UAL CA in Denver (story)

Well its hard to say what I would do in this situation, but I'm not sure if I would force my way past someone on the jetbridge. It also stinks that there seemed to be no witnesses, so it becomes a my word against yours. But if that Captain had gone back into the plane and tried to make a phone call or talked to his crew about it, that bag would have been loaded in the cargo and doors shut. Then he woulda gotten a call from the CP asking why he delayed the flight to get a checked bag out of the bin back into the cockpit, and I'm sure the CSA would have written him up as well. So he was screwed either way.

If all accounts were as stated, I hope the pilot gets his record cleared and the CSA, taken care of. But as always there are two sides to every story. Perhaps the pilot was being a little hostile to the agent, and things escalated from there? Who knows?

It certainly is sad that these things happen these days at the airlines. Aren't we all doing the same job??

If any of you are reading similar threads on APC or FI, you'll see that there was more to this story than the Captain-centric news release that started this thread.

If any of you are reading similar threads on APC or FI, you'll see that there was more to this story than the Captain-centric news release that started this thread.

I don't read those crap-tastic sites. Any chance of an overview what is being said? I could tell this story was very biased from the way it was written.

I don't read those crap-tastic sites. Any chance of an overview what is being said? I could tell this story was very biased from the way it was written.

The gist of it is that the Captain is a known hothead, and that the situation with the jumpseater wasn't as simple as it's made out to be.

Typical post:
The problem is that ALPA WOULD get behind this if it had occurred exactly as the Altar Boy version printed here. From some reliable sources I spoke to today the truth is somewhere in between. The key is to follow the arrest. The pilot "was" a member of an exclusive club in N.M. The cops were actually on his side until he showed his inability to keep his cool and lost it on the jetway. There is supposedly video footage of the entire event and that is being used to validate the CSR's claims. What we have in this thread is an email/council letter of damage control by the LEC and the Capt trying to make him not look like a tool in front of his peers. In the age of the internet it is posted on a forum and gains traction as the gospel. When in fact the Captain's version as posted in the OP are far from the truth and what the video evidence shows.

This comes from a reliable source within the union that says this could wind up being a black eye for ALPA. The CSR and company have too much evidence against him to let him off free. They said termination is still on the table.

The information the ALPA guy had was that the OMC was assigned a seat in the cabin. It had boarding zone 4. The agents were told the overhead bins were full and they were tagging ALL bags for passengers sitting in zones 3-4. The JetBlue pilot handed the agent his boarding pass and the agent tagged his bag per UA procedures. The Capt used some threatening body language toward the agent, didn't know the door code and acted up pretty significantly on the jetway

I'm not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion on this situation in particular, but I do find it troubling that there is continued erosion of a Captain's authority as to the operation of his aircraft. It's things like this quote that show that I have a lot to learn about the airline industry before I try to join it:

the airplane is not yours until the door is closed.

the airplane is not yours until the door is closed.

This is pretty common. Everyone, from agencies (TSA/CBP/ICE/lcl port auth) to the companies divisions (Flight Ops/Ground Ops) all have this meaningless turf war going on around a sitting A/C. It's simply because their oversight overlaps. All it takes is a little understanding of where the other side us coming from to find a workable ground. I've dealt with hardnosed CAs/FAs/gate agents/Feds to know it's easier, and more professional, to take it up with higher ups after that fact than to create a confrontation- exp one that involves pushing and shoving. Both the CSR and the CA need to be reminded of this, likely they both fouled up here.

..... to know it's easier, and more professional, to take it up with higher ups after that fact than to create a confrontation- exp one that involves pushing and shoving. Both the CSR and the CA need to be reminded of this, likely they both fouled up here.

Sometimes there's good place for some old fashioned wall-to-wall counseling.

The gist of it is that the Captain is a known hothead, and that the situation with the jumpseater wasn't as simple as it's made out to be.

One single guy is bashing him. This is how ridiculous internet rumors start. If you don't know the guy first hand, you really have no right to post this kind of stuff. The guy bashing him doesn't know him first hand either.

This guy may be a total d-bag, I have no clue, but drawing conclusions from 3rd hand information of APC is probably a bad decision.

One single guy is bashing him. This is how ridiculous internet rumors start. If you don't know the guy first hand, you really have no right to post this kind of stuff. The guy bashing him doesn't know him first hand either.

This guy may be a total d-bag, I have no clue, but drawing conclusions from 3rd hand information of APC is probably a bad decision.

The same could be said about this biased account of the incident posted above. We are drawing conclusions based on a third-hand account being spread around the internet.

My problem with things like this is the animosity is breeds between work groups when there otherwise may be none. This account makes the gate agent look like a complete whacko, when in reality both parties were likely at fault.

There is nothing wrong with hearing varying opinions, if you take them with a grain of salt.

Do you know the UAL pilot in question?

The same could be said about this biased account of the incident posted above. We are drawing conclusions based on a third-hand account being spread around the internet.

My problem with things like this is the animosity is breeds between work groups when there otherwise may be none. This account makes the gate agent look like a complete whacko, when in reality both parties were likely at fault.

There is nothing wrong with hearing varying opinions, if you take them with a grain of salt.

Do you know the UAL pilot in question?

Nope, and I don't know the gate agent either, just thought the post by hacker was uncalled for because of what some idiot on APC said. Not taking sides at all on this, but these second hand stories dragging peoples name through the dirt are uncalled for. We're above that here.

Nope, and I don't know the gate agent either, just thought the post by hacker was uncalled for because of what some idiot on APC said. Not taking sides at all on this, but these second hand stories dragging peoples name through the dirt are uncalled for. We're above that here.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. How is that any different than the original post 'dragging the CSAs name through the dirt?' I know this is a pilot forum, but I don't think that means pilots are above criticism here. Both opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. The truth, as always, is probably somewhere in between...Believe me, I don't want this to become APC any more than you do, but I don't see a problem with a varying opinion on a pretty obviously biased story :beer:

Seriously? Welcome to the Internet.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. How is that any different than the original post 'dragging the CSAs name through the dirt?' I know this is a pilot forum, but I don't think that means pilots are above criticism here. Both opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. The truth, as always, is probably somewhere in between...Believe me, I don't want this to become APC any more than you do, but I don't see a problem with a varying opinion on a pretty obviously biased story :beer:

I agree with you, I don't think the CSA should be dragged through the mud either. You should read the APC thread, it's a damn witch burning over there.

I've been through Denver a few times. I've run into the "OMC bags will be checked, end of story" before to include a situation just like the one that started this thread. They said I'd have to check, the CA said I could put it up in the cockpit, the CSA tossed it down the slide outside. Happened more than once and it was kind of aggravating, but I'm just catching a ride so it's not my place to argue or cause a scene. In this instance I'm sure there was a lot more to the confrontation and cops, but I believe the start of it probably happened as reported.

Was it not TOTALLY OBVIOUS from my post that I was RELAYING the posts from SOMEONE ELSE and that it was NOT MY OPINION?

Matt ASKED for a summary and I provided it. If you would like to provide a more detailed summary, please feel free, but don't pin the content on me when I was summarizing what OTHER PEOPLE wrote.

I've come to learn a lot about UA agents since they've taken my job and I get to watch them from the ramp all day(what a great feeling). For all their flaws, I've noticed a root cause(other than the bad attitude so many have). They are company controlled robots. I first noticed when I was a gate agent working with former UA agents. All the former UA agents differed much in personality, but had 2 things in common: They lived in fear that United was "watching them", and they couldn't think outside the box. I always looked at policies as guidelines, they looked at them as written in stone. Now that UA is boarding our flights, I've noticed that they follow policies to the letter even when it makes NO sense. A few examples:

Passanger has a fragile carry-on and doesn't want to gate check on a very light flight. We would tell the person to go ahead and put it in an empty seat. But since it won't fit in the overhead, UA will either gate check it or deny you boarding since United "told them" to tag it.

A quick turn is in the gate and we have 6 minutes to board and release brakes. We would board ASAP. United spends 3 of those minutes making each announcment word for word as it was written by the company and slows the boarding process by turning away every person(usually in an authorative degrading way) who tries to board in the wrong zone on an airplane that only has 30 seats and is running 2 hours late.

From my observations, I can tell you if UA once said "if the flight looks full, all OMCs and zones 3-4 must be gatechecked", then UA agents will do so in a mad panic as if their jobs depended on it, and treat anyone who stands in the way as someone who is trying to get them fired. Even if the first post is exaggerated, I would totally buy the whole thing knowing the CSRs. As much as it makes my blood boil, I almost feel sorry for them that the company treats them in such a way that they are deathly afraid to break policy. Doing the same job for OO I was never once questioned for using personal judgement that a policy need not apply in a situation, infact I was often praised for doing so as it usually lead to on-time departures and/or happy passangers. I wonder how their managment sleeps at night.

Back