The Best Aviation Movie!

Ok, Here is my list (like anyone reads it!)

#1: Airplane
#2: Memphis Belle
#3: Forever Young

DeltaASA16

To many to list. Most of the time if its an aviation movie its good. My wife would disagree but we arent asking her.

The flying in Executive decision wasn't that bad, it was the sudden 90 degree taxi turn and the ground antics of a 747 in Ramstein AFB that made me stand up in the theatre and shout "no way!"

Also, that whole transfer by wire thing was a little iffy.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever seen Cloud Dancer? Its not all that new, and the story line is kind of cheesy, but its about an airshow pilot, and has lots of great aerobatic scenes in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was filmed at SDL, FFZ and DVT; remember the airshow scenes as a kid watching the filming going on. Also remember the Lockheed Connies and B-17s that were at FFZ where the one guy (Walt Tubbs) crashes during his inverted flat spin. Film dedicated to the memory of the real Tubb that died during the same stunt in the mid-70s (a few years prior to the fliming)

Great war movie was "The War Lover" with Steve Mcqueen as a WWII B-17 pilot that slowly goes insane.......

I work at SMO(Santa Monica Airport) and they are filming a new movie with Val Kilmer. I hope it is really an aviation film and they aren't just shooting one particular scene there.

TOP GUN is by far one of the best, as is flight of the intruder. I also like some of those made for TV movies about air crashes. One of the better ones was called "Rain and Fire" or something like that, it was about the Delta L-10-11 crash at DFW in the 80's, and then also the ABC movie about the United DC-10 crash at Souix City, IA. I always tend to like movies based on true life.

Iron Eagle & Top Gun?!?!

There are possibly the two biggest loads of dung to hit the theaters or video. How can you even rate them in the same category as a film like The Right Stuff? Next thing will be rating Red Dawn as the best documentary film (sorry stole that from vice city).

1. Serious Category = Right Stuff
2. Comedy = Airplane (I guess you could enter Top Gun or Iron Eagle here, but that is not what the makers intended)
3. Random = Dr. Strange Love (the B52 scenes are pretty fun)

The Aviator (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0088758) is absolutely fantastic!!! I love the movie, and it kind of makes you think about the days when pilots really put it all on the line on a daily basis!!!!

Top Gun (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0092099) is probably my number one choice....no matter how unrealistic it is (the starting scene, which begins early in the morning, comes to mind. Why is it that by the end of the sequence, they land in the dark??? Makes you wonder....). And you've gotta love those MIGs....

Top gun (how original.........) and Memphis Belle tied.
Air Force One (always wondered if true all that tech...) second ..

I liked Air America!

No one mentioned BAT 21 or The Great Santini

I thought they would have made the top ten

[ QUOTE ]
If there was an award for the "Best" aviation movie

[/ QUOTE ] While it's not my favorite aviation movie, "Top Gun" is the "Best" as far as featuring aircraft & excellent cinematography. Plus, you can't dismiss the fact that the movie has some great lines!

My favorite is "Always", but it's more or less by default, as it is the only airtanker movie (that I am aware of).

BTW, someone asked if "The Right Stuff" is any good. For pure entertainment value, sure. But save yourself the buck to rent the flick & head down to the library & check out the book for free. It is an old saying that "the book was better than the movie..." & in this case it is true. The book is non-fiction; while the movie is based loosely on the book, it is quite fictional.

'canfly

[ QUOTE ]
No one mentioned BAT 21 or The Great Santini

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah...I completely forgot about BAT 21...if its the one I'm thinking of, that was a pretty good movie. Its the Vietnam War one where they fly the military verision of the Skymaster, right?

Thanks for the list MarineNav!! good collection of movies you've got there!

but I've gotta go with the true historical type movies like Tuskegee Airmen and Memphis Belle... when you think that they created these aviation movies based on true stories of the men who were there during that time - it makes it so much more effectual than a movie like Top Gun or Con Air - even though those movies are great "escape" movies!!

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the list MarineNav!! good collection of movies you've got there!

but I've gotta go with the true historical type movies like Tuskegee Airmen and Memphis Belle... when you think that they created these aviation movies based on true stories of the men who were there during that time - it makes it so much more effectual than a movie like Top Gun or Con Air - even though those movies are great "escape" movies!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that Top Gun and Iron Eagle weren't real? That there is no Maverick? That Navy pilots don't play volleyball while all oiled up?
laugh.gif

I'd have to go with either Memphis Belle (even though it was SERIOUSLY Hollywood-ized) or The Tuskegee Airmen. I like Top Gun for the cinematography and aerial shots, but the story just annoys me. Oh, and I kinda like the canyon scene at the beginning of Iron Eagle.
smile.gif

How about flight of the Phoenix? Famed stunt pilot Paul Mantz was killed during the filming in Yuma, AZ..

Airplane. Hands down. Just the whole "roger, roger" exchange makes it worthwhile.

And I have never been to a Turkish prison.

Tons of good av movies. But the one I always watch when I come across it is "Flight of the Intruder" The Intruder was a hella-nasty plane.

Back