U.S. Customs and Border Protection (AIA/AEO)

That's what I understood also. I have also heard though that there are 'Veteran's Preference Laws' in place to recognize veterans for their service and also to give them a chance to compete equitably for the positions. This applies to 'Eligible Military Veterans' from what I understand. I'm trying to find out the details so I can have the opportunity to apply for a CBP pilot position.

I don't know if that applies to the age limitation, due to the reason the age limitation is in place.

The thing about this job is that it's very difficult to have a full 20 year active-duty career as a military pilot and get this job, in fact, damn near impossible. You have to make a choice to go one way or the other. Meaning, if you're military, you have to make the choice to leave the active duty military early in order to take this gig. That's what me and every other person in this job has done, simply due to the requirement of age. I left the AF after 14 years, 13 on active duty, to take this job; transferring to the AFRES as a traditional and choosing to buy back into the GS retirement system instead. The only Vet preference I had, besides the flight qualifications, were the 10 points preference for hiring.

If you can somehow work a waiver, by all means go for it. I'm just afraid that it'll take quite a long time to make that happen in this case.

More calls are going out, and more rumblings of vacancies throughout the system. I think I'm somewhere around #40 on the list, so it'll probably be a while yet!

I don't know if that applies to the age limitation, due to the reason the age limitation is in place.

The thing about this job is that it's very difficult to have a full 20 year active-duty career as a military pilot and get this job, in fact, damn near impossible. You have to make a choice to go one way or the other. Meaning, if you're military, you have to make the choice to leave the active duty military early in order to take this gig. That's what me and every other person in this job has done, simply due to the requirement of age. I left the AF after 14 years, 13 on active duty, to take this job; transferring to the AFRES as a traditional and choosing to buy back into the GS retirement system instead. The only Vet preference I had, besides the flight qualifications, were the 10 points preference for hiring.

If you can somehow work a waiver, by all means go for it. I'm just afraid that it'll take quite a long time to make that happen in this case.

Thanks for the background MikeD it definitely helps in the understanding.

I realize that it may even seem selfish that I'm trying to fly with the CBP after already having such a career and now flying in the airline business. I know that in this aspect, I am very fortunate and that there are many others who work hard for their goals to be in this position. The airline world just isn't me just as I had thought...which is why I finished out my AF career. I hope to find a sense of purpose and mission as well as great camaraderie with the CBP even if there is no 'retirement' in the end.

I am also trying to become a member of the ANG in a ground support position to help supplement, but the CBP seems like where I belong. So, I'm looking for good information to back-up my case and contact info on where to turn to get the age waiver accomplished.

I figure there is really nothing to lose here. If nothing else, it will hopefully help someone else down the road.

The airline world just isn't me just as I had thought...which is why I finished out my AF career. . ...

...but the CBP seems like where I belong. .

In all honesty if you're a fixed-wing only guy at CBP, the job is kind of boring. Not much different from the airlines, IMO, with some specifics depending on your location.

In all honesty if you're a fixed-wing only guy at CBP, the job is kind of boring. Not much different from the airlines, IMO, with some specifics depending on your location.

According to the MIA DAO, more and more FW guys are being sent to rotor school. Regardless, the pay and stability seem better than 121!

According to the MIA DAO, more and more FW guys are being sent to rotor school. Regardless, the pay and stability seem better than 121!

Some here and there, and that is fairly seniority based. Depends on the location. Some locatons have more FW flying than others.

Shot these over Bimini and Great Isaac Island in the Bahamas this morning during a mission in the Blackhawk. Yeah...121 is DEFINITELY the pinnacle of flying!

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 153
What are you talking about? 121 is the pinnacle of aviation. Everyone knows that. ;)

Tell my W-2 that:). In all seriousness, I'll take LEAP, a mission-oriented environment, and a LE role over flying for a regional. Word from the staffing team this week is positive: they're being tasked with calling branches and inquiring as to how many vacancies they need filled. I might be too far down on the list for June's FLETC, but one can only hope.

HEATH, ARE YOU STILL ALIVE!?

J.

Back