UPS Hiring

Anyone know what it’s like working there? I’m interested but I don’t know too much about what life at UPS is like

What percentage of lines are overnight and how long would it take to get a day line
The trade off is working midnights instead of weekends. Evenings during the week is 7 years right now, but that will go down likely as 50% of the seniority list is 55 or older, and with the postal contract we will increase daytime flying significantly. If you don’t mind working weekends you can get off midnights in less time than that.

Anyone know what it’s like working there? I’m interested but I don’t know too much about what life at UPS is like
Anyone who knows almost certainly works at UPS. It’s a trucking company with airplanes, the majority of management has less experience than those we hire. The company is frustrating to work for, because the group isn’t as valued as it should be, mostly because it’s a trucking company first.

The thing is, our benefits are unmatched, and it’s as stable of a company to work for that you’ll find. No one comes even close on either account, especially since the postal contract. So if you can deal with the frustrations, there’s positives to be had.

are you happy with the software? I imagine the flight benefits are pretty awesome but I’m not familiar with the benefits for a cargo airline. Thanks for posting by the way glad to put it on my radar

The trade off is working midnights instead of weekends. Evenings during the week is 7 years right now, but that will go down likely as 50% of the seniority list is 55 or older, and with the postal contract we will increase daytime flying significantly. If you don’t mind working weekends you can get off midnights in less time than that.

Anyone who knows almost certainly works at UPS. It’s a trucking company with airplanes, the majority of management has less experience than those we hire. The company is frustrating to work for, because the group isn’t as valued as it should be, mostly because it’s a trucking company first.

The thing is, our benefits are unmatched, and it’s as stable of a company to work for that you’ll find. No one comes even close on either account, especially since the postal contract. So if you can deal with the frustrations, there’s positives to be had.

What exactly are the unmatched benefits?

What exactly are the unmatched benefits?

It’s a 5 year old contract that’s holding up well with a pension, 401k match, and scale that has a base top out of about 13k/month before premiums after 10 years. Vacation days are decent, and the medical insurance premiums for a family sound exceptional. Yes, I’ll take 2 cups of the k-aid please.

It’s a 5 year old contract that’s holding up well with a pension, 401k match, and scale that has a base top out of about 13k/month before premiums after 10 years. Vacation days are decent, and the medical insurance premiums for a family sound exceptional. Yes, I’ll take 2 cups of the k-aid please.
They have a pension? That’s pretty sweet

If this was a few years ago, I would have applied. In fact, I've interviewed there twice. Louisville seems like a pretty fun place to live.

Pension and 401k match is for sure a winner. How much is the match?

If you don't know someone there...I wouldn't bother applying.

They're an extremely exclusive group and you have to fit their union leadership's definition of "the right fit" before the company hires you...the dispatchers I have met that work there weren't people I could envision myself working with daily.

Only negatives I have heard about UPS aside from the trucking company culture are no traditional non-rev benefits (obviously) and a lack of sick leave.

Yes, by a margin I think the benefits are the best and I believe it’s the most stable position, for that you have to deal with a trucking company mentality from the higher ups. It’s not for everyone, I’m not trying to paint a wonderful kool-aide drinking atmosphere.

401k is lacking, it’s 100% match up to 3% but the pension is the actual meat and potatoes of retirement.

I think we have a good group. Most are A type personalities, which I think is normal for dispatchers.

The lack flight benefits are a disappointment to get over, that’s for sure. We do fly to quite a few international gateways and you’ll nearly be guaranteed a spot, but other then Zed fare, we have nothing for spouses and families.

It's missing sick time but the contract is legitimate. The pension is good if you're willing to put in the time, and I only say 'good' to describe that as earlier posts emphasize the mental workout you'll be doing. UPS getting the mail deal sounds like a solid win, but as mentioned, it's a trucking company with airplanes. You're also doing a lot of night shifts, which has its own distinctive culture to it - regardless of where you dispatch.

Luhvul has its perks as well, being so close to Cincinnati which doesn't totally suck. Be ready for weather, and be grateful you won't have humanoids in the backs of your birds.

Just remember: Pilots are people.

Their contract may be COMPETITIVE with the rest of the big boys but nothing in it screams better than everyone else. In fact their pay has fallen behind their peers, primarily due to agreeing to such a long contract. Is it a destination job? Of course. Do other Dx jobs offer similar job security? Yes.

Regarding pensions... Ask the UA pilots about pensions. I'll take a higher 401k match (or donation), personally.

Their contract may be COMPETITIVE with the rest of the big boys but nothing in it screams better than everyone else. In fact their pay has fallen behind their peers, primarily due to agreeing to such a long contract. Is it a destination job? Of course. Do other Dx jobs offer similar job security? Yes.

Regarding pensions... Ask the UA pilots about pensions. I'll take a higher 401k match (or donation), personally.
Ya 3% 401k match is kinda garbage, obviously the pension helps but when you can get 9.3% at SWA I would never call them better. Very competitive for sure though and with the cost of living in SDF that pay does go a long way.

Ya 3% 401k match is kinda garbage, obviously the pension helps but when you can get 9.3% at SWA I would never call them better. Very competitive for sure though and with the cost of living in SDF that pay does go a long way.

I think B6 wins with the 401k benefits. I believe they have a 5% match with a 8% direct contribution from day 1. Although the starting pay the first few years sure can be improved.

A pension is lovely though!

Back