Transitioning Army Helicopter Pilot to Commercial Fixed wing looking to gain flight time exoerience

fastest way to gains 200 hrs of fixed wing time

• Flight Instructor

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • Ferry Flights

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Alex B

Hey guys,

I am an Army Helicopter pilot transitioning out into the civilian commercial fixed wing world. I have around 1000 hrs of twin turbine time, currently gaining my fixed wing SE/ME Commercial rating and I am looking for advice and recommendations on how to gain around 180 hours of fixed wing time to get me up to the minimum required of 250 hrs for entry into the airlines. Thanks and I am looking forward your words of wisdom. Thanks

First, welcome to JC!

Primary instruction is the best way to get the experience. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind along the way:
1) Not everybody counts helo time. You won't change their minds.
2) Flying in the civilian world is much different. Comms techniques are different, nobody knows what "negative ETR" means. Get in the PCG.
3) There is no "mission" -- don't fixate on getting wherever or completing a flight. You don't HAVE to do it.
4) Not everybody is as motivated as your IERW class. Don't make the students stand at attention and recite EPs and limitations. ;)
5) Have fun and remember that you, as the CFI, can learn as you give instruction.
6) Don't hover the airplane. :cool:

Ferry time is hard to come by at reputable companies. Don't ever do it for free. You'll get the wrath of the JC community, and any other pilot with a slight bit of self worth.

Get your CFI. My most memorable flights were as a CFI. And I have some life long friends now.

Welcome to JC!
CFI is a great way to go because it gives you hours, and experience at the same time. @deadstick gives great advice above, you won't go wrong following his "Checklist".
Also, before you put it on a resume for the airlines, your helicopter time isn't what companies are looking for when they ask for "twin turbine" time. As for your helicopter hours; turbine, yes, twin-turbine, not so much.

Ferry flights are not as cool as they sound. Most of the time the airplane hasn't been flown in a while and it will try to kill you. Cfi doesn't sound cool and the students will try to kill you. Any questions? Good luck!

Flight instruction would probably work better than ferry flights, for the reasons others have mentioned. I would especially recommend it if you have the desire to teach, and are not just in it for Hobbs time.

Aerial Survey might also be worth looking into. The survey company I worked for until recently often hires very low time pilots. You might also look into SkyLens, http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/skylens-hiring-for-2015-16-season-new-low-mins.223120/ which is a competitor to my old company. Their owner has stated he prefers to hire former military personnel. I'm not sure if these companies would have a fixed-wing time requirement for insurance reasons, but even if they do you might already meet it. My first season at Air America, one of the other pilots was a former Army Helicopter pilot who was able to build a decent amount of fixed-wing time and was hired at an airline after the season. It seemed to work out well enough for him, but I'm not sure how much fixed-wing time he had before the season.

Best of luck with your transition to civilian flying!

I am an Army Helicopter pilot transitioning out into the civilian commercial fixed wing world. I have around 1000 hrs of twin turbine time, currently gaining my fixed wing SE/ME Commercial rating and I am looking for advice and recommendations on how to gain around 180 hours of fixed wing time to get me up to the minimum required of 250 hrs for entry into the airlines. Thanks and I am looking forward your words of wisdom. Thanks

I would second what several have said about flying survey for 6 months, and you will have ATP mins. Or you could find a freight job that hires co pilots where you would upgrade quickly.

Earning your CFI is a great addition to your resume, but in your case the time would probably not be worth it.

Your helo time may not be counted at some of the major airlines, but almost any of the regionals will snap you up with a couple hundred hours of fixed wing. After you spend a couple of years at Skywest or Envoy you will have all the flight time you need to move up.

You may also find a SIC position at a 135 operator. Your professionalism and maturity will carry the day vice number of hours.

Hey guys,

Welcome to the JC community! There is a lot of good information to be had here, as well as a lot of great people.

First, let's start with a splash of cold water. To the airlines (121 operators) you have 1000 hrs of Helo time. Airlines don't care if your rotorcraft has one engine or two, or if it is piston or turbine powered (Of course all military rotor is turbine). As far as they are concerned it is simply Helo time, don't fall into the trap when it is time to fill out applications in the near future.

As @deadstick pointed out above, not all.....read - almost none, of the airlines count rotor time. Is it infuriating? Absolutely. However, you can rant, rave, hoot, holler, bitch, moan, all of the above, or none, as I have done all of then for you already, it ain't going to chance a thing. Just be ready for that, forewarned is forearmed.

That being said, I happen to fly for a carrier, B6, that has a very good policy towards military helo time. In fact, I recently met a guy at the company who came straight from Marine AH-1 directly to the airline, so it is not all dome and gloom.

I would recommend that, assuming you haven't separated yet, make sure you get your MilComp out of the way if you haven't already done so. That will save you a bit of time, and perhaps a few dollars in the future.

I went the flight instruction route to transition from rotor to fixed wing, however I did not transition right after I exited the service. I would recommend that you look WELL past your 250 hour target, and concentrate on building experience on the civilian side of the fence. Focus on your ATP as a goal, and network, network, network!!!

In fact, I recently met a guy at the company who came straight from Marine AH-1 directly to the airline, so it is not all dome and gloom.

They probably were just scared that he would machine gun them if they didn't hire. That is a real bad a** airframe, glad they are considered equals in the majors hiring line.

First, let's start with a splash of cold water. To the airlines (121 operators) you have 1000 hrs of Helo time. Airlines don't care if your rotorcraft has one engine or two, or if it is piston or turbine powered (Of course all military rotor is turbine). As far as they are concerned it is simply Helo time, don't fall into the trap when it is time to fill out applications in the near future.

I got to thinking he might have some old info because I *believe* fifteen-some-odd years ago, many regionals were counting ME helo time as multi-turbine.

One thing I'd add about this is log everything IAW the FARs. Note there are two definitions of PIC, 14 CFR 1.1 and 61.51. Just keep those separate. Each airline has their own theory on splitting hairs. Don't keep your log to satisfy XYZ airline. Just tailor the resume.

Has anyone come up with a list of airlines that do accept rotor time? I only know of JB that explicitly mentions it.

First, let's start with a splash of cold water. To the major airlines (121 operators) you have 1000 hrs of Helo time. Airlines don't care if your rotorcraft has one engine or two, or if it is piston or turbine powered (Of course all military rotor is turbine). As far as they are concerned it is simply Helo time, don't fall into the trap when it is time to fill out applications in the near future.

FIFY

Has anyone come up with a list of airlines that do accept rotor time? I only know of JB that explicitly mentions it.

I'm not certain, but most regionals will accept a healthy chunk of rotor time. I know Mesa will.

If you can get to 1500 TT with 500 fixed wing, just about any regional will snap you up. Another 1000 121 jet SIC, and you can apply to the majors.

FIFY

I'm not certain, but most regionals will accept a healthy chunk of rotor time. I know Mesa will.

If you can get to 1500 TT with 500 fixed wing, just about any regional will snap you up. Another 1000 121 jet SIC, and you can apply to the majors.

Even if they accept his rotor time, they will not view it a multi engine turbine. I was trying to point this out above all.
I'm sure there are regionals, even majors, that will let you count it towards TT. However, if you look at most airline's retirements, their TT requirement is specific to airplanes.

He should probably be able to get on with a regional rather quickly.

Back