Took me long enough! Finally a Private Pilot!

Yes, I’m going to be finishing all my ratings at Sierra Charlie except for Multi since they don’t have a multi yet. I’ve done two instrument flights so far. Sierra Charlie is at KSDL Scottsdale Airport. We just got 2 new planes and there are two more on the way as well as a SIM. If you want to chat and get more perspective let me know.

Congrats! If I have any advice to give it’s to really learn the IFR system the first time around and continue to poke at that knowledge as you finish your commercial . I whizzed through my IR in three months, it was great until my first 135 job was around the corner and I had to study a little harder than I should have. I data dumped a lot of IFR rules in the year and a half I was flying VFR for my CSEL.

Congrats! If I have any advice to give it’s to really learn the IFR system the first time around and continue to poke at that knowledge as you finish your commercial . I whizzed through my IR in three months, it was great until my first 135 job was around the corner and I had to study a little harder than I should have. I data dumped a lot of IFR rules in the year and a half I was flying VFR for my CSEL.

What IFR rules specifically would you recommend to stay on top of?

What IFR rules specifically would you recommend to stay on top of?

All of them lol

Seriously though,

Maybe pull out approach plates and brief over them, precision and non precision. If your first job is flying round dial vor to vor brush up on the enroute charts. Look at random airports and ODPs, figure out if you’re taking of from xyz on an ODP, what altitude are you able to continue outbound on your route(MEA) prior to radar contact with center. Just little things like that got me a few times as a new professional pilot, but I had captains there to correct me. I just felt like a dummy not remembering some basic IFR 101. Honestly if I would have studied more after my IR I wouldn’t have had as many durp moments in the IFR environment.

Edit: Also take this time to really learn the weather you can encounter in IFR.

Last edited:
Congratulations on sticking with it and accomplishing your goals.

I don’t know if this fits your situation or not but I thought I would share:
One tool that helped me a lot with learning the G1000 and how it works for the IFR environment was to do download the free Garmin G1000 simulator. Aircraft rental rates being quite expensive made the training time in the airplane more precious. With that simulator training and practice accomplished, I could then demonstrate in the airplane what I already knew how to do. Adjustments and additional training in the airplane is then far more manageable and enjoyable.

Congratulations on sticking with it and accomplishing your goals.

One tool that helped me a lot with learning the G1000 and how it works for the IFR environment was to do download the free Garmin G1000 simulator.

Thanks! My school actually has a ground trainer for the G1000. It has the PFD andMFD with bezels and everything. You can basically use it for free. I ended up booking a ground with another student so we split the cost of having an instructor go over everything with us. Way better learning it on the ground than in the air.

Congratulations!!! You're not kidding with the hundred dollar hamburger at Sedona, that place is spendy! Try Payson next time, great food at affordable prices, and a nice camping area if you want to spend the night!
Congrats again, and have fun with the instrument ... like others have said, take it seriously and study hard, there's a lot to learn and it's all important.

Back