Two Lockheed Electra crashes in as many days.

He posted some verbal vomit about how it was a perfect landing and totally not his fault. I’m not going to copypasta.

Dang, that Chino crash on departure seems like some folks out to enjoy Father's Day.

Dang, that Chino crash on departure seems like some folks out to enjoy Father's Day.

I think they were preparing for rides that day, but this accident occurred. I believe Yanks only had two warbirds they flew; this one and the P-40. The bird only made it about 200-300 yards past the departure end before impacting and catching fire. Very unfortunate.

Who the F is dan gryder and why should I care who he is?
Where to start. Fired from Southernjets. Started a YouTube channel of zero day accident “analysis” that mostly consists of calling every pilot but him terrible. Stole a pertinent piece of evidence from an accident site (the Burley 208 crash) for his videos, said he knew better than the NTSB. Multiple assault charges and restraining orders. Threatens lawsuits against critics. Tried to run over cops with his own plane, only to run out of gas first. His third accident over the past two years. Puts ketchup on steak. Uses a cell phone holster. Thinks hot singles from his area want to chat. I’m probably leaving a few things out.

Or, to quote a wise man,

He is nobody, and you shall treat him as such.

Where to start. Fired from Southernjets. Started a YouTube channel of zero day accident “analysis” that mostly consists of calling every pilot but him terrible. Stole a pertinent piece of evidence from an accident site (the Burley 208 crash) for his videos, said he knew better than the NTSB. Multiple assault charges and restraining orders. Threatens lawsuits against critics. Tried to run over cops with his own plane, only to run out of gas first. His third accident over the past two years. Puts ketchup on steak. Uses a cell phone holster. Thinks hot singles from his area want to chat. I’m probably leaving a few things out.

Or, to quote a wise man,
As per the Flying Magazine article: Gryder is not affiliated with the FAA or NTSB.

There's a great book about the early Electra crashes titled the Electra Story by Robert Serling
It’s been awhile since I read it, but did the book also talk about this Electra or was it just the L-188?

Not to get sidetracked but it was a great book. It’s interesting the similarities between the Electra and Max with the public/government pressure on the FAA and aircraft manufacturer.

Who the F is dan gryder and why should I care who he is?

He’s trying to generate a new industry by combining ambulance chaser and aviation influencer. Except he isn’t qualified for either job.

It’s been awhile since I read it, but did the book also talk about this Electra or was it just the L-188?

Not to get sidetracked but it was a great book. It’s interesting the similarities between the Electra and Max with the public/government pressure on the FAA and aircraft manufacturer.
Just the -188, which, when you say Electra nowadays is what most people probably think of, or maybe that is just me, I dunno.

He’s trying to generate a new industry by combining ambulance chaser and aviation influencer. Except he isn’t qualified for either job.

Ambulance influencer?

Just the -188, which, when you say Electra nowadays is what most people probably think of, or maybe that is just me, I dunno.
Most folks will mistake an early Electra for a Beech 18, hard to blame them because they look very similar and the Beech is a lot more common. The Howard 500 though (a modified Electra), that was a hot rod, if weren't for those pesky Grumman folks and their G-1 it would've ruled the world...
7784038D-4C76-4E69-90B7-C13C53540239.jpeg

And yes I actually did work on that exact airplane once when it was stuck with a massive oil leak at KVNY.

Last edited:
Looked like the tailwheel went hard 90 during rollout
The tail wheel is supposed to be locked during the aircraft normal operation (Opposite to "unlocking" the front LG by removing the pin on other airplanes) Failure to have the tail wheel locked will make the airplane prone to ground loop, which seems to be what happened in this case. The landing looked fine until the tail wheel decided to swing. Directional control is attained via differential braking. Did they forget to lock it ? Did the pin came off or broke ? I'm sure will soon know since that area is intact and accounted for....

The tail wheel is supposed to be locked during the aircraft normal operation (Opposite to "unlocking" the front LG by removing the pin on other airplanes) Failure to have the tail wheel locked will make the airplane prone to ground loop, which seems to be what happened in this case. The landing looked fine until the tail wheel decided to swing. Directional control is attained via differential braking. Did they forget to lock it ? Did the pin came off or broke ? I'm sure will soon know since that area is intact and accounted for....
Someone was reporting that on social media DG was saying that he never locks the tailwheel for takeoff or landing on this aircraft, even though it's on the checklist. It's also said that Dan was on this flight in order to make a video about the correct use of checklist, since he had concluded that the Chino Electra had crashed due to not using a checklist. If it is indeed a tailwheel issue caused by not following a checklist by Dan, that would be the irony of ironies....

Someone was reporting that on social media DG was saying that he never locks the tailwheel for takeoff or landing on this aircraft, even though it's on the checklist. It's also said that Dan was on this flight in order to make a video about the correct use of checklist, since he had concluded that the Chino Electra had crashed due to not using a checklist. If it is indeed a tailwheel issue caused by not following a checklist by Dan, that would be the irony of ironies....
Lance Armstrong all over again. 709 ride?

I will give you some more irony. DG berated the Chino crew for forgetting to bring the flaps up and not using the checklist. DG crashed a 152 a few years ago because he didn't raise the flaps on a go-around. Dan's focus for the proficiency flight with Glen was to show proper checklist usage in an Electra, yet it appears they either purposefully didn't lock the tailwheel, forgot to lock it, or the lock pin sheered.

If he doesn't lock the tailwheel on the DC-3, he might be the only operator I have found who doesn't. On the B-17 we were always hyper-concerned with the lock pin and if that pin sheered on landing, you were 100% going to ground loop it. In fact, before we lost our B-17, we had a ground loop incident a couple of decades earlier where the locking pin sheered. I have zero Electra time but I have talked to several who fly the Twin Beech, DC-3, and even the Howard 500, and 100% of them thought I was crazy for even asking if they locked the tailwheel. It would be very non-standard to keep the tailwheel unlocked.

Back