Considering a major transition in my aviation career.

Hey everyone, OP here. Just wanted to say thank you to all the people who contributed. Most of the info is along the lines of what I expected. “Going rotary wing is essentially like starting over.” Etc. That said. It is all useful, and helps me sift through what exactly I want to do. As for now I have a good job, and will continue to look into what to do next.

thanks very much!

Now that I think of it no one I know personally that is either rich and/or self-fulfilled were never involved with aviation or got out of it as soon as they could.

Feeling like your job is meaningful is all about perspective. At a busy 135, you're likely taking a lot of people on vacations and it's hard to really get any personal fulfillment out of that. Private flying is extremely diverse though and you shouldn't bail without looking in to other avenues which may give you a better sense of purpose.

I used to fly a family owned 601 and some of the flying was for one of the owner's businesses. The other pilot and I would always ask how things went when we knew it was a business flight and the owner and his partners were happy to say. Eventually they figured out we enjoyed feeling like we contributed to the cause and that started getting us invites to the golf outings and other corporate bonding events.

My current job is with a Fortune 150 and while it doesn't have the same family feel as the 601 job, I know that I am helping my company succeed by making the flights happen.

You're already on the private side of the fence so a transition to a HNWI or a corporate 91 account isn't as hard as you'd think.

Hey everyone, OP here. Just wanted to say thank you to all the people who contributed. Most of the info is along the lines of what I expected. “Going rotary wing is essentially like starting over.” Etc. That said. It is all useful, and helps me sift through what exactly I want to do. As for now I have a good job, and will continue to look into what to do next.

thanks very much!
If you're looking at CBP, then you should also look at DOD contract ISR. Flying just about the same planes on similar missions with great people in way cooler places (now that AFG is gone) making way more money, and you don't have to go through the pain of becoming a federal agent. With 121 starting to drain the pool again, the ISR outfits are in need of pilots real bad.

I get that some people poo poo the airlines, but if you can disconnect yourself from the job and just use it for what it is, a good gig that affords lots of money and time off, you can go out and do “good works” to your hearts content.

The happiest people I know come to work, fly their 3 trips a month, and go home. They assiduously steer clear of the drama, and strangely enough, when people do that, it steers clear of them. They do all kinds of stuff on their (significant) time off, charity, volunteering, Scouts, church, animal shelter, library, whatever.

I get that some people poo poo the airlines, but if you can disconnect yourself from the job and just use it for what it is, a good gig that affords lots of money and time off, you can go out and do “good works” to your hearts content.

The happiest people I know come to work, fly their 3 trips a month, and go home. They assiduously steer clear of the drama, and strangely enough, when people do that, it steers clear of them. They do all kinds of stuff on their (significant) time off, charity, volunteering, Scouts, church, animal shelter, library, whatever.

I know lots of people that left 91/135 to go 121.

I don’t know a single person that has left a LCC/Major/Legacy to go 135/91.

I think this is a lesson for anything really, not just 121 flying. The happiest people I know in just about any profession are those who are very content with how much time they get at home. Good pay combined with lots of time off mean you can just be yourself, hard to be unhappy with that.

"Voluntarily decided to move to that job" lol.

I know a guy who left UPS to go back to the 91/135 but the circumstances if they are true, were pretty crazy. Had to do with family and being based out in ANC or something.

"Yeah I left my 200K gig flying FO on an MD11 to come back and fly a B1900 for $50k. Just didnt like the routes".
He was flying a large cabin something or other part 91 but yeah. The pay wasn't going to touch UPS 4 or 5th year but for the area they lived in it wasn't horrible.

Which annoys the geese and gets goose poop everywhere.
D9EF733C-2029-4C27-9B2E-D66634C8CB87.gif

Hello,

Been a long long time lurker here, and alot of the valuable info I,ve gained over the course of my career was through this website. Currently a cptn at a well established 135 operator, and in the last few years have been in the typical debate of "should I go to the airlines". At this point the idea of flying a people or a box bus around sounds really uninteresting. Frankly ,I could care less about the money. I've honestly been thinking alot about seriously altering the course of my career. It may sound dumb, but I want my career to have purpose, not just make me alot of money. In that regard I have been seriously thinking about getting a helicopter add on to my ATP. I have yet to look into the fine details, but my purpose would be to possibly eventually transition into EMS or law enforcement, etc. On a side note, I do understand the difficulties involve with things like law enforcement today. I have a close friend who has done it for 15 years. Other possibilities Ive considered are simply doing fixed wing stuff for CBP, law enforcement, or gov. Agencies of some sort. I'd love to hear some input, and possible time line on things like this from anyone who is willing to share. Lastly, im not sure how important this is, but in 37 currently.

Thanks so much guys.
Apply at CBP. They take you on as a fixed wing operator only, but in the mean time get your rotor add on to be more attractive. They are one of the only agencies that will let you fly both without ever spending time as a street cop.

I’ve worn a badge for almost 8 years. And I’ve had my commercial fixed wing for even longer. In my opinion, if you want some exciting work in the law enforcement aviation field; go CBP. But do it now! They have a cut off for age.

Apply at CBP. They take you on as a fixed wing operator only, but in the mean time get your rotor add on to be more attractive. They are one of the only agencies that will let you fly both without ever spending time as a street cop.

AND.... you get to wander around as a foot patrol in the middle of the desert at night.

@MikeD

Back