The Encore Air Cargo Iron Curtain

Well I loaded the B1900 for them for two years in college so if thats what you were referring to I don't mind...
7 days a week? Those guys fly everyday but one 24hr period that they spend away from home. No thanks for the GFK run. The FSD run wouldn't be bad, and I wouldn't mind going out to Billings as long as it wasn't UPS, but yeah. They're a good outfit, but GFK ptobably wouldn't be for me.

I have a hard time liking the idea of some of the UPS 6 day runs. Monday PM to Sat AM. 7 days would just suck unless they had some kind of rotating schedule.

I have a hard time liking the idea of some of the UPS 6 day runs. Monday PM to Sat AM. 7 days would just suck unless they had some kind of rotating schedule.

It's all personal preference. Personally, I like the 6 day schedule, but the only way to truly enjoy it is to live at your outstation. That's what I do. Do I like working 6 days a week? Eh, it's not ideal... but I'd happily take that and spend every day, all day, at home vs. a typical Monday-Friday schedule and sit in a crew apartment or hotel in some other town. One of the things I've really grown to enjoy over the years is the Saturday morning flight though. UPS is a lot more laid back and the pilots are in a good mood which makes it a lot more fun. On Saturdays we usually sit in our crew van prior to the freight showing up and start playing the worst songs on our MP3 players for everybody or spend the time making fun of somebody's stupidity, always fun. Personally, I really don't have a great need to go out on both Friday nights and Saturday nights, so being in bed at a suitable time Friday doesn't hurt me any. I like the option of drinking a few beers while watching Sunday night football as well, knowing I can sleep in and not worry about anything until Monday night. As I said though, it's all personal preference. One thing I've learned over the years though: for me, any schedule is better than no schedule. I like being able to plan ahead and enjoy my hours off vs. being tied to a phone all day every day.

One thing I've learned over the years though: for me, any schedule is better than no schedule. I like being able to plan ahead and enjoy my hours off vs. being tied to a phone all day every day.
This is very true.

Personally. I was spoiled for a month with a UPS run that did Mon PM to Fri AM. Other than the lack of flight time, talk about a great run.

Parrot's Cay = AWESOME. Crawdads, great, wings, great, beers, great, cajun pasta, great, for a dive bar. Highly recommend it! I wish I could get one of my GFK trips to be an overnight. Maybe one of these days.

I've met Hugz and talked to him personally and I would have to agree that if the Dakota's are your thing, this is the company for you from a cargo operator stand point. Always hear good things about Landmark. I almost interviewed last year for a 402 route but the route became no longer available so they didn't need a new pilot. Alls well that ends well though so no regrets, other than I wish I could have still interviewed.

From what I've heard, Encore is pretty similar to Subair (who I worked for for a while). I can at least attest that at Subair the management was great and the pay was a LOT better than I would have gotten at a larger carrier for the same equipment. Similarly, you don't hear much about Subair, and I suspect they're just fine with that. Now, Subair DID get "Ameriflighted", but they're still out there very quietly being a good place to work. Hope the same holds true for Encore.

From what I heard, Ameriflight just about took over absolutely everything but someone dropped the ball. Scary! Isn't freight supposed to be the stable side of aviation?o_O

We almost had the runs out of Sioux Falls, but due to a contract issue with another operator for sharing the expenses of a heated MX hangar, the operator pulled out of the agreement, we couldn't commit to the runs and pay for an entire hangar. That's why we pulled out of the Dakota's.

We almost had the runs out of Sioux Falls, but due to a contract issue with another operator for sharing the expenses of a heated MX hangar, the operator pulled out of the agreement, we couldn't commit to the runs and pay for an entire hangar. That's why we pulled out of the Dakota's.
Ya, you can't rent a hangar from landmark and try to compete with encore. lol.

Take the GFK from Alpine?! Pretty sure we pay better anyways... The GFK route is the only USPS run that goes 6 nights a week. Everyone else works 5, every holiday off, and the USPS runs are there and back. No out station waiting. Yep, I'd say a terrible QOL. But, good info Hugz

Never said anything about taking the run from Alpine, I was talking about jumping ship, which I won't do. The GFKM route is a terrible QoL, but I know a lot of routes are sweet like the RAP one. Chillax a tad.

Not a stupid question. Pretty much having to work six nights a week and your only day off being at the outstation makes that run "hard"

Most have at least 48 hours off. Some more than that. The actual flying isn't hard but it is very fatiguing.

Back