The Best Aviation Movie!

chris

If there was an award for the "Best" aviation movie, I would vote for "Hot Shots" featuring Charlie Sheen. I just saw that movie again the other day, and will have to watch it a few more times before I return it. It was FAR better than Top Gun. Apart from Robin Hood: Men In Tights, I think I would say it is one of my favourite flicks!

So, which movie would you vote for?

How can you start a 'Best Aviation Movie' thread by dissing Top Gun????? That's one of my all time favorites.

Anyone seen 'The Right Stuff'? That one looks good... is it worth the $1 plunge to rent?

The best movie for me was (I think the name is)'Apollo 13'. I can't remember the name exactly, but it's got Tom Hanks as an astronaut.

I'm a big fan of Top Gun, Apollo 13, The Right Stuff, Flight of the Intruder, Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen, Airplane!, and Hot Shots. There are also a ton of classic black & white movies I can't remember the names of.

Its most definately "Airplane". My favorite line in it "eh...can you get me the vector victor".
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of Top Gun, Apollo 13, The Right Stuff, Flight of the Intruder, Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen, Airplane!, and Hot Shots. There are also a ton of classic black & white movies I can't remember the names of.

[/ QUOTE ] your first 3 are my favorites.

Anyone ever seen Cloud Dancer? Its not all that new, and the story line is kind of cheesy, but its about an airshow pilot, and has lots of great aerobatic scenes in it.

Hi all,

My personal aviation movie picks:

Best Tearjerker: Always (Holly Hunter and Richard Dryfus)
Best Military: 12 O'clock High (Gregory Peck)
Best Airline: Airport (the original, Dean Martin, Jackie Bisset and Burt Lancaster)

Ok, before I gather a raft of poo for that last one, let me go on record that the other Airport movies (75, 77 and 79) were %100 USDA Grade AAA Cheese. However, the first (from the novel) one is actually a fairly accurate representation of flying in the 60's, and for that, its pretty interesting.

Best,
Richman

Hmmm...cant' decide...but here's a list to choose from

1. 12 O’clock High
2. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
3. A Fighter Pilot’s Story (WWII, on PBS)
4. Air America
5. Air Force One
6. Air Patrol
7. Airplane
8. Airport
9. Airwolf
10. Always
11. Apollo 13
12. Baa Baa Black Sheep
13. Battle of Britain
14. Blue Max
15. Bridges at Toko-Ri
16. Capricorn One
17. Con Air
18. Dawn Patrol
19. Die Hard 2
20. Executive Decision
21. Flight of the Intruder
22. Flying Leathernecks
23. Forever Young
24. Forever Young (maybe)
25. God Is My Co-Pilot
26. Hot Shots
27. Independence Day
28. Iron Eagle
29. Last Emperor (maybe)
30. McHale’s Navy Joins the Air Force (chuckle)
31. Memphis Belle
32. Mosquito Squadron
33. Pearl Harbor
34. President’s Plane is Missing (TV)
35. Right Stuff
36. Sky King
37. Spirit of St. Louis
38. Strategic Air Command
39. Top Gun
40. Tora Tora Tora
41. Tuskegee Airmen
42. Twilight Zone (Nightmare at 20,000 Feet)
43. Wing & A Prayer
44. Wings (1927)

Comprehensive Movie Listing

Imagine what they could do with the Twilight Zone episode with all of the special effects we have today!

Enjoy,

JR

Skyguyed, the right stuff is definately worth a dollar.
Excellent movie without much non-sense.
Ties for #1 with top gun.

I could never get tired of watching " Top Gun" !!
smile.gif

Especially in the "5.1 Home Theater" mode.

Dan

I'd have to say my recent favorite is "Dark Blue World". Kind of a sleeper, but excellent scenes of Spitfires dogfighting with Me109s, shooting down He111s and the like. Check it out.

Humor: Airplane
Drama: Always
Action: Any Star Wars movie! (come on, space IS aviation!)

Worst Movie: The Right Stuff (The Gemini guys HATED that movie)
Chick Flick disguised as Action Movie: Top Gun (but good flying scenes!)
Least Technically Accurate: Executive Decision, Air Force One (tie)

[ QUOTE ]
Least Technically Accurate: Executive Decision

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that, because just recently a professor at ERAU was telling me how he taped the opening part (where kurt russel is landing the cessna) to teach students about landing. But I guess you're refering to the part where kurt lands the 747.

[ QUOTE ]
Its most definately "Airplane". My favorite line in it "eh...can you get me the vector victor".
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent choice "can you give me the vector victor"
"roger, roger"

Back