The Attack on the 2nd Amendment Continues

In most states the seller need but see cash, proof of residency in the same state, and proof that the buyer is not prohibited from owing the gun. All of this before handing over the gun. The onus is on the seller to ensure all gun sales laws are being adhered to.

Corrected for truth and accuracy.

And the Ruger 10/22 is not.

I also noticed the Benelli M2 "Tactical" is banned, as well as Remington 870 and 1100 tactical varients. Probably the most generally accepted of home defense weapons is a shotgun with a shorter barrel, and an extended magazine tube.
Hell yes. My gun is now illegal in New York.

Corrected for truth and accuracy.

That is may be true in some states, but not in most. In Maine for example, cash and carry, nothing else. The ATF would state the following:

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

So if one does it right all I need is a real or fake ID from a particular state, though with the guns I have purchased privately I have never been asked for one. Would you as a private seller have any way to verify an ID? How would you verify if I am prohibited from possessing a firearm? You can't know that and in practice nobody asks any questions.

That is may be true in some states, but not in most. In Maine for example, cash and carry, nothing else.

I've bought and sold guns privately...have you? Is this information based on your experience... or just Brady Campaign propaganda?

So if one does it right all I need is a real or fake ID from a particular state, though with the guns I have purchased privately I have never been asked for one. Would you as a private seller have any way to verify an ID? How would you verify if I am prohibited from possessing a firearm? You can't know that and in practice nobody asks any questions.

I've seen many private sale ads in my state that specify that the buyer must provide a CHP along with the photo ID. Can't have a CHP if you're a felon...

Simple, effective, and keeps bureaucratic BS out of it.

I've bought and sold guns privately...have you? Is this information based on your experience... or just Brady Campaign propaganda?

Yep, I have purchased three guns this way in recent years and sold one. That is the way it works here and I am told in most states, and the ATF rule above matches that.

images

"you're"

Haha, I get the joke, but since you "asked"... Not quite sure how a law can prevent a "crime", since if the law doesn't exist for an action, then the action isn't a crime. As far as preventing something once we make it a crime, I'd have to say, that depends.... Speed limits, I would bet most of the populace drives a bit slower as a result. Crimes of passion however, no, I don't think laws are as effective. As far as someone who is looney tunes and places no value on human life, well, there is no stopping those people no matter what law you draft.

That said, I am damn pissed I can't find any magazines right now!
Lol, honestly Waco was making the jokes. You and Jtrain do a good job of dissecting arguments, something I'm not terrific at, which is why I asked. As you know, I'm weak on grammar as well so please forgive.

So you seem to agree these laws aren't terribly helpful for murders, if I'm reading correctly?

As far as the speed limits go, separate argument I know, you may find in historic readings that speed limits have been raised across the nation because it is safer. Some states even shoot for an 85% speed, which tries to allow a regular speed for the bulk of drivers and less. read about it I'm not explaining it well.

I've seen many private sale ads in my state that specify that the buyer must provide a CHP along with the photo ID. Can't have a CHP if you're a felon...

That might be the case in some areas. I can tell you that in ME and NH it isn't because I have been watching them for a while recently for a good used S&W 686 2.5", and I have never seen a seller require anything in the ad. It certainly never came up the few other times I bought privately either.

Perhaps folks in different states will chime in.

Bought and sold privately a lot in Utah. If people knew how many gun sales happen in a McDonalds parking lot:-0

Two of my sales were to LEO's. Now why would they not want a ffl xfer? Hmmm
In all of my ads I make it very clear handguns sales must be certified residents of the state. Must speak English and proof of US citizenship

FFLs sometimes require an extra $50 to do the check on a private sale.

Turns out you can do it at a police station for free. Serial number is registered to the gun. Private sales going away? Were not even middle class capitalists anymore!

Back