The Attack on the 2nd Amendment Continues

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-gaping-hole-in-sandy-hook-reporting/

Interesting article that I think WacoFan can appreciate. The sad fact that we, as a populace, allow the media to shape debates surrounding our personal liberties lend creedence to Curran's quote:

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt."

True....however I have heard from some that this bill will never pass. Its all up to the Supreme Court. Even if it doesn't hold up in court they can confiscate and destroy thpusands of guns before the court stops them. If you reside in Illinois ....might want to consider sending your guns out of state until this is over ruled.
Already been considered..

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-gaping-hole-in-sandy-hook-reporting/

Interesting article that I think WacoFan can appreciate. The sad fact that we, as a populace, allow the media to shape debates surrounding our personal liberties lend creedence to Curran's quote:

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt."

I read that article. Drug companies have a gigantic lobby. A gigantic amount of money. Bigger than guns. They will not be targeted by anyone democrat or republican. It's a scandal.

I agree. Killing for the sheer sake of killing is ethically reprehensible. I grew up hunting, but the small game we hunted we took home with us, and yes, it really was our dinner. Rabbit stew, roast pheasant, etc, we did not kill to kill an animal. We hunted to bring home something for dinner.

I don't know anyone who would disagree with you on that. What I find alarming is that a lot of people think that this kind of thing happens very often? Perhaps you don't mean to imply that there are two types of hunters, ones that eat what they kill and ones that don't? But that's what you imply when you post things like this. And more importantly, that is what people read when they are uneducated on the subject.

The fact is, there is ONE kind of hunter. If you want to find differences in poachers I urge you to call them what they are, poachers. Don't lump poachers and hunters together simply because they both own guns and shoot at animals. As a (former) hunter you know this.

I feel I am more qualified to discuss this "Hunter/Poacher" subject than most people as I have been a licensed hunting guide for more than 10 years. For those of you that don't know, as a hunting guide I take "city slickers" into the back country to go hunting. Personally, I specialize in big game. In more than 10 years and roughly 10-15 hunters a year, I have never had someone even discuss not wanting the meat from a harvest. Not once. (thoughts of expanding on the theory of law abiding gun owners flood my mind but I'll stay on task)

Having said that, as a hunter, I am a true "animal rights activist." I personally do more to promote a healthy ecosystem than say, PETA does. Furthermore, if I caught a poacher red handed in our area (30 miles from the nearest road) the "Law" would be the least of their concerns... and I need my firearms to protect Bambi in that example... I'm just sayin'

As for the weapons ban? It is no ones business to decide that another law abiding person should or shouldn't own a firearm. I find the people that question the 2nd amendment conceded, bigoted, narrow minded and treasonous. The topic disgusts me when these same people won't consider addressing the subject of responsibility.

I read that article. Drug companies have a gigantic lobby. A gigantic amount of money. Bigger than guns. They will not be targeted by anyone democrat or republican. It's a scandal.

My father told me several times when I was a kid, "Money makes the world go 'round. If you don't understand why something is happening, look at how the money is changing hands. That's where you'll find your answer."

I don't know anyone who would disagree with you on that. What I find alarming is that a lot of people think that this kind of thing happens very often? Perhaps you don't mean to imply that there are two types of hunters, ones that eat what they kill and ones that don't? But that's what you imply when you post things like this. And more importantly, that is what people read when they are uneducated on the subject..

I don't see any implication other than what was written. If people want to read into something someone writes or interpret in some nefarious fashion, whether due to ignorance or not, that's their problem.

I don't see any implication other than what was written. If people want to read into something someone writes or interpret in some nefarious fashion, whether due to ignorance or not, that's their problem.

Maybe I wasn't clear? And perhaps I need to learn how to use the "multi quote" feature? I was reading an exchange of posts where they were going back and forth between eating what they shoot and not eating what they shoot. That's what I was refering to;)

Maybe I wasn't clear? And perhaps I need to learn how to use the "multi quote" feature? I was reading an exchange of posts where they were going back and forth between eating what they shoot and not eating what they shoot. That's what I was refering to;)

Oh, ok. Yeah, for that, I agree it's good for the laypeople to know the distinction between the two terms.

There are almost no "hunts" where you go kill something and let it lay. Off the top of my head, I can only think of the wolf hunts, where you hunt without the intention of eating the harvest. Not to start an entirely different debate, but wolves are killed because they themselves kill prey animals and let them lay. They reproduce at a rate that the prey animals cannot keep up with and as a result ruin entire ecosystems. That's where humans come in because we are the wolf's only predator. Hunting to thin the population so natures balance can be the result.

The point remains that Hunting and Poaching are different things. They should never be mentioned without making the distinction between the two. Hunters are not Poachers.

The post was never meant to pick an internet argument, simply to point out the error in launguage on a subject that few people know much about.:)

My father told me several times when I was a kid, "Money makes the world go 'round. If you don't understand why something is happening, look at how the money is changing hands. That's where you'll find your answer."

Absolutely correct. Easiest way to bypass BS.

There are almost no "hunts" where you go kill something and let it lay. Off the top of my head, I can only think of the wolf hunts, where you hunt without the intention of eating the harvest. Not to start an entirely different debate, but wolves are killed because they themselves kill prey animals and let them lay. They reproduce at a rate that the prey animals cannot keep up with and as a result ruin entire ecosystems. That's where humans come in because we are the wolf's only predator. Hunting to thin the population so natures balance can be the result.

The point remains that Hunting and Poaching are different things. They should never be mentioned without making the distinction between the two. Hunters are not Poachers.

The post was never meant to pick an internet argument, simply to point out the error in launguage on a subject that few people know much about.:)
Coyotes to.

Coyotes to.
Not really. Dogs have a $50 bounty in Utah and most rural counties in other states do. And the pelts are saved and sold for $50-$100 depending on the market demand. Bobcats are also trapped not hunted. Pelts go for up $500-$700 each.

Not really. Dogs have a $50 bounty in Utah and most rural counties in other states do. And the pelts are saved and sold for $50-$100 depending on the market demand. Bobcats are also trapped not hunted. Pelts go for up $500-$700 each.
There's a guy I see all the time in LGD and BKE that does wolf and coyote control from his husky. So we must have a problem in E OR.

Yes the USDA predator control a super secret black ops government organization. They even have a full motion sim for the shooter in the rear seat to practice.

There's a guy I see all the time in LGD and BKE that does wolf and coyote control from his husky. So we must have a problem in E OR.

Well... You Baker and La Grande folks might NOT have a problem because of that Huskey;) ...Usually when they start killing cattle and sheep a small yellow airplane shows up shortly after:D

I've tried to stay out of the back and forth debating, but I didn't see this posted. If it has been already, my apologies...

http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2013/jan/04/providence-council-passes-gun-ban-resolution-ar-1299924/

PROVIDENCE --
The Providence City Council passed a resolution Thursday to ban semi automatic firearms in the city.
Council Majority Leader Seth Yurdin said the resolution is looking at semi automatic weapon. "Its things like revolvers, single shot rifles and shot guns are not affected by the ban; those are suitable for home defense or hunting."
"We’ve seen a number of these mass shootings and many involve semi automatic weapons. They really don’t have a place in our homes or on our streets. They are designed for battle field use. So we are pushing for this," he said.
But there was opposition to the ban. "I think that not all of the city council supported it, a majority of the city council did, but there are a lot of different opinions about this issue," Yurdin said.
Other cities and towns are looking into similar bans. All of these proposals will be in front of the General Assembly, with the hope they will look at them in 2014.

Wolf jerky is supposedly quite tasty. Or so I was told by the lady when I applied for the wolf hunting license in MN. Sadly, did not get picked in the lottery system and no license :(

http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2013/jan/04/providence-council-passes-gun-ban-resolution-ar-1299924/

Lets see what it really says-

PROVIDENCE --
The Providence City Council passed a resolution Thursday to ban semi automatic firearms in the city because we know that if we create a law everyone will follow it. Including but not limited to felons, thugs, thieves, rapists, murderers, gangsters, mom, dad, you, and me. All the evil guns will just disappear into thin air and no one with intent will drive to the closest gun shop outside of the city and buy one.
Council Majority Leader Seth Yurdin said the resolution is looking at semi automatic weapon. "Its things like revolvers, single shot rifles and shot guns are not affected by the ban; those are suitable for home defense or hunting." We did this because you cannot decide for yourself what firearm suits your needs. And as we all know, a single shot long gun is more than enough for a close quarters home invasion involving 2 or more home invaders.
"We’ve seen a number of these mass shootings and many involve semi automatic weapons. We all know that nobody can hold the persons holding said firearms to be responsible due to the fact that they were bullied, had low self-esteem, parents didn't like their hair cuts, etc. so we are going to pass this law because it was the guns fault. They really don’t have a place in our homes or on our streets. We made this decision for you because you are too incompetent to decide this on your own and obviously the guns were the only reason these shootings happened. Lets not forget that this new law will take away all the bad guns so we won't need them for protection or anything else... if we ban guns then a perp would never think of committing these crimes using items such as a knife, box cutters or a bomb. They are designed for battle field use. Further, since semi automatic weapons were designed for battle field use only we should have banned them on american soil long ago. They serve no purpose for things such as self defense or hunting or anything like that. So we are pushing for this, and you should jump on this band wagon and help us out with our "head-in-the-sand" approach" he said.
But there was opposition to the ban. "I think that not all of the city council supported it, a majority of the city council did, but there are a lot of different opinions about this issue," Yurdin said.
Other cities and towns are looking into similar bans. All of these proposals will be in front of the General Assembly, with the hope they will look at them in 2014. Also, we urge everyone to ignore the fact that this is unconstitutional...

Hmmmmm.... have you heard of the debacle going on between Bank of America (irony) and American Spirit Arms?

I don't know anyone who would disagree with you on that. What I find alarming is that a lot of people think that this kind of thing happens very often? Perhaps you don't mean to imply that there are two types of hunters, ones that eat what they kill and ones that don't? But that's what you imply when you post things like this. And more importantly, that is what people read when they are uneducated on the subject.

The fact is, there is ONE kind of hunter. If you want to find differences in poachers I urge you to call them what they are, poachers. Don't lump poachers and hunters together simply because they both own guns and shoot at animals. As a (former) hunter you know this.

I feel I am more qualified to discuss this "Hunter/Poacher" subject than most people as I have been a licensed hunting guide for more than 10 years. For those of you that don't know, as a hunting guide I take "city slickers" into the back country to go hunting. Personally, I specialize in big game. In more than 10 years and roughly 10-15 hunters a year, I have never had someone even discuss not wanting the meat from a harvest. Not once. (thoughts of expanding on the theory of law abiding gun owners flood my mind but I'll stay on task)

Having said that, as a hunter, I am a true "animal rights activist." I personally do more to promote a healthy ecosystem than say, PETA does. Furthermore, if I caught a poacher red handed in our area (30 miles from the nearest road) the "Law" would be the least of their concerns... and I need my firearms to protect Bambi in that example... I'm just sayin'

As for the weapons ban? It is no ones business to decide that another law abiding person should or shouldn't own a firearm. I find the people that question the 2nd amendment conceded, bigoted, narrow minded and treasonous. The topic disgusts me when these same people won't consider addressing the subject of responsibility.

Excellent post.

A hunter is an amateur conservationist, a biologist, an ecologist, a geologist, a meteorologist, an astronomer, a chemist, etc. Every kill I make I think how much more peaceful and painless that was than a car or truck. When you have to put a deer down while its back legs are broken because of a car and you watch it try to run, that's something they will never understand.

Back