The Best Aviation Movie!

Agree///////// Great Waldo Pepper one of the best

Faith is the hunter
Blue Max
Right Staff [read the book instead]

I like the new one with the FA - From the Top or something like that.

You put the wrong em-PHASIS on the wrong SYL-abal

[ QUOTE ]
I like the new one with the FA - From the Top or something like that.

You put the wrong em-PHASIS on the wrong SYL-abal

[/ QUOTE ]

That movie is "View From the Top" and it was good. Mike Meyers is hillarious in it too, great movie quote Iain.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of Top Gun, Apollo 13, The Right Stuff, Flight of the Intruder, Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen, Airplane!, and Hot Shots. There are also a ton of classic black & white movies I can't remember the names of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur!

[ QUOTE ]

Also, that whole transfer by wire thing was a little iffy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats Air Force One you are talkin bout there!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How could we forget this one?!

The Final Countdown

Enjoy,

JR

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it! I saw this movie as a kid and that's what hooked (no pun intended!) me on being a pilot- especially a naval aviator. Too bad I never could!

Iron Eagle part -1
Top Gun

wore out those video tapes/soundtracks when I was growing up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gotta love Doug Masters racing the dirtbike in his Cessna while jammin to the tunes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Iron Eagle part -1
Top Gun

wore out those video tapes/soundtracks when I was growing up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gotta love Doug Masters racing the dirtbike in his Cessna while jammin to the tunes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have worn out my copy of Iron Eagle as well!
"Doug don't be a fool man land the plane!"

[ QUOTE ]
I like Octboer Sky also. Has anyone seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That one's pretty good. Not sure if I would put it on my "aviation" shelf, though.

I can't believe all of those posts and only a little snipit goes to "The High and The Mighty"?! That was an awesome movie. There are excellent shots of the DC-4. Very, very technically accurate. Captain Gann supervised all of the filming. Plus you can't go wrong with Robert Stack and John Wayne. Every once in a while, you'll find a bootleg copy of it on E-Bay. That's where I got mine.

They are very rare. John Wayne's Estate had taken out of production for some legal issues.

I believe a lot of CRM courses use a certain scene in this movie.

That gets my vote for best aviation movie. If you can find a copy, check it out. It's awesome.

Plus, you should also check out the movie that my avatar is based off of. Skyjacked, starring Charleton Heston and James Brolin. Pretty accurate. Some great air to air footage using a real 707 (from World Airways), plus it has a good plot line. I highly recommend it.

[ QUOTE ]
I like Octboer Sky also. Has anyone seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The cool thing about "October Sky" is: it's an anagram for "Rocket Boys" the name of the book. Pretty cool, eh?

I heard they're doing a remake of Flight of the Phoenix -- hard to think they could improve on the original.

Airplane - who can forget Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the FO, and unable to hear because of his headset.

Tower : Flight 2-0-9er, you're cleared for take off.
Capt. Oever : Roger!
Murdock : Huh?
Tower : L.A. departure frequency 1-2-3 point 9er.
Capt. Oever : Roger!
: Re-quest Vector, over!
Capt. Oever : What?
Tower : 2-0-9er clear for vector 2-3-4.
Murdock : We have clearance Clarence.
Capt. Oever : Roger, Roger. What's our Vector Victor?
Tower : Tower's radio clearance, over!
Capt. Oever : That's Clarence Oever! Oever.
Tower : Roger.
Tower : Roger, over.
Capt. Oever : Huh?

BTW, all you Airplane fans, you can find the entire script at:
http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rkogan/humor/airplane.html

Speaking of movies, there is a new movie coming out called "The Aviator" directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Leonardo DiCaprio (how does that guy get all the good roles???)

Anyway, Its based on the life of Howard Hughes, I saw the preview - it looked pretty good.... here's the link.

http://www.theaviatormovie.com/

I gotta say I'm sorry, but Top Gun was the bomb in 7th grade, but it really sucks viewing it now.

Gotta go with "Airplane" for comedy. "They can't be lost, they're flying on instruments! [cut to crew playing dixieland brass]"

"The Great Santini," for drama. And yes, the book is even better than the movie.

That's a great list. Must add "The High and the Mighty". Dan Roman (John Wayne's character) the number one tragic aviation character of all time.

"Strategic Air Command" is great, if only for the fantastic inflight scenes, actually shot by SAC because this was really a recruitment film done by true life aviator Jimmy Stewart.

"Always" is a favorite.

"Cliffhanger" is good for some real inflight stunts involving a Jetstar and DC-9.

"No Highway in the Sky" loosely based on the Comet accidents with Jimmy Stewart as the engineer that "cracks" the cause.

Back