Update: UPS flight dispatchers are asking to be paid like counterparts at Delta, American

All I see on here are the feelings of dispatchers. Businesses don’t care what you believe feel you deserve. That’s not the world works. You will be paid what you are worth to that company at a given time! I don’t care what your airline flies.. what value do you provide to them and how much is it worth for them to keep you. That’s all that matters.
Some of you need to wake up and understand it’s business that’s it!
I don’t know what UPS dispatcher are worth to the company but it seems more important to show them your value economically instead of screaming like a child that you want more because Delta gets more!

You’ve apparently made a foul assumption about who we are, what we are doing, and why we are doing it. Screaming like a child? Really? Also, I wasn’t aware that of all places, here is where we’d need to prove our worth in order to avoid getting our hands slapped by almighty you. Of all places, here is where I would’ve expected support from fellow dispatchers in our fight for a leading contract. Thanks to those who have the ability to see through a lot of the trash being spewed here. We appreciate you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ve apparently made a foul assumption about who we are, what we are doing, and why we are doing it. Screaming like a child? Really? Also, I wasn’t aware that of all places, here is where we’d need to prove our worth in order to avoid getting our hands slapped by almighty you. Of all places, here is where I would’ve expected support from fellow dispatchers in our fight for a leading contract. Thanks to those who have the ability to see through a lot of the trash being spewed here. We appreciate you.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

More power to you and everyone in the industry.

No, you’re paid what you can negotiate. If you were paid what you were worth, then ramp rats would be making a lot more and a lot of empty suits with “director of” titles would be making less.

True lack of economic understanding! Completely incorrect. Not to diminish the importance of any job but the way a company determines value in the most simplest terms is how easy is it to replace X individual. Ramp employees are easy to replace to an employer. Specialized jobs like pilots or Dispatchers are not as easy to replace. They require a special license and there is a high demand for those positions. If the market was flooded with way more dispatchers and pilots the value to the employer would be less.
Now don’t get me wrong I’m not arguing that UPS or any other dispatcher should accept less money. All I’m saying is it’s a business with economics at work. Not personal feelings!

Once again to you it’s personal. It’s not a slap but a simple point from an economic perspective. I support your right to bargain and hope you are able to get what you are looking for. Understand that just cause you want it doesn’t mean you will get it.

Once again to you it’s personal. It’s not a slap but a simple point from an economic perspective. I support your right to bargain and hope you are able to get what you are looking for. Understand that just cause you want it doesn’t mean you will get it.

The accusation of UPS screaming like a child is far from a simple point from an economic perspective. Just sayin...

The accusation of UPS screaming like a child is far from a simple point from an economic perspective. Just sayin...

That was not directed specifically at you but everyone who was arguing about cargo v. pax

It will die on the vine like the rest of the threads. We will continue to do what we do at UPS for the reasons we do and understand. We know them, their motivations, their business model, both their strengths and weaknesses, and how to effectively use our leverage. We understand their economics, labor law, and have experience in bargaining with them. We know our own pay scale and pension that’s posted on the TWU 549 website. We know what it’s like to go toe-to-toe with the world”s largest and most profitable (and arguably most powerful) transportation company, and will continue the fight with unwavering courage and solidarity. We understand who our target audience is and who it isn’t, and why that matters. The professionals will continue to do important things and achieve serious goals. What will the amateurs be doing?

It will die on the vine like the rest of the threads. We will continue to do what we do at UPS for the reasons we do and understand. We know them, their motivations, their business model, both their strengths and weaknesses, and how to effectively use our leverage. We understand their economics, labor law, and have experience in bargaining with them. We know our own pay scale and pension that’s posted on the TWU 549 website. We know what it’s like to go toe-to-toe with the world”s largest and most profitable (and arguably most powerful) transportation company, and will continue the fight with unwavering courage and solidarity. We understand who our target audience is and who it isn’t, and why that matters. The professionals will continue to do important things and achieve serious goals. What will the amateurs be doing?

First sentence notwithstanding, I can totally visualize the workgroup standing together in the office with hands on heart reciting like the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of a shift.

This has been a very interesting thread to read. Just a heads up, UPS has one major domestic hub. When that hub falls apart so does the world. Unlike a Line Carrier, UPS doesn’t have gates at every station around. Which means it’s absolutely pandemonium when they have a hub event. All of your flights pretty much depart at the same time and for the most part from one location to the entire US. Hours for a Dispatcher there can be expected to be decades on the Midnight shift. No flight benifits to speak of and they fly to some of the worst of the US airports when the towers are closed because it saves a dollar instead of flying into the local large airport. Think KMHR vs KSMF... follow that up with a completely turned over management staff in the last two years and antiquated Dispatching equipment and it makes for an extremely challenging Dispatching environment. I would put Dispatching at UPS up against any passenger carrier anytime. Typical ops for UPS is to arrive early in the morning during prime fog time when the tower is not open and quality approaches are unavailable.

This has been a very interesting thread to read. Just a heads up, UPS has one major domestic hub. When that hub falls apart so does the world. Unlike a Line Carrier, UPS doesn’t have gates at every station around. Which means it’s absolutely pandemonium when they have a hub event. All of your flights pretty much depart at the same time and for the most part from one location to the entire US. Hours for a Dispatcher there can be expected to be decades on the Midnight shift. No flight benifits to speak of and they fly to some of the worst of the US airports when the towers are closed because it saves a dollar instead of flying into the local large airport. Think KMHR vs KSMF... follow that up with a completely turned over management staff in the last two years and antiquated Dispatching equipment and it makes for an extremely challenging Dispatching environment. I would put Dispatching at UPS up against any passenger carrier anytime. Typical ops for UPS is to arrive early in the morning during prime fog time when the tower is not open and quality approaches are unavailable.

They have more than one hub facility in the US. RFD and PHL come to mind. As for flight bennies they have CASS. And while they do fly to a few "other airports" they have recently moved ops from PIE to TPA. As for pitting UPS DX against others, I agree.

My point of view is what makes a contract “Industry Leading”? If it’s, “we want to our paychecks to be more than everyone else’s” that’s a DIFFERENT subject. The payscale is one facet of a contract. I am beyond sure the UPS guys are as professional as they come. That’s not the point. Call it what it is. Lol I don’t think anyone at a major level is butt hurt by the little bit more here and there. At some point tho our pay is going to have to level off. I would love to make $200k base, but is it necessary? Is $150k ish with amazing work rules good enough? Maybe. All the feelings can be put aside and not assume someone is saying another group shouldn’t make as much, that not what I’m saying at all. I’m replying to this notion that saying a contract that (from what I hear) tops out in the low mid $100s and a pension is pretty great, and that some raise to match inflation is probably necessary. $160-170k+ and a pension is far beyond industry leading. I mean more power to the UPS folks, but that’s a lot.

Do y’all UPS folks have a 401k as well? Or do you have to have a personal one?

They have more than one hub facility in the US. RFD and PHL come to mind. As for flight bennies they have CASS. And while they do fly to a few "other airports" they have recently moved ops from PIE to TPA. As for pitting UPS DX against others, I agree.

Actually those “Hubs” are very small operations compared to the operations at KSDF. CASS is hardly a benifit when you consider being able to travel as a Non Rev on your own carrier with your family. Correct they did move as KPIE kicked them out. It wasn’t their choice.

My point of view is what makes a contract “Industry Leading”? If it’s, “we want to our paychecks to be more than everyone else’s” that’s a DIFFERENT subject. The payscale is one facet of a contract. I am beyond sure the UPS guys are as professional as they come. That’s not the point. Call it what it is. Lol I don’t think anyone at a major level is butt hurt by the little bit more here and there. At some point tho our pay is going to have to level off. I would love to make $200k base, but is it necessary? Is $150k ish with amazing work rules good enough? Maybe. All the feelings can be put aside and not assume someone is saying another group shouldn’t make as much, that not what I’m saying at all. I’m replying to this notion that saying a contract that (from what I hear) tops out in the low mid $100s and a pension is pretty great, and that some raise to match inflation is probably necessary. $160-170k+ and a pension is far beyond industry leading. I mean more power to the UPS folks, but that’s a lot.

Do y’all UPS folks have a 401k as well? Or do you have to have a personal one?

I guess the question is why does it have to level off? Why shouldn’t a Dispatcher make at least half as much as a Captain does? Why sell yourself short? You are a highly skilled professional.

I mean is this place just an echo chamber of feelings? Do we honestly think we’re as skilled or as trained as a mainline Captain? I am positive we have the best job in the airline. A $5000 dispatch license vs what $60-70k minimum for flight training and then a couple years as an instructor, 3-7+ year regional grind to just make it to a major, then another 7-10+ years until CA, and finally however many years to Top of Scale? It takes so much more experience and training to replace a CA than a dispatcher. Again, I’m all for whatever they want to pay us (the major scale now is very nice), and adjustments to inflation will need to be made, but there’s so much more to a contract than just the pay scale.

Back