Train Conductor

Yeah, that song has popped into my head now and again. Still weird to think about switching, but flying aircraft isn't getting me anywhere.

I officially have the job. Applied sometime around Thanksgiving, got invited for an interview just after Christmas, got the conditional offer a month ago and just got the final offer. I start monday! Wish me luck, very scared of not getting enough sleep, but very excited to have a job with better hours, and not have the stress of not having money. If you're not a CFI, then you probably don't know that feeling of being in an airplane you could NEVER afford to fly yourself, but pretend that you could to students. I enjoy those flight hours... but now I get to afford them too :-D.

Anyone need a standby CFI up here?

The railroad is something that I never considered before, but after reading this thread I am going to start applying for some RR jobs. I've been living below the poverty line for 9 of the 10 years that I have been in aviation, and I am ready for a change.

make sure you read up about the RR. Some companies are crap, the colgan of the rails if you will. BNSF is supposed to be one of the best. There is a TON of hiring going on right now as the 2014 retirements are coming up very soon.

I hear there's a PFJ program in Florida...

Disney-Monorail-Crash.jpg

I officially have the job. Applied sometime around Thanksgiving, got invited for an interview just after Christmas, got the conditional offer a month ago and just got the final offer. I start monday! Wish me luck, very scared of not getting enough sleep, but very excited to have a job with better hours, and not have the stress of not having money. If you're not a CFI, then you probably don't know that feeling of being in an airplane you could NEVER afford to fly yourself, but pretend that you could to students. I enjoy those flight hours... but now I get to afford them too :-D.

Anyone need a standby CFI up here?

Congrats man! Just curious if the interview was in Fort Worth or could you do it up there. When I was furloughed, I was seriously thinking about applying for the railroad, but I never did. I consider myself sort of a railfan and I didn't really want to be a conductor or engineer because I thought I would lose my love for just watching trains. I did however see a posting for a dispatcher at BNSF and I live in Fort Worth now, but I never applied. I also volunteered for Amtrak at the Dallas station and even made some connection through them. I was asked if I wanted to be a ticket agent for the summer, but that would mean moving to Raton, New Mexico, and that didn't appeal too much to me. I did however apply to be a summer only ticket agent in Glacier National Park, but I never heard back from them. I would have loved to move there for a summer. But the whole time I was thinking the same thing...if I go, I'll probably not go back to flying. At least for the airlines. I still think about doing it in the back of my mind, just for something different. I almost wish it were possible to do both. I just don't think I could run the trains but I would love being able to work on the operations side of things.

I do know that being an engineer is a tough job. Flying a plane you have several minutes of real intensity from taxi out to takeoff, then depending on your flight you have a while to just sit a relax. Being an engineer, though, you're constantly on alert and on the lookout. You have to know your route, always looking for things in the way, always nervous that a car or person is going to walk out in the grade crossing. It can be stressful. Not that I really know, but its what I've been told.

More recruiting in Grand Forks going on this week. Canadian Pacific has a few positions in Thief River Falls and some in North Dakota by Valley City.

Cheers

It's been going alright. Around 10-11 hour days in training, so that 150 they make you work for. Although benefits are AMAZING. Not really hard work, just long days out in all weather. Rode a train car today and did a few other things. Very interesting. I'll have to write up a big thing here but it might be another week or two. I'm tired and still trying to take care of all the personal matters in the transition.

BTW, job opening for conductor here again in GFK. There are going to be a LOT of retirements here in the next few years, so upgrades are going to be quick.

https://careers.bnsf.com/sap(bD1lbi...FMDNDNTAzQzU1OTM1RkYxOTg1RjAwMUE2NEMyOTE4Ng==

OK! I got called to the interview in Minot, ND. I had 2 days notice and the weather was awful here in MN.

Hopefully I get called to the one in Grand Forks

Cheers

What are BNSF's main hubs? I may be looking for a job come next spring in Chicago! I guess I could suck it up if hired in Grand Forks, but don't really want to stay here any longer than needed.

What are BNSF's main hubs? I may be looking for a job come next spring in Chicago! I guess I could suck it up if hired in Grand Forks, but don't really want to stay here any longer than needed.

dilworth,mn would better than gfk.

Dilworth, might be closer. I think CSX had an ad for conductor trainee in Chicago area. I put in my application - haven't heard back yet.

You can search the BSNF website for careers - and then find trainee positions by location.

Good luck

CSX is about as low as you can go. Really try for BNSF if you can. We have a guy here that just came from CSX... VERY happy to be gone from CSX.

We had 150+ Applicants (they said around 400, but 150+ were completed), 35 called in for interview, 30 showed up, 24 stayed for the test, 6 failed, 16 selected, 12 primary, 4 alternate. Only 4 made it through the background checks. Make sure you're UP FRONT and HONEST with them. Discrepancies kill ya. Make sure you have the last 7 years accounted for. If you don't have your W-2's from past employers all lined up, line them up.

Overall, I think this will be a very good job. Not terribly demanding, just long hours. Time off kinda stinks the first year, but I can still manage around 5+ days off per month, usually at least 2 a week. More time home than the airlines, although I still dream of corporate (don't we all?).

Ask some questions, I have a ton of stuff now, and I'm too lazy to write it all out. Blip, if you've got a plane around that you rent, let me know. Might be up for splitting a trip here in the near future. I've got some disposable income now!

CSX is about as low as you can go. Really try for BNSF if you can. We have a guy here that just came from CSX... VERY happy to be gone from CSX.

We had 150+ Applicants (they said around 400, but 150+ were completed), 35 called in for interview, 30 showed up, 24 stayed for the test, 6 failed, 16 selected, 12 primary, 4 alternate. Only 4 made it through the background checks. Make sure you're UP FRONT and HONEST with them. Discrepancies kill ya. Make sure you have the last 7 years accounted for. If you don't have your W-2's from past employers all lined up, line them up.

Overall, I think this will be a very good job. Not terribly demanding, just long hours. Time off kinda stinks the first year, but I can still manage around 5+ days off per month, usually at least 2 a week. More time home than the airlines, although I still dream of corporate (don't we all?).

Ask some questions, I have a ton of stuff now, and I'm too lazy to write it all out. Blip, if you've got a plane around that you rent, let me know. Might be up for splitting a trip here in the near future. I've got some disposable income now!

the only plane i liked to rent was the Champ over at CKN, but that is pretty far for me to drive to go flying.

Yeah... no truth there.

The interview was very nice, they did not mess up my hair with the drug screen. The interviewer listened to my answers and adjusted his questioning accordingly. They did not cut anyone off. There was someone in with them for an hour asking questions. Yes, he did get an offer. They said that training pay was $150/day for 5 days a week for 16 weeks (ends up being 6 days a week for 15 weeks). Health benefits start on the 1st of the month the month after you start. So I started 2/13/2011, so my benefits start 3/1/2011. Here is a sampling of the medical benefits:

Railroad Employees National Health and Welfare Plan, NRC/UTU Health and Welfare Plan
Benefits for all crafts except UTU begin on the first day of the calendar month after start of compensated service
UTU Employees Only: Benefits begin the fifth month of tenure. Example: hire date May 4th benefits begin September 1
All crafts have a monthly employee contribution payment once coverage begins
Benefits include:
Medical coverage options for employees and eligible dependents
Mail order prescription drug benefit for employees
Mental health and substance abuse care benefit for employees and eligible dependents
Life Insurance for employees only
Accidental death and dismemberment for employees only
Dental & Vision insurance for employees and eligible dependents after one year
Supplemental sickness benefit plan for shop craft, BMWE and BRS employees starting on the 5th consecutive day of disability with maximum benefit period of 12 months
Eligible dependents
Wife or husband
Children, including natural children, stepchildren, adopted children and grandchildren who have their legal residence with employee and are wholly dependent for maintenance and support, who are:
Unmarried and under age 19
Unmarried and between ages 19 and 25 if: (a) registered full-time student (b) wholly dependent for care and support and (c) have their legal residence with employee
Unmarried and over age 19 who: (a) are wholly dependent for care and support and (b) have permanent physical or mental condition that began prior to age 19 and (c) are unable to engage in any regular employment and (d) have their legal residence with employee

Managed Medical Care Plan (MMCP), where available, for eligible employees and dependents

In-network benefits:

Physician should be an in-network provider for full benefits
No annual deductible
No claim forms
$20 charge per physician office visit, routine physical/preventive care and well child care
$35 charge per office visit for all other providers
$25 per emergency room visit (restrictions apply to non-emergency visits)
100 percent of all covered charges, including inpatient and outpatient hospital, same-day surgery, skilled nursing facility (up to 60 days per calendar year), physician hospital visits, diagnostic tests, surgery anesthesia, hospice care, and home health care
$0 out-of-pocket maximum per year
Unlimited lifetime maximum benefit
“Portability” when temporarily out of service area

Out of network benefits:

Annual deductible of $300 individual, $900 family
75 percent of all covered charges after deductible, including physician office visits, emergency room care, in patient and out patient hospital, same-day surgery, skilled nursing facility (up to 60 days per calendar year), physician hospital visits, diagnostic test, surgery anesthesia, hospice care, and home health care (up to 40 visits per year)
$2000 out-of-pocket maximum per person, $4,000 family, per year (excluding deductible and office or emergency room visits)
$1,000,000 lifetime maximum benefit (excluding deductible and office or emergency room visits)
Routine physical/preventive care and well child care not covered​

http://www.bnsf.com/careers/benefits/scheduled-benefits/

Pretty dang good. They pay 80/20 for shoes (need work boots) all training gear (there is a TON), and we usually got free doughnuts in the morning. Days have been around 9 hours in training, some longer, some shorter. We have on the job training for about 9 out of the 15 weeks. That is paid at the guarantee of an extraboard of something like $198/8 hours, at 75%, so that ends up being 149 something. Hence 150 a day. If you work over 8 hours in training you get overtime, that's time and a half. Paid by the minute I believe. That ends up being 27.90/hr if you work over 8. It's doubtful, but how many companies pay you overtime if you work it in training. That's over 8 hours for any given shift. You don't need to work over 40 first.

For the most part, all work schedules have 3 shifts. 7am start, 3pm start, 11pm start. The road crews are on call and they are all over the place as, quoting "Freight trains never run on time." My trainer has been very nice an understanding, even though we've butted heads on a few things. The terminal here seems really down to earth and hard working. That makes it easier to come into the job as the people training us have really been showing us the ropes instead of expecting us to do their work. Besides, everyone wants to get inside as it's freaking cold outside.

I can expect out of training, that if I mark up everyday (usually get called 3-4 times a week), that I can make at LEAST 2000/pay period. That's around 48K a year. If I hold a conductor spot, that's 3000/pay period, and road is around 3500-4000/period. So possibility of 96K first year after marking up if people leave road spots open and I work my butt off. With around 7-10 days off per month, I can expect around 65K first year out of training. As they will give you work if you're willing.

Medical is 202/mo, always. Doesn't matter on how sick you are, if you're single of have a family of 19 (or whatever that family has). Union dues are 101/month. Both are taken out evenly from paychecks that month.

Overall been a worth wild place to work at. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back