The Encore Air Cargo Iron Curtain

Again, I agree with everything you've said, mn. FLX just works a little bit differently, due to the fact (I imagine) that it's very much an "entry-level" place for a certain kind of guy. They do not (or did not, anyway) have the expectation that you would stay for a while (although I myself stayed for quite a while). Now, with that said, as I've said a couple of times, I think that's an extremely unusual arrangement, and I would heartily encourage anyone who wants to maintain their reputation in this very, very small world, to abide by the terms, conditions, and expectations of their employers. I always have, and I've always found that it pays dividends down the road, over and above it being the right thing to do.

Oh sure. I also find that if a company is good to it's pilots it doesn't even need a training contract, or at the very least there's no problem anyways... as they stick around.
I've never seen a training contract at a company I WANT to work for.

If you don't mind me asking, who do you work for Blip? I am VERY close to 135 mins and been doing some serious thinking/research on 135 operators. Thinking AMF is my first choice, but I am open to other ideas.... Thanks, any info is appreciated
Fedex feeder, you need 2000tt

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

There is a training contract at the company you work for lol...
Let me rephrase. At a company that I've looked at and said, WOW look how great that looks. I'd really like to work there someday, probably for a career.

Don't get me wrong FLX is rock solid and Ernst(our DO) is a stand up guy, it's just not long term. Bank work is a dying breed. Wells Fargo is the only bank that's still sending stuff out via airplane, and as soon as they figure out how to email the stuff we're carrying, this run is gone. That makes me nervous.

All things in this thread are duly noted. Thanks

I was referencing the comment 'though leaving early may or may not be a big deal'. All I said was, he needs to figure that out. If it is a big deal to flx, then I wouldn't recommend applying. If it's not, it's not, then go ahead and apply. I have no idea how flx looks at stuff like this, nor apparantly did the poster, but it would be in their best interest to find out prior to applying.

Business is business. Yes, it sure is. And part of our business is finding pilots that will stay a year. It's not profitable for us if they don't. We do have a training contract, but it only includes the cost of training (every person's contract is different based on hours of ground, hours in the airplane, hours in the sim, etc... not a standard 5k or 10k like most companies), not the full salary that goes along with training, nor the IOE time, nor the lost charters with floater pilots covering routes. We'll deal with it if somebody leaves, that's fine, and if they pay back the contract then 'business is business'. But at the same time it's in our best interest, as a business, to pick applicants we think will be dedicated to a year minimum. I suppose you can argue we should increase our training contract. I personally don't advocate increasing any potential costs for pilots though. Or, we can try to find applicants we feel will be dedicated. Does it always work? No. But we try.

I'm not one to normally break contracts even with a long notice, but between this and talking to a few other people, I'm going to wait for another opportunity. I decided I wouldn't be able to deal with the guilt. That's how high I hold FLX. I just wish they had more equipment.

https://landmarkaviationhr.silkroad...version=1&source=ONLINE&jobOwner=992392&aid=1

Looks like we're hiring a 404 Titan driver out of Abeerdeen SD. 135 mins. Good Luck.

I applied for this position and got a call back. I live in California so they are gonna set up a phone interview then possibly an in person interview.
Do you have any suggestions to prepare. I'm wondering what the interview process consists of, technical and HR questions, and any specifics so I can prepare. Thanks

I applied for this position and got a call back. I live in California so they are gonna set up a phone interview then possibly an in person interview.
Do you have any suggestions to prepare. I'm wondering what the interview process consists of, technical and HR questions, and any specifics so I can prepare. Thanks

I have nothing to add, but good luck! Looks like an absolutely rock solid company to work for!

If you're not willing to spend the next couple years at a minimum in the Dakotas don't waste their/your mutual time. They're not looking to hire a Titan driver, they're looking for a future metro driver. There is a phone get to know you interview, then a HR/tech in person interview followed by a flight in a 402. Good luck.

You've really gotta ask yourself if you're going to be happy living in South Dakota? Are you going to be happy living in a town of less than 20k that doesn't even have an Applebee's? Personally, I much prefer it, but most people can't handle it. The Dakotas are great for the right type of person... the person that hunts, likes fishing, doesn't mind drinking a few cans of Busch Light with the neighbor while watching a NASCAR race or Twins game, and going to a movie in a 5 screen theatre (non of that stadium seating stuff) is as close to 'culture' as you're going to get... or at minimum you want that type of lifestyle. It's a great way of life, one that I love, but if you're not prepared it's a massive culture shock well beyond the realms of most people. I grew up with this type of lifestyle and love it, but it's not for everybody (I've tried big cities, hell I've even lived overseas... but my ideal day is either riding a horse or doing field work and my ideal evening is sitting in the country listening to the wind blowing through the cornstocks (with a cooler of Budweiser cans) while staring at the stars. Bottom line: it's cowboy/hick/redneck up here.

As Jhugz said, they're not looking for a short term 404 driver who moves away after a year, they're looking for a person who's going to stick it out for 2-3 years getting the combo of 404 time and metro time. As a career builder, if you want the TPIC, you'll likely have the opportunity to upgrade quickly and with good pay, and it will be a nice resume builder... but if you can't handle the lifestyle (give it serious thought), you'll be much better off declining the interview.

You've really gotta ask yourself if you're going to be happy living in South Dakota? Are you going to be happy living in a town of less than 20k that doesn't even have an Applebee's? Personally, I much prefer it, but most people can't handle it. The Dakotas are great for the right type of person... the person that hunts, likes fishing, doesn't mind drinking a few cans of Busch Light with the neighbor while watching a NASCAR race or Twins game, and going to a movie in a 5 screen theatre (non of that stadium seating stuff) is as close to 'culture' as you're going to get... or at minimum you want that type of lifestyle. It's a great way of life, one that I love, but if you're not prepared it's a massive culture shock well beyond the realms of most people. I grew up with this type of lifestyle and love it, but it's not for everybody (I've tried big cities, hell I've even lived overseas... but my ideal day is either riding a horse or doing field work and my ideal evening is sitting in the country listening to the wind blowing through the cornstocks (with a cooler of Budweiser cans) while staring at the stars. Bottom line: it's cowboy/hick/redneck up here.

As Jhugz said, they're not looking for a short term 404 driver who moves away after a year, they're looking for a person who's going to stick it out for 2-3 years getting the combo of 404 time and metro time. As a career builder, if you want the TPIC, you'll likely have the opportunity to upgrade quickly and with good pay, and it will be a nice resume builder... but if you can't handle the lifestyle (give it serious thought), you'll be much better off declining the interview.

I grew up in South Dakota in a much smaller town than Aberdeen so I definitely know what I'm getting into. I've lived in California for 4 years and just looking to come back to South Dakota where my family is. If I got the job with Landmark I would be looking to stay long term.

I grew up in South Dakota in a much smaller town than Aberdeen so I definitely know what I'm getting into. I've lived in California for 4 years and just looking to come back to South Dakota where my family is. If I got the job with Landmark I would be looking to stay long term.

Awesome. You'll fit in great then. Good luck

So, someone said my co-workers were hanging out here... I can pick all of you out just from this thread =P

It's an iron curtain because of the low turnover, they run their business that way. Managment would rather pay us to stick around then pay for training classes every six months. Plus managment DOES the training, so their free time is at risk. It's great company culture, like gomntwins said, I would be happy to hit the bars up on the weekend with everyone that I work with, although outstation living makes that difficult. Managment is in the trenches with their pilots, flying as needed to make the operation work. If you are from the dakotas/ia/mn area, you can bet you'll be on top of the resume stack. Except for jhugz, he's pure gangster turned cowboy and will back stab any one of us if he had the chance, oh wait....why is my back bleeding?

So, someone said my co-workers were hanging out here... I can pick all of you out just from this thread =P

It's an iron curtain because of the low turnover, they run their business that way. Managment would rather pay us to stick around then pay for training classes every six months. Plus managment DOES the training, so their free time is at risk. It's great company culture, like gomntwins said, I would be happy to hit the bars up on the weekend with everyone that I work with, although outstation living makes that difficult. Managment is in the trenches with their pilots, flying as needed to make the operation work. If you are from the dakotas/ia/mn area, you can bet you'll be on top of the resume stack. Except for jhugz, he's pure gangster turned cowboy and will back stab any one of us if he had the chance, oh wait....why is my back bleeding?

Thug life!

Can somebody tell me what a typical day at Encore Cargo is like? (Schedule, pre-flight activities, loading/unloading, layover, etc) I'm a CFII at a flight school in Northwest Iowa and approaching the 135 mins. I'd love the opportunity to work out of Sioux Falls someday, and I've been told from several pilots that this was one of the best jobs they ever had in terms of experience. Thanks in advance!

Can somebody tell me what a typical day at Encore Cargo is like? (Schedule, pre-flight activities, loading/unloading, layover, etc) I'm a CFII at a flight school in Northwest Iowa and approaching the 135 mins. I'd love the opportunity to work out of Sioux Falls someday, and I've been told from several pilots that this was one of the best jobs they ever had in terms of experience. Thanks in advance!

95% of our positions are now metro positions. The 2 piston only positions we've had open recently have been filled so unless we get new piston routes, i would assume it would be roughly a 6 month wait to get on. One of the piston routes is FSD based and you spend the day in Nebraska. The other is Aberdeen based and you'd spend the day at home and the night in FSD in a sleep room. You work roughly 3 hours in the morning, fly somewhere and spend the day (either at home or at a crew apartment), then fly back at night (roughly 2.5 hours of work). Both of those routes start Monday night and end Saturday morning (with roughly 60 hours off for your weekend). The primary responsibility is showing up on time (you'd think this would be easy, but a lot of people struggle with it)... then you help load a bit of freight (500-1000lbs roughly), fly somewhere, then fly back. It's extremely easy work and is the same as any other UPS work (Ameriflight, Freight Runners, Martinaire, Key Lime, etc. all run the same schedules). Our company also does auto parts on demand in Texas which is metro only. The worklaod there is different and requires a lot more time on call (plus you have to live in Texas... blah). We have 1 route out of the Twin Cities, but again it's a Metroliner route.

It is a great experience, and if you love living in the area it's hard to leave a job like this. The pay is better than average and the mangement is really good. The pilot group is good and the experience is like noneother. Where are you at in Iowa? send me a PM if you'd like.

ILCC?

Back