There are still great companies out there!!!

Am I misunderstanding the rules, or can the ATP Captain sign off your hours as dual received? If he is taking the time each and every leg to get you learned up on SIC responsibilities and such, I would think that qualifies as training, and while he doesn't have his CFI, I believe you can still log dual received from an ATP?

Am I misunderstanding the rules, or can the ATP Captain sign off your hours as dual received? If he is taking the time each and every leg to get you learned up on SIC responsibilities and such, I would think that qualifies as training, and while he doesn't have his CFI, I believe you can still log dual received from an ATP?

An ATP can conduct training under an approved training program for an aircraft operating under a crew requirement. There might be now, but when I looked into this a few months back, there was NO approved training program for a C510 SIC outside of Part 135 operators approved OPSPEC. As far as part 91 goes, you can get a C510 SIC endorsement but your hours really don't count for anything. Under 135 they count

An ATP can conduct training under an approved training program for an aircraft operating under a crew requirement. There might be now, but when I looked into this a few months back, there was NO approved training program for a C510 SIC outside of Part 135 operators approved OPSPEC. As far as part 91 goes, you can get a C510 SIC endorsement but your hours really don't count for anything. Under 135 they count

Correct. This is also how I understand this. I'll get my SIC endorsement but my hours still will not count for anything. But, the experience is still worth something for interview purposes, just not on paper.

I am still teaching as a CFI on my days off. That keeps me current.

Here is how I decided to handle my C510 experience:
My C510 time goes into my "experience" logbook. This logbook I just purchased to show flights where I can not officially log the time since we fly under Part 91, even though I am an acting crew member. I log the flight date, tail number, total turbojet time, total flight time, approaches (only when I do them), IFR time (only if I was the pilot flying), and landings (only when I do them). This is certainly a good resume builder and good to talk about in an interview, but I do not count this time on any application or in my total time in any way.

Then of course my CFI time or any time where I can log PIC or SIC, that goes into my professional logbook.

Now once we purchase the Beechjet XT or the Citation IV, I'll go to Simcom or Flight Safety to get my SIC and then I will finally be able to log the time in my professional logbook as SIC. I look forward to that day.

Congrats Texas.

It's also nice to hear someone who understands the value of getting paid - kudos to both you and your employer. It sounds like if it works out you'll be in a real nice position, and if it doesn't you'll still be in a real nice position. Well played, sir!

First paycheck in the bank. Long wait as we only get paid on the 1st of the month. Just in time though as I was down to my last dollar since I went two months with no income due to the pay delay.

Had a great first month with flights around the US, Canada, and Mexico. The first couple weeks were busy and I learned a lot. I got preflight duties and post flight duties down and taxiing is now smooth. I am also now fluent with my call outs and communications, although the occasional stutter when I want to tell the controller we are level at 4,000 feet (which puts us 3,000 feet below the surface!) versus at FL400!

And now for how the last couple weeks went, or maybe more appropriately, did not go!

I have not flown since the 17th of February in the Citation. On that last flight we landed in Mexico on the 17th. I was then airlined home since the plane would have been overweight if I came back with the owner and his family that following Tuesday. Then our aircraft went into scheduled maintenance for over a week, so no flying there. The owner ended up taking the Airlines for business during this time.

And now I was suppose to fly this morning to bring the owners family to him (as he airlined himself to Mexico earlier in the week). We would then return on Sunday with the family. I was super excited to finally get back into First Officer mode and refresh all that I learned.

Now the Captain called and gave me the bad news. I won't be going on this trip either. The outbound flight is just fine, but the return trip on Sunday will once again put us overweight if I went along. So I am left behind once again.

So once again I am the unrequired First Officer that is left behind due to weight and seating issues. I hope we get the new aircraft soon so I can be a the required First Officer and our owner can bring along his family and a few of his close friends without us having weight or seating issues.

Back