Train Conductor

Is it just for one position or several? Any interview dates later on?

I would assume it is for multiple positions. Just like how the OP stated. No idea about interview dates later on. Although, they keep hiring people all the time.

Keep checking the BNSF website, regularly. Once you apply, keep checking the careers section - and when the ad gets pulled, you know the call for assessments and interviews is going out. This gives you a little bit of room to figure things out. From what I have seen, interviews are on a weekday.

Go to Fargo, I repeat, go to Fargo. Better jobs, better pay, more seniority faster. I'm transferring down. And yes, multiple jobs. IIRC about 50 to interview which means about 25 offered the job for a hopeful 16 to make it to training, 14 to finish it. A lot of people can't pass the test or the interview.

You always work safe, you always follow the rules, and you can work in all weather. That will get you the job. Fargo has a lot more hop on hop off freight. Grand forks has a lot more stop every 30min trains or work outside 12 hours trains. Minot is a mix.

Goodluck.

Go to Fargo, I repeat, go to Fargo. Better jobs, better pay, more seniority faster. I'm transferring down. And yes, multiple jobs. IIRC about 50 to interview which means about 25 offered the job for a hopeful 16 to make it to training, 14 to finish it. A lot of people can't pass the test or the interview.

You always work safe, you always follow the rules, and you can work in all weather. That will get you the job. Fargo has a lot more hop on hop off freight. Grand forks has a lot more stop every 30min trains or work outside 12 hours trains. Minot is a mix.

Goodluck.

Dilworth would have been my choice if I had been able to make the interview

Yeah, I could bump 20 people down there last week, now I can't hold at all and I'm moving! Crap. I might need to rent a place up here again for a bit. When the harvest starts up it wont be a problem.

Oh yeah it will be. You missed this class, but I'd say another in 2 weeks or so. I think they have 3 more classes this year and like 6 or 7 next year.

Hey Proudpilot, this has been an awesome thread. You have definitely sparked my interest with moving in this direction. It was something I considered several years ago, but wasn't quite convinced. I was wondering if you could elaborate more on why no one should work at CSX and NS. I live in ATL and these are the only railroad operators that I know of in this area. Thanks!

I believe CSX you only get 1 day off a month, the rest you're always on call. Days you're not called are counted as days off, kinda sucks.
NS just hate their employees. I think it's the heat or something. Crappy engines, long days, and low pay. Isn't the UP down there as well? Maybe try AMTRAK?

Thanks for the reply. I am considering a career change, and when I saw this thread it sparked my interest in the railroad again. I would think Amtrak would want you to have prior experience. I will definitely check to see if UP is out here. I wish you good luck in your new endeavors.

Hey Proudpilot, this has been an awesome thread. You have definitely sparked my interest with moving in this direction. It was something I considered several years ago, but wasn't quite convinced. I was wondering if you could elaborate more on why no one should work at CSX and NS. I live in ATL and these are the only railroad operators that I know of in this area. Thanks!

oh please! this sounds just like regional pilots who dont work for said regional, telling everyone how bad it is. I have worked for CSX for a number of years. If you can get a job with any class one railroad in the U.S., its a good thing. trust me. Union Pacific is not an option in Atlanta.

oh please! this sounds just like regional pilots who dont work for said regional, telling everyone how bad it is. I have worked for CSX for a number of years. If you can get a job with any class one railroad in the U.S., its a good thing. trust me. Union Pacific is not an option in Atlanta.

I passed on the opportunity to interview for the dispatcher position with CSX only because it was out of state and I was busy.
Any info. on this position, schedule, pay, etc.

Then later you could work for Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), and get paid $100k a year to let ATO (Automatic Train Operation) drive the train for you. ;) Haha sorry just had to get that out of my system, keep up the great thread, it's fascinating reading. :)

I passed on the opportunity to interview for the dispatcher position with CSX only because it was out of state and I was busy.
Any info. on this position, schedule, pay, etc.

BNSF it's $305/day + benefits, 40 hrs a week. Overtime is an option at 1.5x day rate. Inside, with computers and a radio, fairly nice job, really nice for the railroad. Only downside to BNSF is you have to work in Texas.

Do you know anything about working more on the overall operations side of things, such as dispatching? When I was furloughed from my airline BNSF was hiring dispatchers. Their HQ is just a few miles from my house and once I got to see their dispatching center. It looked exactly like an airline SOC. I thought about applying but never did, but always thought that would be fun. I'm not sure if I'm the type to work on the trains, but getting to see their overall operations just fascinates me.

BNSF it's $305/day + benefits, 40 hrs a week. Overtime is an option at 1.5x day rate. Inside, with computers and a radio, fairly nice job, really nice for the railroad. Only downside to BNSF is you have to work in Texas.

CSX is about $300 a day. No overtime option for dispatch at CSX. due to the stressful nature of the job, the most you can be on duty is 9 hours. I believe that is an FRA rule.

Only downside to BNSF is you have to work in Texas.

BNSF does have a San Bernadino dispatch office but I believe you have to be higher up on the seniority list. Opening currently posted on their website

UP I believe has a Springs TX and souther CA office besides OMA

Blah. Another interview that I had to miss. Had another interview the same day in Fargo.

Got offered that position. Started yesterday.

Cheers and good luck to all!

What terminal do you work from ProudPilot?! I am waiting on a final offer from BNSF and 'supposed' to be starting at Northtown yard in Minneapolis. Interestingly someone told me that they can send me somewhere else based on need and make that place my new home terminal... I find that hard to believe and quite disturbing( to be more specific i heard that Aberdeen could be where I end up). My question is: I applied for Minneapolis, shouldn't that be where I am based off of?

On a side note, I got a call from CP Rail today about a conductor trainee too to make things more difficult... sorry for the ramble! This thread is so great I had to write something as soon as i signed up lol. Thanks and hi to all!

Back