The next step?

Boots2Wings

Just happy to be here.
Hey folks,
Been a while since Ive posted anything, so pardon me if I appear as a lurker (although I mainly am), but wanted to hop on to look for some advice.

Quick update: While finishing my time as a CFI i decided cargo was what I wanted to be doing. I took a 135 offer to fly 99s and 1900s and have been enjoying it (although the long days can still kick my butt). From the challenge of SP IFR to flying somewhat janky planes by hand in the thick of it, its great. I am convinced that boxes are what I want moving forward even though I know that my job description will certainly change.

So here is my question, and to the best of my ability I have researched it, so I applogize if it comes off as extremely obvious...

Where/How do I go from here?
I purely want to fly cargo.

I wouldnt want an Omni job (although i personally love the carrier for bringing me home twice) if they bounced pilots between freight loads and people, which I understand is the case (Same for Atlas i believe).

I would like to make in the low 100s after a few years with the company, working a reasonable schedule, not after 15-20years.

My ultimate goal is to go from my current gig somewhere I can stay until retirement making a decent check while enjoying a decent QOL.

Of course UPS or FDX are the dream, but Im looking to see what all the options and carriers out there are.

Basically, I need a little direction.
For example as a Student Pilot I knew how to get to the “real jobs”. PP-IR-Comm-cfi and then work to 1500 hours and either go 135 or to the regionals.

Now that ive gotten that job....what are the next steps? What should my long term plan look like?

Thanks for your time

What are your hours? Any type ratings? Any jet time? Those questions will help figure out what the next step could look like. Best of luck! We're here to help.

What are your hours? Any type ratings? Any jet time? Those questions will help figure out what the next step could look like. Best of luck! We're here to help.

Fresh fresh fresh to the turbo prop world. No jet
Going to type for the1900 hopefully June and by then ill have about 1600TT, but like i said. Not planning to jump ship here any time soon.

Trying to create more of a 3-5year plan I guess.

Fresh fresh fresh to the turbo prop world. No jet
Going to type for the1900 hopefully June and by then ill have about 1600TT, but like i said. Not planning to jump ship here any time soon.

Trying to create more of a 3-5year plan I guess.
If I were you, I'd stay where you are for a couple of years, as long as it's a decent company. Then try getting on with an ACMI carrier, or even a regional (I can't believe I'm even saying that) and build jet time. You could go charter but the regionals will build more time, quicker. If you want a resume to stand out, go charter or smaller jet freight, ACMI and then the big boys.

This is all based on current hiring and pay, and ultimate goal of FedEx or UPS. Of course, nothing is guaranteed in aviation, and one man's trash is another's treasure.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress. It's always awesome to hear the success of the up and comers!

If you want a resume to stand out, go charter or smaller jet freight, ACMI and then the big boys.

I plan to stay here for a while.
I probably should clarify that while FDX and UPS would be the ultimate place to me, im reasonable and I would be happy staying somewhere with good QOL And reasonable pay.

Any companies in particular that youd recommend for the next jump?
Or for the ACMI portion. (K4 looks like it could be a good forever home to me haha)

I plan to stay here for a while.
I probably should clarify that while FDX and UPS would be the ultimate place to me, im reasonable and I would be happy staying somewhere with good QOL And reasonable pay.

Any companies in particular that youd recommend for the next jump?
Or for the ACMI portion. (K4 looks like it could be a good forever home to me haha)
I'm happy at the Michigan Rubber Dog Poop company, but it's not for everyone.

Having said that, if I ever get hired by FedEx, Delta, or UPS, I'd be there tomorrow (yes, that order). Until then, I'm enjoying my job and continuing to look and try.

Edit: I didn't take the normal path, so there may be better advice from the "normal progression" people in the future.

I get wanting to fly freight but you’re shutting the door on a lot of really good jobs if one of the big cargo guys never call.

I should also say id be happy to go charter or medevac for the right Just really don't want to fly the lines.

And figured id keep the scope limited to cargo in this thing.

Once the flight deck door is shut, what does it matter what you're flying?

I've done single pilot freight, crewed freight, medevac and now AMCI. I can't tell difference what's in the back other than when we turn the seat belt sign on.

I've done single pilot freight, crewed freight, medevac and now AMCI. I can't tell difference what's in the back other than when we turn the seat belt sign on.
The one difference I can see is the type of flying. You get to see the world, and some cool places.

But you're absolutely right. Once its shut, its all the same.

Id prefer that type of flying, and the non airline environment is a much better fit for family reasons. Not diminishing that side of things at all, just know it’s not best for me.

Id prefer that type of flying, and the non airline environment is a much better fit for family reasons. Not diminishing that side of things at all, just know it’s not best for me.

Just so you know, FedEx and UPS have some crappy schedules too when you’re junior. But I agree it definitely is easy to see the world fairly quickly depending on the airplane/base.

It isn't quite the same. Especially as a CA. Even though the door is closed your customers and crew are still very much in the back which creates a very different set of challenges that do not exist in cargo. I'm not saying cargo is easier. I almost killed myself one night flight cargo. I'm just saying that there certainly are differences that some people may not have the patience for when it comes to pax flying.

Have you looked into Berry at all? I know they have some on demand freight runs and the pay can be really good. I had a buddy upgrade within a year out of an airport by Cleveland and if you don't mind the hours you can make really good money, but it's not for everyone.

Back