Thoughts? Pushback clearance not required, but...

Au Contraire, Mon Frere. I’m a foodie. I enjoy a variety of cultural cuisines. Next your going to tell me that aioli on your sushi and dipping it in soy sauce is okay?

Meh, I'd say pizza is so widely varied, there isn't much authenticity to celebrate in the US. Sushi on the other hand, I don't think it should be as much of a pick up game as it is. I don't eat Americanized "rolls", or really rolls in general. I am undecided on soy sauce. I mostly don't because I think it overpowers the flavor of the fish itself, but I think that is a small concession compared to the aoili/hot sauce/garbage 20 lb fat rolls that folks love to buy and call "sushi"

Meh, I'd say pizza is so widely varied, there isn't much authenticity to celebrate in the US. Sushi on the other hand, I don't think it should be as much of a pick up game as it is. I don't eat Americanized "rolls", or really rolls in general. I am undecided on soy sauce. I mostly don't because I think it overpowers the flavor of the fish itself, but I think that is a small concession compared to the aoili/hot sauce/garbage 20 lb fat rolls that folks love to buy and call "sushi"

I dunno... I ate some absolutely fantastic sushi rolls at a hole in the wall place in Osaka back ally last week.

I guess I don't see why it matters if something is authentic or not. If it tastes good why not eat it.

Come to think of it, if you want authenticity with pizza you should probably accept anchovies, as my understanding is they're used a lot in authentic Italian cuisine. Indeed, there's a certain irony in opposing both anchovies and pineapple in pizza, since the most common argument I hear against pineapple pizza is that it wasn't invented in Italy and is supposedly frowned upon there.

I guess I don't see why it matters if something is authentic or not. If it tastes good why not eat it.

Come to think of it, if you want authenticity with pizza you should probably accept anchovies, as my understanding is they're used a lot in authentic Italian cuisine. Indeed, there's a certain irony in opposing both anchovies and pineapple in pizza, since the most common argument I hear against pineapple pizza is that it wasn't invented in Italy and is supposedly frowned upon there.

I agree that authenticity is somewhat irrelevant. But I hate pineapple on pizza because it’s disgusting. :)

Sorry, I don't mean to hate on all sushi rolls. I do hate on the Americanized versions that have basically as much in common with actual sushi as a side of rice with a hamburger.

Cream cheese, eel sauce, panko-fried, ungh… It's more like drunken Korean gimbap some of these disasters we serve in the US.

Just like language.
I got a BA in History, if it comes up people ask what my favorite history subject is and those two are honestly the most interesting to me, but there’s not many classes related to that at that level. I could go way down a rabbit hole on both.

I love when people get mad about changing food. As if essentially every cuisine doesn’t have roots in some other form of food from another country that either got there through immigration or colonization.

cultural appropriation!! :)

In general, unless there is a sign, notice, or instruction otherwise, flipping to tower after you pass the last point at which ground could give you a different instruction (new taxi route, hold short, give way etc) is mostly expected. Mostly. Except for all the exceptions of course.

That's how I do it.

Er, did it.

Hopefully will do it again.

Back