Train Conductor

Well I got my conditional offer. I did find out, average engineer pay works out to around 70-80K a year, and some get above 100K a year. It's boring, but they have tuition reimbursement so I can get my masters online and they pay for it. I figure it will be boring as hell, but right now I'm working my butt off to make below poverty. So, I got myself into debt, I need to work to get myself out. I already tried peddling out to UAS operators, schools, and the air force for my entire life. No one bite the bullet, so now I'm going into trains.

As far as the test and interview, the information is available online and in the links I posted. I can't talk about my process as they asked me not to. I will say this, if you can fly a plane, any plane, less than 60 hp even, fine... You can pass the test and interview. QOL is a lot like the airline, especially when it comes to the "extra board" and reserve.

Oh, and for interviews, always over dress, never under dress. There were people interviewing in hunting hats and dirty t-shirts. 3 of us wore a shirt and tie. I know 2 of us got the job that wore that, and I have no idea who the other guy was, but I'm sure I'll see him come training. 35 people showed up, 10 left immediately, 5 failed the test. 20 left for 12 spots, not bad.

Railroading is a good career, I've been in the industry for almost seven years. I started as a track labor and then bid into a Signaling job. The railroad signaling field is currently growing at a high rate because of new regulations requiring Positive Train Control, also know as collision avoidance systems to be installed on all major railroads. There is an entry level job to hire on as an assistant signalman at most railroads. This job starts at about $17/hr but in a couple years will top about $25 with full benefits. Preferred candidates will understand basic DC electrical theory, be able to read analog and digital meters. Being part of any kind of safety program at a former employer is a big plus for the hiring process. Most railroad signalmen are part of the BRS or other unions.

As another option - seems BNSF, UP and Norfolk Southern are hiring train dispatchers - BNSF starts at $244/day - then to $305/day after 60 solo shifts. Can't remember what UP pays but it is on their website. Basically dispatchers are the ATC side of the railroad.

I have thought about doing this before. Its pretty cool to learn a little about that industry. Had know idea you picked a specific line and stayed with it. That would suck

I did a piece a long while back on trains in ATL, a city built by trains. I was told you basically are ON the schedule unless you take yourself OFF the schedule. You bid a run (ATL to Greenville or ATL to Birmingham for example) and you gain seniority on that route. Change routes and you go to the bottom of that route.
A train is dispatched much like an airplane. You get paperwork telling you what engines you have (they were rated in amps and like airplanes you can pull max amps for 5 minutes like on takeoff and then you have to back off). I was told generally there are 25 cars per engine. You also get a list of what the cars are carrying and the train make-up will dictate some speed limits. "pig trains' (piggy-backs) are generally the fastest and hazmat trains can be restricted. Like NOTAMs you will get a list of the track conditions which vary with season. Heavy rains may undermine the rail bed, heat may weaken the rails, workers may be in the area, etc.

For the engineers there are simulators for events such as runaway trains or problems with the generators. The big diesel engines are only there to power the electric trucks so the electric trains you played with are just a smaller scale of the big ones. And then you have to learn the lay of the land. Take a 100 car train. There is a bit of slack in the couplers and what you want to do is stretch out the train. If you slow to quickly you will compress the train and the impact increases down the line. Likewise, going up a hill you have to stretch out the train and if you do it too quickly, you can 'break a knuckle' and the train separates. The engineer who breaks a knuckle gets to replace it.

Again, this was a while back but if you think pilots are deaf from noisy cockpits, try train engineers and conductors. Good noise canceling equipment is a MUST. Get into the cab of a train and have them blow the horn to get an idea. If you can still see afterwards, good.

The railroads were and I imagine now still very safety conscious and I was told there are 3 rules you NEVER violate. Never speed. The results of going faster than the posted speed can be extremely costly. Booze and drugs are a big no-no and never 'belly off' a train. You always face into the train to come down the ladder.

One of the things the conductor did on the ride I made was to walk the train. He had a steel rod and banged on each wheel to check for soundness. Also as the wheels wear they have a different sound when struck.

I thought it was a good time but the engineer said after a few years of the same route, you get to know every inch of the trip. Funny though.. people still wave at trains. And people still try to beat trains through the crossings. Never a good idea.

This has been on the forum before but still a great video of what wx can do to things. [YT]4eXyjqGC_1o[/YT]
Dude I know that an Engine will hold up well to a car or a bus but that thing barely moved when the whole train came up and hit it!

Well I got my conditional offer. I did find out, average engineer pay works out to around 70-80K a year, and some get above 100K a year. It's boring, but they have tuition reimbursement so I can get my masters online and they pay for it. I figure it will be boring as hell, but right now I'm working my butt off to make below poverty. So, I got myself into debt, I need to work to get myself out. I already tried peddling out to UAS operators, schools, and the air force for my entire life. No one bite the bullet, so now I'm going into trains.

As far as the test and interview, the information is available online and in the links I posted. I can't talk about my process as they asked me not to. I will say this, if you can fly a plane, any plane, less than 60 hp even, fine... You can pass the test and interview. QOL is a lot like the airline, especially when it comes to the "extra board" and reserve.

Oh, and for interviews, always over dress, never under dress. There were people interviewing in hunting hats and dirty t-shirts. 3 of us wore a shirt and tie. I know 2 of us got the job that wore that, and I have no idea who the other guy was, but I'm sure I'll see him come training. 35 people showed up, 10 left immediately, 5 failed the test. 20 left for 12 spots, not bad.
where did you apply for, Dilworth?

I applied to Grand Forks. Just passed my Medical, including the shoulder and knee test. Apparently I have 20/18 in one eye and around 20/20 to 20/30 in the other eye. Still waiting on background checks. I guess a few of my old, old employers didn't keep employee history. Thankfully I saved my W-2's.

I'll be happy to get out of being a full time CFI. I haven't done crap the last 4 days because of weather but I can't do anything as I just keep pushing back an hr at a time. Plus, I get paid crap to do that. RR at least when I'm tied up I get paid for it. I worked 16 hours on Tuesday, got paid for 1.6.

After 9/11 and out of a job I joined AMTRAK and was a conductor for 4 yrs. By far the WORST job i've ever had....leaving to fly right now so i will comment more when i get back from my trip.........good pay, bad schedule and you might not get back into aviation once you join a RR.

I applied to Grand Forks. Just passed my Medical, including the shoulder and knee test. Apparently I have 20/18 in one eye and around 20/20 to 20/30 in the other eye. Still waiting on background checks. I guess a few of my old, old employers didn't keep employee history. Thankfully I saved my W-2's.

I'll be happy to get out of being a full time CFI. I haven't done crap the last 4 days because of weather but I can't do anything as I just keep pushing back an hr at a time. Plus, I get paid crap to do that. RR at least when I'm tied up I get paid for it. I worked 16 hours on Tuesday, got paid for 1.6.

thanks, I applied for Dilworth, but not 100% sure if i want to interview or not (haven't been offered the chance yet anyway)

Interview, the worst you can say is no. Aren't you working here at UND? Why didn't you apply for Grand Forks? They hired everyone that wanted it. Besides, it would be nice to know someone on the rail that flies as well.

Btw, for those saying that you might not be able to come back into aviation, that's a weak assessment. For one, who says I'll want to come back? I love to fly, but with the low pay, poor hours, and lousy benefits... you're right, I might make RR a career. One that will pay enough that I can fly myself to the Caribbean or up to Alaska. Besides, I'll still keep current, and get new endorsements. Neither of which I can do now as a full time CFI. Secondly, I'll get more multi time and experience than what I'm doing now. I already have 1100 dual given, and my hours will build to 1500 while working the RR. If the airline compensation improves, we'll see. I have no problem working long hard hours, so long as I'm compensated. If I'm not being compensated, then I want M-F 8-5.

Just because I'm a CFI doesn't mean that the airlines have to be my only way to get ahead and raise a family. I don't have SJS, no problem flying cargo, but the QOL is just too low with aviation right now. Tried to get into UAS, and that's tough to get into now. So, for the next few years, RR, here I come!

I wish you the best of luck ProudPilot. Most people can't successfully make a dramatic change in their career path so I hope it works out for you.

Interview, the worst you can say is no. Aren't you working here at UND? Why didn't you apply for Grand Forks? They hired everyone that wanted it. Besides, it would be nice to know someone on the rail that flies as well.

no I left Sept 1st for Encore Air Cargo. all my family is in Fargo, so Dilworth is logical for me

Yeah, I regularly work 16 at UND get paid for somewhere between 2 and 5 hrs a day. That's ticking me off. The RR would have longer days too, kinda comes down to pay. Look for a PM tonight. I gotta head out for a 13 hour day today. I'll get paid for 7.

+1

I've seen a few friends of mine decide to leave aviation for a while to go make money elsewhere in another field. Not one of them has come back. They'd love to, but can't. No currency, very few hours. One guy spent his time selling cars instead of building flight time. Sure, he's made decent money, but he's still got 250 hours and no prospects.

Ask yourself before you do this: Do you want to fly airplanes for a living, or drive trains? Once you leave, it's going to be very tough to come back.
+1
Life happened and I left flying just as I was getting started on my CFI, but I thought I would get back into it within the following year.
That was 20 years ago.
I make a decent living now, but I live with the regret of leaving everyday and I'm still trying to find my way back. It's heartbreaking for me.

Re: +1

On my side, I did the CFI thing and wish I didn't. It's no fun avoiding life because you can't afford it. Making money isn't everything, but it's a part of life and determines what the little things are to you. I'd really like to travel, but I can't afford to... ever. My grandmother died and I couldn't afford to go to the funeral or see her in her final days. That's what flying does for you, it becomes your life because you can't afford to pay for the rest. I'm tired of broken cars, old clothes, and a date night once in a few months. I'd rather work my butt off, fly when I want, where I want, and get another degree on the side.

For those of you dreaming of flight, think about how you want to fly. You can't do it all, and being a pilot is a pipe dream for most, we just don't realize it. I still get to CFI on the side as I do this and keep myself current. Only difference is, I can afford my charts.

BTW, Medical passed, working on the last bits of the background. Should hear by the end of next week. Hopefully this week.

Back