?

At the time of the arbitration, the most junior pilot not on furlough at USair was a 1989 hire or so. They had barely hired since 1989... Nicolau did it pretty logically given the state of USair at the time.

I remember when the NW/DL SLI was going through, a US guy started lecturing me on how the list was going to DOH since that is the gold standard. I gave him my number and told him absolutely no way... the current DL list isn't all DOH to begin with. Anyways, this is going to be entertaining to see the AA/US process go forward.

I'm just glad captain smug was able to get on at an airline that required 10 years of experience with about 7 or 8. :) He is truly the best of the best... but I'm out earning him as an FO by 40 or 50 grand due to their temper tantrum.

At the time of the arbitration, the most junior pilot not on furlough at USair was a 1989 hire or so. They had barely hired since 1989... Nicolau did it pretty logically given the state of USair at the time.

I remember when the NW/DL SLI was going through, a US guy started lecturing me on how the list was going to DOH since that is the gold standard. I gave him my number and told him absolutely no way... the current DL list isn't all DOH to begin with. Anyways, this is going to be entertaining to see the AA/US process go forward.

I'm just glad captain smug was able to get on at an airline that required 10 years of experience with about 7 or 8. :) He is truly the best of the best... but I'm out earning him as an FO by 40 or 50 grand due to their temper tantrum.

Funny how that all works out. That's really the thing that worries me about the USAir/AA merger. Flow/no flow, whatever, as long as I'm at Eagle, and Eagle's sole client is AA, watching AA's pilot group implode with another decade of arbitration and litigation does little comfort for me or anybody else at any level of the operation. It's what management wants. Pitting APA against Eagle ALPA was one thing, but with an East/West feud ongoing in addition to the almost certain APA/USAPA drama, pilots at AMR are almost certain to be a hot mess.
Sometimes I just feel like quitting to fly rickety island hoppers for some no-name outfit in a part of the world without internet.

How pervasive would you 121 guys say that the attitude and worldview of Capt Anderson is amongst the seniority lists of the majors?

How pervasive would you 121 guys say that the attitude and worldview of Capt Anderson is amongst the seniority lists of the majors?

Probably sways widely depending on the carrier and timeframe of those hired. At my carrier we have many furloughed pilots who understand there are ups and downs in the industry and a lot depends on pure luck. They've been at their " perfect earned job" only to see the street 1 yr later.

I really don't know any.

I know they're probably out there.

Even when a relatively small southeastern domestic airline bought some of the assets and routes of a crumbling giant, Pan Am, it seems like the attitudes were mostly "Whew! That was close! Lets go fly jets"

With our last merger, as far as I've seen, it's just "we did things a little better at (whatever) when it comes to (whatever)" but there's no declarations that one side should have hegemonic rule over the other.

We largely got the "Nicolau Award" when Delta and NWA merged and the rational people found it fair and equitable. There are a small handful of people on the fringes that shook their fists about "their number" but eventually did the math and mellowed out.

I guess that is a long way of saying "Not very pervasive".

Back