Train Conductor

hey, you get my msg on facebook?

Yep, replied to you that day via my phone, maybe it didn't get back to you? If you got a plane I'll go anytime. I might actually be going down to Fargo here when I mark up. Not sure yet. I'll shoot you an email about it.

For the rest of you, my Fiance is sick, really sick. It's been 9+ hour days that aren't tough, but with running around to do the errands and make sure she's ok, I'm out of time, again. However, I actually have tomorrow off and I'm planning what would be a 2 or 3 page post. Hopefully I'll get it up tomorrow.

Sorry about not keeping you all up to date as I progressed through. They are still hiring if anyone wants in!

How did you get away with saying that you like trains and railroads in your cover letter. I thought that was a no no because they might think you are a railfan and railroads hate that. How often do you getcalled in? Do you only get one day off a week? I ve applied to some locations but got rejection letters so far... Wonder what I am doing wrong...
Hope your fiancee feels better.

Well, when it rains, it pours.

Anyways I'm finally getting to this. First off, this is an opinion, not legal perspective nor am I stating the opinions of any class 1 railroad. Just thought I would cover that right off the bat as they watch the internet way more than airlines do. If you have questions, PM me or search the internet. There are a lot of great sites with information on it.

Ok, first off, getting the job. You really need to have a cover letter and a resume. So what to put on it? That you're willing to slave away for days on end in all weather. No, seriously, do it. Tell them that you work nights and weekends, have no problem being on call and love to camp. Tell them that you take 20 miles fun hikes or that you work outside year round moving things, or that you haven't owned a pair of pants other than jeans for the last 2 years. They want people that can work outside all day long and be ok. They don't expect you to be an ironman, but they do expect that you can do the job and not gripe about it. Show them that. In the cover letter express how you enjoy having a job outside, and that you hate being couped up in an office. You've always admired the railroad but was never sure how to get into it, or that you aspire to be an engineer one day. I talked briefly on how I had a Lionel train set as a child and always loved it. Which is true, I just loved my friend's RC aircraft a lot more. Apply where you want to work. Apply often as well, they like people that reapply. They'll get 2000 resumes and select 200. Most of those came from the last few rounds of the job. So don't just drop it, it's nice.

So now about the job itself. You need to think about your model railroad set that you had as a kid as it's exactly like that. The basic concept is that the cars only have brakes, otherwise you need the power to move everything. The power is the locomotives and they don't go terribly fast so everything takes time. In a 8 hour shift, you might move 150 cars in the yard. On the road, maybe do 30 switches, possibly with 100+ cars at a time, but usually just 1 or 2. So it's a lot of wait 5 minutes, wait 10 minutes. The hours go by really quick as you're always doing something, it just takes time. You cannot move a car from one track to another by lifting. Everything has to get pulled and switched. That's why you have yards. You'll have a train come in with cars for 3 different cities. So, you pull that train out, and put the 3 pieces into 3 separate tracks that will eventually be the train going to that city. When you have all the cars, you get the train going.

So how much of this is physical labor? Not much, not much at all. You let the engine do EVERYTHING. The most physical part of it is the walking. It is a rule that you don't run. Seriously, FRA rule says don't run. You're walking on gravel, about 1.5' long pieces that are razor sharp. It's not easy to walk on, I can't imagine running on it. You'll probably walk anywhere from 1 to 15 miles in a day. The most I've done is about 7 or 8 miles in a 12 hour shift. More common is about an hr of walking in a shift. Most of the time you're in the engine riding it. If you're in the yard switching, normally on the lead which is smooth dirt, for about 4-5 miles in a 8 hour shift. You may have to ride cars, which I think is the most challenging at times as the hand holds aren't the best sometimes. Those you usually ride for anywhere from 5-10 minutes at a time. If you can't hold on, you stop and walk it. Plenty of people do it. You never need to ride a car. However, plenty of people do as your feet get tired.

So why ride cars? You need to see where you're going at all times. The engineer can see forward, so if you go backwards, you either need to be behind the train so you can watch where it's going, or ride the rear to protect it. Why do we have to do this? Because people are stupid and don't respect trains. You know the people, who run railroad gates, or go through the yard at 1am in between cars. Each car can weigh from 25 tons to 200 tons. Get 30 of those in a row and you're already talking about 200 yards to stop it, at best. So we always have to watch where it goes, which is the bulk of the walking and riding.

To get cars apart, you have to lift up a lever, which I would say is about 10 lbs of force, so you need to be able to do that. They couple just like your train set as a kid, just push them together. So I know people were worried about the weight, and you don't have to lift more than 10 lbs, or be able to ride a ladder on the side of the car. That's it. Take your time, don't rush, do it safe. These cars and engines will kill you. So you never lose respect for them.

The most dangerous part? You have to go inbetween sometimes and tie the air hoses that go from car to car. You need to go through a bunch of items to make sure the cars wont move before you do it. If you don't: http://ksax.com/article/stories/s1956460.shtml

Here's kindof an idea of the work. We are NOT allowed to get on or off moving equipment:
[video=youtube;Sl7MQGG0nSY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl7MQGG0nSY[/video]

Now about the work. I can't speak to the pay or benefits as that depends on the railroad and the UTU contract which is privy information. However, I don't make less that $200 a day that I work, and it's often much much higher. Advertised pay is 50K in training and 65K the first year. With how low they are right now in manpower you can work as much as you like, and that usually will get you 80K+. Engineers make almost the same, but have a few bonuses that can be 10-20K. There are some hourly jobs and some that pay by the mile. You have to get hired to learn more.

Medical benefits are here from the UTU: http://www.utu.org/worksite/healthnews/PDFs/RLBC_SPD_0908.pdf

Very, VERY good medical benefits.

The hours: they try for as little as they can because the obviously pay you for the more you work. They also try to get you home as you get paid very well for being away from home. Yard jobs are 8 hours 5 days a week. Road jobs are however long they take, paid by mileage. Either way you go you have a maximum of 12 hours on duty, and 10 hours of rest minimum (10 hours of rest even if you work 1 minute). That rest has to be undisturbed, if they call you, you can tell them that it resets. If you work 6 days, you get 48 hours off. If you work 7 days you get 72 hours off. You cannot work more than 7 days straight. Yard jobs work 5 days, 2 days off. Same 2 days every day. Road jobs get called in to work, variable start times and variable days off.

In theory you can mark 7 days off a month, 5 weekdays and 2 weekend days. Seniority defines what you can actually take off. THIS VARIES BY RAILROAD AND IS AVAILABLE BY UTU / numerous internet forums, please dont quote me on this. This will most likely change soon. If you are available for work and don't get called, that does not count as a day off. So already this is better than being a CFI. If they call you and say nevermind you get a flat rate pay regardless. The amount is better that my old 2 day pay, but I can't say how much it is until you get hired. You also then get another 10 hours off.

Vacation is the one weak point, they'll talk about it when you get hired, and I heard before I got hired 1 week after a year and that seems true with most class 1 railroads. BNSF is a bit different and you just need to get hired.

So what's the verdict? I like it. I don't love it, but it's a very good job, easy to do, and my quality of life is much higher. This is very well akin to working the ramp somewhere, but with less physical labor. Way better benefits and pay as well. Keep applying to where you want to go and hopefully you'll get it. Most of the people you'll work with will have only graduated high school, and are a bit of tough heads. A lot of the new hires are college graduates and there are a few masters level students here and there. Feel free to PM me. For those of you who thought I wrote off being a pilot, I am still a pilot. My name says it all. If I could find a flying job with the same benefits and pay or better I might go back if there was similar job security. Here's a big difference, jobs are stable here, you basically can't get fired, and if you get furloughed they pay you and you can keep your health insurance while furloughed (depends on the railroad).

If you can hold the job I would apply to:
BNSF - USA
CP - Canada
CN - Canada
Amtrak - USA
UP- USA (iffy?)

Avoid CSX and NS. Their workers aren't happy for a lot of reasons.

Any questions, post them here, PM me, or search online. I can take care of my family and I'm home more than I was as a CFI. So I made the move for a while. I also had 10 years to fly and enjoy it, but I never got ahead, and I guarantee the pay is more than 10 year captains at almost every regional, and better than 10 year captains at most majors. That's by your 2nd year here. Also, if anyone is in town and wants to start an aircraft partnership, I'm thinking about buying next year.

Now for the disclaimer:

ALL INFORMATION IN THIS POST IS MERELY OPINION NOT REPRESENTING THE VIEWS OR AGREEMENTS OF ANY PARTICULAR RAILROAD AND IS MERELY A COLLECTION OF OPINIONS AND FREELY AVAILABLE AND DISTRIBUTED KNOWLEDGE.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. The whole getting paid while furloughed thing is that only for BNSF or all the railroads?

No idea as it's a UTU thing which represents all Class 1 railroads. However, each terminal has local agreements.

Proudpilot you are originally from GFK or moved there for the job?

Came here for school, worked as a CFI for a long time. I had a few other job offers but everything was low 30's and with too many student loans that just wouldn't work. So I moved over to the railroad.

Are there jumpseat privagles?

Seriously? No, no jumpseat privileges. Lots of travel perks, but trains can take 12 hours what it takes you to drive 1 hr.

Seriously? No, no jumpseat privileges. Lots of travel perks, but trains can take 12 hours what it takes you to drive 1 hr.
For real! I was going to go visit a friend in austin and I wanted to go by train... Amtrak had me go to DC, Chicago, then Austin for a grand total of 4 days (seriously... 4 days)

Is there another way to legally ride the trains and get from A to B that is NOT amtrak? I'm sure there is an easier way to get to Austin....

Hey ProudPilot, how's the job going? I love following this thread and reading this. My dad was trying to get me to go and apply for one of the positions for "conductor trainee" for Burlington Northern out of Tulsa. The pay is very nice and it's something I would be interested in doing, I do believe.

I'm in college full time and will be a Junior next spring, so I'm sticking to finishing the degree out first. Currently looking at getting a job in Law Enforcement most likely on the Federal side. If that doesn't go through, I like to keep my options open and I'm keeping the train driving business on the list.

Hey Proud Pilot thanks for the insight. I actually have a good friend that is a conductor for UP in Wyoming. Most of what he has said about the job is dead on with what you just posted.

Minneapolis and Dilworth, MN - looking to hire conductor trainees. Nothing else is coming up for me at the moment - and I have sent in my apps again. This is the 4th time I have applied, and probably going to be the 4th time I am called for an interview. Hopefully, this time I can make it there.

Will keep ya'll posted.

Cheers
Sunny

Great thread! It seems kinda odd my first post on an aviation forum is regarding trains. I was all gung ho about going the professional pilot route, which is why I joined this board. After digging further into, I have since changed my mind. I will still get my PPL and other ratings just for my own personal experience, but that's it. Now today I find you post while googling train conductors. I have one question that you hopefully didn't already answer, how often are you gone for days at a time? I only ask this because I am seriously considering applying for BNSF, but have a dog, which is like a child to me. If you truly are gone days at a time, it would be a hard decision to make, and I would be shipping her off to live with my parents.

Great thread! It seems kinda odd my first post on an aviation forum is regarding trains. I was all gung ho about going the professional pilot route, which is why I joined this board. After digging further into, I have since changed my mind. I will still get my PPL and other ratings just for my own personal experience, but that's it. Now today I find you post while googling train conductors. I have one question that you hopefully didn't already answer, how often are you gone for days at a time? I only ask this because I am seriously considering applying for BNSF, but have a dog, which is like a child to me. If you truly are gone days at a time, it would be a hard decision to make, and I would be shipping her off to live with my parents.

If you work the yard, 8 hours on, 16 hours off. The road, 12 hours on, tie up at hotel for 10 hours, 12 hours home, 10 hours at home. Repeat 3 times, 2 days off. The yard, work 5 days, 2 days off. The yard you make around 65/yr. The road, 85+/yr.

Tuesday, August 16th for positions in Dilworth, MN.

They have changed things around a bit now. Have to take an online assessment - before you get invited to the interview. Simple questions pertaining to the work place and how you would handle safety issues.

I will be attending the interview on the 16th in Fargo, if all goes well.

Cheers
Sunny

Tuesday, August 16th for positions in Dilworth, MN.

They have changed things around a bit now. Have to take an online assessment - before you get invited to the interview. Simple questions pertaining to the work place and how you would handle safety issues.

I will be attending the interview on the 16th in Fargo, if all goes well.

Cheers
Sunny

Is it just for one position or several? Any interview dates later on?

Back