Thoughts? Pushback clearance not required, but...

I'll see that raise you giving you the frequency to talk on before instructing you on what to say.

Had a guy at USAir do that to me."30.05, Tell them that we're ready for push."

Uh, dude? I've been based here for 3 years. I think I know the ramp tower frequency by now.

sighs “you got it, skipper”

5. Ask for progressive. :)
Actually ORD was pretty tolerant of this corporate guy doing exactly that, as we weren't real familiar with their ops. (We'd be in and out of KMDW and KPWK daily, but KORD was typically only used when we had customers coming in internationally and we'd take them to their final destination.) Following the Inner (or whatever they call it) on the chart doesn't look too bad, but when you're sitting low in a Learjet with acres of tarmac (sic), hundreds of taxi signage, and lots of heavy aluminum/composite movements all around, I'll gladly take the "Rookie" sign around my neck and the extra set of eyes. Didn't care what they were saying under their breath. :cool:

ORD is easy. It's basically the worlds most effed up traffic circle. Don't get hit and approximate the flow of traffic. :)
Three Rules for ORD
1. Don't cross an active runway.
2. Don't hit anything.
3. And for God's sake, whatever you do, DON'T STOP!
Actually ORD was pretty tolerant of this corporate guy doing exactly that, as we weren't real familiar with their ops. (We'd be in and out of KMDW and KPWK daily, but KORD was typically only used when we had customers coming in internationally and we'd take them to their final destination.) Following the Inner (or whatever they call it) on the chart doesn't look too bad, but when you're sitting low in a Learjet with acres of tarmac (sic), hundreds of taxi signage, and lots of heavy aluminum/composite movements all around, I'll gladly take the "Rookie" sign around my neck and the extra set of eyes. Didn't care what they were saying under their breath. :cool:

I've been hearing horror stories about ORD ground ops since day 1 at ATP/CTP. Had an instructor tell us a story about his FO having a complete meltdown because he moved an airplane without a clearance because ORD. And was thanked by ORD for it. Apparently, the rules there are just different.

Depending on which rumot you run with, we'll end up either at ORD or EWR again someday.

Back to flows and prepping for sim 7....

I've been hearing horror stories about ORD ground ops since day 1 at ATP/CTP. Had an instructor tell us a story about his FO having a complete meltdown because he moved an airplane without a clearance because ORD. And was thanked by ORD for it. Apparently, the rules there are just different.

Depending on which rumot you run with, we'll end up either at ORD or EWR again someday.

Back to flows and prepping for sim 7....
I had a reserve FO sent up from IAH once. We called metering and got switched to ground. It was one of those days where the controller was just rattling off instructions to airplanes, one after another. He had his hand up by the PTT and I looked at him and said, "Put your hand down. When it's like this, we don't read back. We just pull out and go." He also asked me about single-engine taxi. I told him, "Uh uh. If we're not ready when we get to the end of the runway, they're going to make us sit in the 10-Pad and think about what we've done."

My absolutely claim to fame was getting from 27L to the F Gates without talking to a soul one night. It was too busy, so I just got in line and kept moving. Last thing I heard was, "Good job, Jetlink. Thanks for not bothering us."

So I used to volunteer flying schoolkids out of TUS in 172s. Super cool program, and I definitely was one of the most rank amateur pilots (heck, one of the volunteers taking postflight pictures was a retired FDX pilot). Possibly the most irritating thing ever was spending what seemed like an eternity sweltering with kids starting to melt down while listening to "airline XXX push from XX" "the ramp is a nonmovement area, push your discretion." Over and over and over. And over and over. Read an airport diagram. Look at airport markings. Don't block a frequency. /rant

Unrelated, I think corporate guys do a better job fitting in at a big airline airport than airline guys do at a nontowered airport (#shotsfired).

Trolling complete and back to my morning coffee...

Unrelated, I think corporate guys do a better job fitting in at a big airline airport than airline guys do at a nontowered airport (#shotsfired).

I like to think of myself as a GA guy who happens to fly airliners, but I know I don’t do enough GA flying anymore.

With that said, you’ll get no argument here. 121 guys, in general, flip out on non-towered airports.

So I used to volunteer flying schoolkids out of TUS in 172s. Super cool program, and I definitely was one of the most rank amateur pilots (heck, one of the volunteers taking postflight pictures was a retired FDX pilot). Possibly the most irritating thing ever was spending what seemed like an eternity sweltering with kids starting to melt down while listening to "airline XXX push from XX" "the ramp is a nonmovement area, push your discretion." Over and over and over. And over and over. Read an airport diagram. Look at airport markings. Don't block a frequency. /rant

All depends. I instructed out of one of the busiest non towered airports, and also operated in a bunch at SkyWest. A lot of civilian guys have similar experience.

The only guys that seem to have an issue with it are prior military that went straight to a major airline, which makes sense as they just don’t have much experience with it.

I had to use self serve Jet-A yesterday. SELF SERVE!

My local mall line for Sbarros this past Sunday…

07BFCBBC-2D5D-4E43-9117-D16D3DC20833.jpeg

Back