Memphis Belle
Bat 21
The Right Stuff
Forever Young (parts of it)
Tuskegee Airmen
Airplane
Fandango (parts of it)

Hello Kristi,

Thanks! What seems to be lacking are movies about helicopters. You'd think there'd be a good movie about a helicopter unit in Vietnam. They've done flicks about fighter jocks, soldiers, radio DJ's, news reporters, etc. but nothing that I can recall has ever been about the slick drivers!

Regardless, I've recompiled the list after seeing what everyone else has had to say:

Aviation Movie List

JR

AIRPLANE! Hands down.
And by the way, you guys can't just go around misquoting Airplane! not in this industry! I approve of your enthusiasm, but accuracy counts.

"My favorite line in it "eh...can you get me the vector victor".
"Excellent choice "can you give me the vector victor"
"roger, roger"

NO, NO, NO! The line goes like this:
"We have clearance, Clarence.", "Roger, roger. What's our vector Victor?"

Does no one remember "The Rocketeer?"

grin.gif

For bonus points, what were they doing in the cockpit before the whole "we have clearance, Clarence" exchange?

1. Apollo 13 (they didn't dumb down the lingo too much, as in most aviation movies)

2. Airplane! ("Oh stewardess, I speak jive.")

3. Always (Warm, fuzzy, cute airplane movie)

Don't forget Firebirds with Tommy Lee Jones and Nicholas Cage. I think that is the only true helo movie out there besides Blue Thunder. A cheesy one but it is still decent.

[ QUOTE ]
For bonus points, what were they doing in the cockpit before the whole "we have clearance, Clarence" exchange?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe they were discussing the WX at numerous places completely unrelated to their route of flight.

Best exchange was the one between Leslie Nielsen and Peter Graves. They did the whole inane exchange while looking each other in the eye and maintaining serious expressions! I'd never be able to do that.

Dr. Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?
Captain Oveur: I can't tell.
Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.
Captain Oveur: No. I mean I'm just not sure.
Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?
Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.
Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?

Leslie Nielsen was great in Airplane. I do not know how he managed to keep a straight face with some of the lines he had to deliver.

"Surely you can't be serious."

"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."

Or how about the "a hospital? What is it?"

"It's a big white building with lots of patients. But that's not important right now."

Has anyone seen this movie called "Frequent Flyer." At least, I think that is the title. It stars Nicolle Eggert from Baywatch and is based on the true story of an airline pilot who had three simultaneous wives in Hawaii, Texas, and Chicago. (My hero
grin.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget Firebirds with Tommy Lee Jones and Nicholas Cage. I think that is the only true helo movie out there besides Blue Thunder. A cheesy one but it is still decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost forgot about Birds of Prey. It's an old cheesey 70s movie about (I think) a bounty hunter in a helicopter. For some reason, Blue Thunder reminded me.

Not a fan of Top Gun: I'm not interested enough in modern fighter jets to overlook all the ridiculous lines and annoying characters, or is it the ridiculous characters and annoying lines...

However, I am definitely interested enough in 747's to overlook the dated 70's sensibilities and general cheesiness of Airport '75. I challenge anyone to find better footage of a 747 in any movie. The sight of that thing moving through the mountains around Salt Lake City alone is worth the rental. If that scene were shot today, it would probably be a crappy mishmash of models and computer graphics, like Airforce One. By the way, I think I am the only person in North America who owns Airport '75 on DVD.

Special mention goes out to The High and the Mighty with John Wayne. I seem to like disaster movies, and it's also about the kind of flying between Hawaii and California done by my man Ernest K. Gann, who wrote the book upon which the movie was based.

This may not really count, but I love that PBS documentary on airforce one.

Talking about Airport '75.

As the USAF brings the new Raytheon T-6A Texan II into service as it's primary pilot trainer aircraft; the venerable Cessna T-37B Tweet jet trainers are slowly going away. T-37B s/n 67-14762 is one of these very soon-to-be-retired Tweets.

'762' served for many years with the 82nd Flying Training Wing/96th Flying Training Squadron at the former Williams AFB (now Williams Gateway Airport) Arizona. In 1974, '762' participated in the filming of the movie "Airport 1975. In the movie, '762' is the USAF "chase plane" that initially intercepts the striken 747 airliner to assess the damage following the mid-air collision with the Beech Baron.

Following the closure of Williams AFB in September 1993, '762' was transferred to the 47th Flying Training Wing/85th Flying Training Squadron at Laughlin AFB, Texas.

Yours truly has 18.6 hours logged in 67-14762, and I know I will miss this old bird when it very soon gets sent to out to pasture. This is the jet I took my last T-37 flight in, and at that time (long time ago), it had about 32,000+ hours in it's logbook.

It also had a faded plaque affixed in the cockpit denoting it as the "Hollywood Tweet" and a brief description of it's movie career.

Wow! Very cool info, MikeD, thanks. The footage of that trainer, along with the 747 and the rescue helicopter, is pretty spectacular.

Well, now when I sit down to watch Airport '75 with my friends I can tell them your story. Wait, none of them will watch it with me...
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! Very cool info, MikeD, thanks. The footage of that trainer, along with the 747 and the rescue helicopter, is pretty spectacular.

Well, now when I sit down to watch Airport '75 with my friends I can tell them your story. Wait, none of them will watch it with me...
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, that would've been cool to be one of the IPs in the 96th at Willie when the USAF tagged them with the movie assignment. Wonder how they selected who got to do it? Draw straws?

Also in the movie, at the end when Charleton Heston lands the stricken 747, there's a scene where George Kennedy is seen hanging on to the Airport Crash Truck that's speeding down the runway chasing the 747, and he exclaims "he can't stop her" referring to Heston. Now, why Kennedy couldn't just ride in the cab of the crash truck is beyond me.

Also, did you notice Erik Estrada as the FE? Guess he quit the airlines prior to joining CHP
smirk.gif

Additionally, did you notice that in the film, the Beech Baron is referred to by ATC as "Baron 232Z" even though it's N-number is N9750Y.

More:

**An interesting fact about Charlton Heston in this movie. He was sent to the American Airlines Simulator in Fort Worth, TX, to practice in the 747, then he really flew the jumbo for an hour and a half.

**N9675, a Boeing 747-123 (msn/ln 20390/136), delivered on May 7, 1971, was operated at the time by American Airlines and later became an all-freight plane. It temporarily had the registry OD-AGM for a lease. When American Airlines disposed of its 747 fleet, it was sold to UPS which now flies it as N675UP.

My favorite, in no particular order...

1) The Battle of Britain
2) The Blue Max
3) Apollo 13
4) Top Gun
5) Air America
6) The Tuskegee Airmen
7) Tora Tora Tora

Im suprised no one has mentioned Pearl Harbor yet
grin.gif

Back