U.S. Customs and Border Protection (AIA/AEO)

Re: Aircraft/airplane/helicopter Pilot (air Interdiction Age

Had a strange visitor drop by the local FBO to refuel. It was a Rockwell OV-10 Bronco painted completely black with no markings of any kind and rigged with the most elaborate aerial spraying equipment I ever saw. The airplane looked like it just came off the production line and even the tires smelled new. Had two large external pylon tanks that looked like part of the spray system and lots of stainless tubing running all over the place. The Pilot seemed a bit irritated we were checking out his ride and appeared to young to have been a Nam Fac Driver. He also was packing and paid for his fuel with a US Gov. credit card. Anyone have a clue what this is all about?

Had a strange visitor drop by the local FBO to refuel. It was a Rockwell OV-10 Bronco painted completely black with no markings of any kind and rigged with the most elaborate aerial spraying equipment I ever saw. The airplane looked like it just came off the production line and even the tires smelled new. Had two large external pylon tanks that looked like part of the spray system and lots of stainless tubing running all over the place. The Pilot seemed a bit irritated we were checking out his ride and appeared to young to have been a Nam Fac Driver. He also was packing and paid for his fuel with a US Gov. credit card. Anyone have a clue what this is all about?

Sounds like something the DEA would use to spray marijuana in the border regions of Mexico, but they usually hire contract pilots with ag planes to do that. I would love to fly an OV-10:D

are any airline folks with no military backgrounds getting calls back for this?

are any airline folks with no military backgrounds getting calls back for this?

I was told that they vastly prefer prior military for CBP.

If you did not fly in the millitary, then at least some type of service, or some background in law enforcement are all but prerequisites. I was told that with my military baskground, experiance flying, my A&P, I might be competitive. However being rated in Helos too would be really helpfull.

i was able to make a few friends at fletc when i was there but i dont know if that would be good enough...thanks man

Does anyone else see this as a loosing battle to air drones. Seems like drones would be perfectly suited for this mission. I hate to see pilots getting out of airplanes, but if drones were ever to be used in mass, this would be it.

Does anyone else see this as a loosing battle to air drones. Seems like drones would be perfectly suited for this mission. I hate to see pilots getting out of airplanes, but if drones were ever to be used in mass, this would be it.
Here's the problem with UAVs. The really cool guchi ones are pricey (Global Hawk, Predator), they rely on SATCOM to downlink imagery, and right now the military is maxing the bandwith on a lot of those areas. I see them becoming a part of homeland security as a force multiplier, but you still are going to need the manned vehicles.

Who'd you meet and was it Glynco or Artesia Use to work in both places!!

They had a trainee program if you were already in CBP somewhere (Border Patrol, Inspections, Anti smuggling. Times were lot less, not sure if they do it anymore.

They do prefer a strong military background, mostly because you might be flying and you might be in the back of the UH60 ready to take down the bad guys once they force them down. They were hiring Aviation Enforcement Officers that ride in back as radar operator and perform the take down stuff as well. Not sure if they are still hiring on that one.

I called the hiring guys today to follow up with them and make sure my application was received and in good shape. The lady I talked to was very nice, and confirmed my application was in and that I had a competitive score. The max score is 110 (5 extra points possible for being a veteran, 10 possible extra for being a disabled vet.) Looking at all the questions on the application, former military flying experience, tactical experience, NVG experience, low-level and mountain experience, and dual-rated experience appear to weight heavily in this score.

She also told me it generally takes about 90 days before a first interview occurs, but based on my score, I should get a call within that time frame.

I called the hiring guys today to follow up with them and make sure my application was received and in good shape. The lady I talked to was very nice, and confirmed my application was in and that I had a competitive score. The max score is 110 (5 extra points possible for being a veteran, 10 possible extra for being a disabled vet.) Looking at all the questions on the application, former military flying experience, tactical experience, NVG experience, low-level and mountain experience, and dual-rated experience appear to weight heavily in this score.

She also told me it generally takes about 90 days before a first interview occurs, but based on my score, I should get a call within that time frame.

Great news Ian, Good luck I hope you make it.

Good luck Ian. Is all of your low level/mountain experience in Helos?

Thanks - and yeah, all that stuff was in helos. My 135 freight job wouldn't let me fly NOE for some reason. :D

Just curious, it always gives guys a boost in my industry to have low level fixed wing time. Am I the only one to post over in the military social group?

I "own" that social group I guess, so I'm over there.

Hey Ian great to hear the good news! If you dont mind what number did you call to follow up? I sent mine in about 2 weeks ago.
Thanks
Nick

The contact info is from the "How to Apply" Tab on the job page:

Staffing Team B
Phone: (612)467-7033
Fax: (478)757-3144
Email: MHC-Staffing.TeamB@dhs.gov

I called and got a voice mail, but someone called me back the same day.

Sounds like a good job opportunity for a furloughee or somebody looking for a little more excitement out of their flying.

If I got furloughed, I'd be all over this job. With my background, it'd be a great fit... assuming I can get stationed somewhere I'd like.

Those CBP Blackhawks look SICK. :rawk:

The contact info is from the "How to Apply" Tab on the job page:

Staffing Team B
Phone: (612)467-7033
Fax: (478)757-3144
Email: MHC-Staffing.TeamB@dhs.gov

I called and got a voice mail, but someone called me back the same day.

Thank for the help! I thought that was it but just wanted to make sure.

No problem man - and good luck to you as well.

Back