Two Lockheed Electra crashes in as many days.

DG is a disgrace to this profession. I'm glad he or nobody else got hurt, but I hope he does receive a fatal blow to his reputation and people stop listening to him. I'm sure he'll resort to the usual hand waving about why he's right and everyone else is wrong, but eventually people will start seeing he's a clown. Hopefully he won't have to crash any more airplanes before that happens.

In a move that surprises no one, Dan is accusing the NTSB of stealing his personal property (a GoPro) and the purpose of the flight was for DG to show us that he is a superior airman compared to the pilots that perished in the Chino accident.

I'm sure he'll resort to the usual hand waving about why he's right and everyone else is wrong

He's already doing just that from the hospital.

In a move that surprises no one, Dan is accusing the NTSB of stealing his personal property (a GoPro) and the purpose of the flight was for DG to show us that he is a superior airman compared to the pilots that perished in the Chino accident.
I actually stooped to watching Blancowhateverhegoesby on the topic because, well, it's the one time I feel like using my eyeballs on it. Just from looking at the tapes I am glad nobody was killed. And of course your stuff gets impounded after a crash, ya ninnies!

"Dan, of course, is going to be fine."

:bounce:

I actually like Juan’s channel. There are a couple accident/debrief type channels I like. DG however is a clown…

The fact he is accusing the NTSB of stealing his GoPro is soooooooo funny.

I don't have a tail wheel endorsement but I have spent a fair amount of time around them, if memory serves they all have tail wheel locks and their use is always specifically for landing and take-off, the more engines or more power is added into the equation the more important they become. Does a Citabria or a Cub have a lock?

Not typically. There might be special cases where some have a locking tailwheel but both typically have Scott tailwheels which are steerable but outside of the detent, free castering.
Like I said I don't have a tail wheel endorsement but I've always thought most taildraggers locked. I guess on the the smaller, lighter airplanes a detent would make more sense.

Like I said I don't have a tail wheel endorsement but I've always thought most taildraggers locked. I guess on the the smaller, lighter airplanes a decent would make more sense.

To have a free castering, willy-nilly tailwheel is very rare to non-existent. Tailwheels lock in different ways with the most common being a detent combined with springs/chains that allow the tailwheel to be steerable. Older airplanes, warbirds, etc had basically a lockable tailwheel which provides like 7 degrees of steering (varies on the airplane), or you can unlock it and it is completely uncontrollable. Very useful to maneuver the airplane in tight spaces at very slow taxi speeds. Heavier airplanes with more momentum would be uncontrollable at faster speeds with a completely unlocked tailwheel. You would tear the brakes up getting a B-17 back to the ramp if you sheered the locking pin on the runway before takeoff, I would honestly probably park it where I lost it, and get a tug. On landing, you are along for the ride unless you initiate a purposeful ground loop which is often in the POH for an unlocked tailwheel or a lost brake.

I actually like Juan’s channel. There are a couple accident/debrief type channels I like. DG however is a clown…

The fact he is accusing the NTSB of stealing his GoPro is soooooooo funny.

I find Juan to be simply a more tolerable version of Gryder, but moronic in his own way in his lack of understanding of accident investigation. Or worse, his analysis of factors he has zero knowledge of, and either speaks incorrectly about, or isn’t aware enough of to even consider.

They’re all just YouTube noise, there for clicks, likes, bell rings, subscriptions, and patreon money-giving.

I don't have a tail wheel endorsement but I have spent a fair amount of time around them, if memory serves they all have tail wheel locks and their use is always specifically for landing and take-off, the more engines or more power is added into the equation the more important they become. Does a Citabria or a Cub have a lock?

As @Inverted mentioned, many of the light singles have a breakaway detent such as the Scott 3200/3400 series or Maule. The probability of having a locking tail wheel on smaller airplanes is proportionate to the rudder effectiveness and ground looping. Airplanes with higher rudder authority (most light GA planes such as Cubs, Citabria, Maule) generally have the Scott or Maule tailwheel which doesn’t lock. However, the Haigh locking tailwheel is popular on the Pitts, which I consider more of a task management device as the rudder on the Pitts is very effective and responsive. I have flown the Pitts with all three of those tail wheels, and the Maule tailwheel with out the lock is more than adequate.

My exposure to the North American airplanes is minimal, and I’m sure someone here has more experience on these than I do, but I remember the T6 has a locking tailwheel interconnected to the yoke. Full aft (three point landing) locks the wheel and forward stick releases it for taxing. I think that’s the same setup for the Mustang also, but again on those airplanes I’m not as familiar with and could be incorrect.

On the twin engine tailwheel airplanes, just about every one I’ve been around or flown has a locking tailwheel, which is absolutely necessary given the large moment from the CG, or asymmetrical thrust situation that can occur.

My exposure to the North American airplanes is minimal, and I’m sure someone here has more experience on these than I do, but I remember the T6 has a locking tailwheel interconnected to the yoke. Full aft (three point landing) locks the wheel and forward stick releases it for taxing. I think that’s the same setup for the Mustang also, but again on those airplanes I’m not as familiar with and could be incorrect.

On the twin engine tailwheel airplanes, just about every one I’ve been around or flown has a locking tailwheel, which is absolutely necessary given the large moment from the CG, or asymmetrical thrust situation that can occur.

There are T6s without that but most have converted P51 tailwheel setups which is where that locking setup comes from with the stick going full forward to unlock (at least as I understand, these are Mustang tailwheel conversions). Every T6 I have flown has had that setup.

There are T6s without that but most have converted P51 tailwheel setups which is where that locking setup comes from with the stick going full forward to unlock (at least as I understand, these are Mustang tailwheel conversions). Every T6 I have flown has had that setup.
more sense in these 2 messages than in DG's big toe - should JC have a youtube channel

As @Inverted mentioned, many of the light singles have a breakaway detent such as the Scott 3200/3400 series or Maule. The probability of having a locking tail wheel on smaller airplanes is proportionate to the rudder effectiveness and ground looping. Airplanes with higher rudder authority (most light GA planes such as Cubs, Citabria, Maule) generally have the Scott or Maule tailwheel which doesn’t lock. However, the Haigh locking tailwheel is popular on the Pitts, which I consider more of a task management device as the rudder on the Pitts is very effective and responsive. I have flown the Pitts with all three of those tail wheels, and the Maule tailwheel with out the lock is more than adequate.

You unlocked (SWIDT?) something in my dumb head, although I don't recall from which airplane, about the stick position unlocking the tail wheel.

Lol @ Sky God DG crashing a 152 because of forgetting the flaps. You don't exactly have to be Chuck Yager to feel out a climb with full flaps using your buttocks if you forget. I understand doing so killing inexperienced pilots but now that I realize that is how our hero crashed that 152 years back, it's hilarious because it's him. If I did that, you'd never see me throwing stones in a glass house afterwards lol. Did he just let it stall and not pay attention to what it was doing?

Now, if these Electra rumors are true and he crashed doing a demo specifically to show how bad those other Electra pilots screwed up only to not follow the checklist himself, then..."let's see him wriggle his way out of this one".

Last edited:
Careful

Dan Grindr after he recovers:

You guys want to come on my podcast to apologize and become good friends, or do you want me to go to your airline management?

Back