Rated Pilot in the Reserves looking for advice

as it comes to the daily ops of the unit, I agree that everyone should have a part in the various unit jobs and responsibilities, as well as the appropriate professional development. The only difficult part is some squadron/group jobs that require daily attention, aren’t well suited to the traditional/part timer aircrew people.
That what the AGRs are for though, right?

That what the AGRs are for though, right?

yup, the AGRs and the Technicians. Some units though, expect the traditionals to hold certain jobs that aren’t very conducive to a part timer. So it doesn’t work out so well in terms of job getting done efficiently, as well as taking up a slot or job that a full timer could be doing.

The USN/USMC Reserve, one doesn’t start there as an aviator, correct? Unlike the ANG/AFRES, where one can do so.

Correct. Consequently, there have been times when reserve squadrons had no pilots below O-4.

Pilots from other branches are also eligible for consideration.

A bunch of full-time enlisted guys do the heavy lifting.

Correct. Consequently, there have been times when reserve squadrons had no pilots below O-4.

Pilots from other branches are also eligible for consideration.

A bunch of full-time enlisted guys do the heavy lifting.

What he said. It is entertaining when the "coffee mess officer" (snack-O I believe in AF speak) is an O-5. Though I guess that is not unlike CAF billets for you blue suits :)

I'll say that the SELRES and FTS Sailors I've encountered are generally pretty sh*t hot. A FCPO in the reserves is probably the technical/knowledge equivalent of an active E-9 in a lot of cases. Albeit the admin side isn't always as clean, but that is normally not due to your local admin FTS folk who are equally talented. Overall, I've been impressed with the caliber of folks we have O and E alike in my first 6 months of affiliation. It is too bad that the active side can't get over trying to create the "well rounded Sailor"....ie take them away from their primary duties for tour after tour, and then throw them back into the hot seat as a new CPO in MX control and watch them burn. So dumb. I know we have a lot of hot fills that aren't rate/community specific, but man.....if we just left our folks be in their communities to learn and become experts, and if we didn't underman the very important senior NCO billets, things would flow a lot more smoothly. Same for CPO/SCPO/MCPO's that are torn away from their communities and thrown into whatever needs a body at that rank. We have a TON of E7's who are literally just doing OJT in a completely new community/airframe but with all the experience requirements, and through no fault of their own, failing in leading their shops/divisions in expertise and mentorship. It is frustrating.....maybe one of the reasons I pulled chocks. All good guys/gals, but our personnel/detailing system is failing them.

What he said. It is entertaining when the "coffee mess officer" (snack-O I believe in AF speak) is an O-5. Though I guess that is not unlike CAF billets for you blue suits :)

I'll say that the SELRES and FTS Sailors I've encountered are generally pretty sh*t hot. A FCPO in the reserves is probably the technical/knowledge equivalent of an active E-9 in a lot of cases. Albeit the admin side isn't always as clean, but that is normally not due to your local admin FTS folk who are equally talented. Overall, I've been impressed with the caliber of folks we have O and E alike in my first 6 months of affiliation. It is too bad that the active side can't get over trying to create the "well rounded Sailor"....ie take them away from their primary duties for tour after tour, and then throw them back into the hot seat as a new CPO in MX control and watch them burn. So dumb. I know we have a lot of hot fills that aren't rate/community specific, but man.....if we just left our folks be in their communities to learn and become experts, and if we didn't underman the very important senior NCO billets, things would flow a lot more smoothly. Same for CPO/SCPO/MCPO's that are torn away from their communities and thrown into whatever needs a body at that rank. We have a TON of E7's who are literally just doing OJT in a completely new community/airframe but with all the experience requirements, and through no fault of their own, failing in leading their shops/divisions in expertise and mentorship. It is frustrating.....maybe one of the reasons I pulled chocks. All good guys/gals, but our personnel/detailing system is failing them.

Could you go through the P-8 RAG and get a 737 type rating?

Could you go through the P-8 RAG and get a 737 type rating?

Interesting you ask. The answer is "no", which is insane. Don't quote me, but I believe VR squadrons flying the C-40 are able to get the type though. But then again, all those guys are reservists so the Navy has no incentive to hold them back from ratings that might contribute to outside endeavors :) But to your original question, I have known a few P-8 guys now who have gone and done the ATP+Type check. Obviously that is cheaper than a guy like me doing the same since they can essentially just hop in cold and do the check ride, but insanity given the fact that they are already fully qualified in the same aircraft.

Interesting you ask. The answer is "no", which is insane. Don't quote me, but I believe VR squadrons flying the C-40 are able to get the type though. But then again, all those guys are reservists so the Navy has no incentive to hold them back from ratings that might contribute to outside endeavors :) But to your original question, I have known a few P-8 guys now who have gone and done the ATP+Type check. Obviously that is cheaper than a guy like me doing the same since they can essentially just hop in cold and do the check ride, but insanity given the fact that they are already fully qualified in the same aircraft.

So, P-8 is considered unique enough that it's excluded from the 737 type ratings?

I know the C-40 is primarily a Reserve gig but figured there's a bunch of bodies chasing a dozen planes versus over a hundred P-8's.

So, P-8 is considered unique enough that it's excluded from the 737 type ratings?

I know the C-40 is primarily a Reserve gig but figured there's a bunch of bodies chasing a dozen planes versus over a hundred P-8's.

Yeah I guess that was the final navy answer. I also heard when they first got the jets (P-8's), they (P-3 dudes) didn't understand the concept of reduced thrust takeoffs and just went TOGA out of the gate on every TO roll. Burned a bunch of engines before they heard that, well, that's not how others do it in transport cat jets.

As for C-40, yeah, all are USNR hardware squadrons. There are some FTS guys flying them too, and historically there have been guys go straight from flight school to there (I met one, unheard of in the last decade+), but for all intents and purposes, reserve only jets.

Back