The Coast Guard and me...at 25.

I just talked to the recruiter over the phone. Jeannine and I are not married and never planned on getting married (its a long story). This disqualifies me because they would consider me a single parent. :(

I just talked to the recruiter over the phone. Jeannine and I are not married and never planned on getting married (its a long story). This disqualifies me because they would consider me a single parent. :(

so tell her the situation and for you to marry each other so you can do this.

nobody has to know ya know. just keep it ur own little secret for you to do this.

I kind of mentioned it to her and her first response was "if we get married, I want a ten page prenup!:nana2::nana2::nana2:" We are going to discuss it further, in the meantime I set up the appointment with the recruiter for August 5th.

I kind of mentioned it to her and her first response was "if we get married, I want a ten page prenup!:nana2::nana2::nana2:" We are going to discuss it further, in the meantime I set up the appointment with the recruiter for August 5th.

well that works. and when its all said and done, u guys get ur divorce and get back to what it is now :)

I've never heard of such a thing. So if you're divorced and have a kid, the military won't take you? I suggest you talk to a different recruiter. Sometimes if the military has a high rentention rate, which they certainly do now, and they are not in need of warm bodies, they get picky.

I don't think thats the case with the other branches, but a few buddies I have that are active duty in the CG have said that many reserves are trying to get on active duty and those who are nearing the end of their tour are reenlisting based on the economy. Which I don't blame them. Its the best place you could be right now.

I've never heard of such a thing. So if you're divorced and have a kid, the military won't take you?

Can't speak for the CG, but quite legit for the Army.

The Army requires an executable Family Care Plan for single parents where someone signs an affidavit swearing they'll take care of the child for field training and deployments.

I've only dealt with existing single parents, not recruiting, so I'm unsure if even the Army will accept them. It's a huge risk for the military though - I discharged 6 single parents who couldn't get a workable FCP together. That's a lot of training money wasted. If you can't deploy, what good are you to the military?

Back