Train Conductor

Still applying all over the system, havn't gotten a call yet. Hopping for Den, but will take anyplace except California. If it is true, senority is everything? How long can you transfer or bid out to another station?

12 months for a transfer. Go where you want. If you want engineer, GFK is great. A LOT of people are retiring.

I have been trying to get an interview with CSX for about 2 years. I have applied 5 times already and have a current app in with them. Granted, I don't have any heavy equipment experience. Am I doing something wrong or do you have any advice on how to get an interview at least? Thanks.

you must do a cover letter. I included one about how I have trains around my Christmas tree every year and I grew up playing with Lionel trains.

I would stress working 365/7/24 and working outside in all weather in your resume and the interview.

Stress safety and rules compliance.

you must do a cover letter. I included one about how I have trains around my Christmas tree every year and I grew up playing with Lionel trains.

I would stress working 365/7/24 and working outside in all weather in your resume and the interview.

Stress safety and rules compliance.

did you submit the resume with your app or bring it with you? I didn't submit one when i applied and still got offered an interview, i was going to bring one with me.

did you submit the resume with your app or bring it with you? I didn't submit one when i applied and still got offered an interview, i was going to bring one with me.

I included the resume and cover letter in the application, AND I brought a copy to the interview.

So an update. Overall, I enjoy the job. However, I don't take the same pride in my job like I did flight instructing. Railroading is fun, simple, and not terribly physically demanding. You can definitely work smart, not hard. I'm wrapping up my job training on yard switching and yard locals. There are moments that it is mundane, but not often. Out in the local area, it goes slow. I had a long day today that I feel like I would have done the work much less time, but that's just part of the job.

The engines are pretty cool with the technology that drives them. Simple to operate, but lots of rules governing them. For those of you still looking into joining up, now is a very good time to get in as the seniority hike is going to be very very high. I can hold an extraboard spot on whichever board I like when I get hired on. There are two jobs I might even be able to hold as soon as I upgrade to conductor (officially I'm a conductor trainee at the moment as I haven't passed the final exam yet). Not a bad place to be.

I'll let you know around July if I can get my masters program approved for tuition reimbursement. I can definitely get my MBA for free and I might still, but we'll see about the other.

Anyone got any new questions?

ProudPilot keep going with the story hows it going at BNSF? Just applied for conductor trainee. Is everything still good?

I also would like to hear a status update! I saw several more postings for conductor trainee on BNSF's website, and am still fairly interested in the position.

Thanks!

Wow. Way off topic for JetCareers, but I must say this is a fascinating thread!

Thanks for sharing all the info.

I now added this train conductor/ engineer career path to a list of must try before I die items. So some day years in the future I certainly may add my hat into the railroad fraternity (maybe sooner if flying bankrupts me faster than I think it will...lol).

As far as career changes. Just stay focused. Its stressful, fun, and rewarding. And the best part is you can always go back to where you came from if your new found career idea is not working as planned.

I went from college student/ restaurants worker (4 years) to accountant (2 years) to car sales (1 year) to retail management (1 year) to executive recruiting (9 years) to pilot (2 years and counting).

This railroad stuff is quite fascinating. So now I have Hot Dog Stand Owner (don't laugh at me) and OTR Truck Driver (would love to do just for one or two years) and Train Conductor (would definitely like to experience for a few years also) to my list of careers to try at some point.

Man, I ain't gettin' no younger! Not sure i can accomplish all these career aspirations since I was thinking pilot would be my final destination and executive recruiting will always be my 'fall-back-to' if needed since I kick butt in that industry.

I will try to post here tomorrow morning an update.

Sorry, had to learn all the FRA rules in 3 months while working. Got a little behind changing my life around. However, should get back to weekend flying here in 2 weeks, I've got a Piper 230 lined up.

I've gotta sleep, but I'll get back to you tomorrow. Any of you interview in Grand Forks or Dilworth?

Back