SWA announces COVID vaccination required by Dec 8 to maintain employment

It cuts both ways.

My alma matter just fired a professor, two time Pulitzer finalist, because... wait for it.... he showed a 1965 movie called Othello which had an actor with black face paint. In a movie. Filmed in 1965. Freshman raised the alarm, went all over social media, trashed him, felt like there was no trigger warning, and that there was no safe space for what was just seen.

Professor removed.

A freakin movie filmed in 1965.

We've been sliding backwards intellectually for a long time, and accelerated with the likes of Facebook and Twitter.

This is a legit concern among my higher education faculty friends - most of whom are at least liberal leaning. My friend (and former undergrad advisor from Texas Tech) teaches poli sci at NC State and regularly tells me stories of hammer undergrads just looking for nails to pound when it comes to race or gender based micro aggressions. He's a pretty progressive dude and has been accused of promoting right wing ideologies in the classroom.

Like with most things, it's a small but loud minority of students - but they have the ear of institutional leaders.

Recall. Everyone.

There's good people doing good works. It took a LONG time to peel the pilot group off one peg of the meter, and it was wildly swinging the other way. Then some rational folks stepped in to damp it out, and park it in the middle. Part of the collective that brought it off the peg wanted it to keep swinging, and spun off into their own orbit. Then you have the folks pining away for the way it used to be trying to pull it back in the other direction.

Toss in the people who are always on the look out for their own good deal and the others who just want to watch the world burn, and it's a pretty unstable mess. It gets to the point where ordinary people are just too busy flying premium time to care, and the good folks who do care are too burned out by the drama, and simply quit.

Such BS (bolded portions).

Can’t believe my dues are going to an outside counsel over this! :mad:

• [
  • Raising the issue of a mandate exemption for pilots who test positive for antibodies.
  • Cha
t.
This makes a lot of sense to me. Why would this not be acceptable? A study out of Israel has showed that natural immunity, that is immunity from an infection, was greater than 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine.
And it’s not unheard of, I remember my mother who worked in a hospital, saying she tested out of a vaccine requirement, because she had the antibodies.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Why would this not be acceptable? A study out of Israel has showed that natural immunity, that is immunity from an infection, was greater than 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine.
And it’s not unheard of, I remember my mother who worked in a hospital, saying she tested out of a vaccine requirement, because she had the antibodies.

OMG, you're one of them!

I think it's because antibodies wane. We don't carry the antibodies for every pathogen we encounter over a lifetime. If we did, our blood would be this thick sludge of antibodies and wouldn't flow. The antibodies fight the virus, then wane leaving memory B cells and T-cells ready to fight another day.

So, if you are only testing for antibodies, then at some point months down the line they won't be detectible. What level is a "pass"? You can test for other types of immunity, but it's much more expensive than an antibody test, and much MUCH more expensive than a $10 shot.

Furthermore, this is still a novel virus. We still don't know whether either the vaccine OR infection will result in life long immunity, or if it will be more like the common cold or flu where you will likely get sick one or more times each year. Ideally the vaccine (and natural immunity) will hurry us towards endemicity. You fight off Covid a couple of times and maybe it's tough a few times but hopefully after that it's the common cold.

The goal was never zero covid. The goal is let's stay out of the hospital and stay alive. What the "it's 99% survivable" crowd doesn't get is that it takes a lot less than 1% getting sick to overwhelm our medical system, making it tough to get care when you have a heart attack, or get into a car accident, or have a troubled pregnancy, etc.

Anyone who thinks the “I won’t social distance/wear a mask/get a vax because it’s infringing on my rights” crowd will submit to blood testing for antibodies is delusional. And the ones who will, will be out there throwing covid parties so they can avoid the vax and clogging ICUs…again.

Maybe I misread your post, but I thought you were saying that you do your own research.

I think Zap has it right, came in with a well reasoned response, most of it I agree with.
I’m not sure that “do your own research “ has the same connotation that this old guy has. Has do your “own research” become a meme for anything else than reading, learning, thinking?

Has do your “own research” become a meme for anything else than reading, learning, thinking?

It has become a common phrase used mostly by people who do none of the above, while believing and loudly proclaiming that they have.

Actually doing these things, while being able to separate BS from legitimate information, is of course still a good thing. Unfortunately, anyone these days can find somewhere on the internet that will re-enforce their pre-existing beliefs. When someone mocks someone else for "doing their own research", they are suggesting that the latter is all that was accomplished.

It has become a common phrase used mostly by people who do none of the above, while believing and loudly proclaiming that they have.

Actually doing these things, while being able to separate BS from legitimate information, is of course still a good thing. Unfortunately, anyone these days can find somewhere on the internet that will re-enforce their pre-existing beliefs. When someone mocks someone else for "doing their own research", they are suggesting that the latter is all that was accomplished.

I donned a white lab coat, retreated to the toilet and read facebook articles that my high school friends posted. I DID THE RESEARCH!

US AZ representative Andy Biggs says that he stands with the striking SWA pilots, who are standing up to the company against vaccine mandates. Let's see if he still stands with them, if it's proven to be an illegal work action.

You can’t legally strike until you’re released.

If people are doing a work action, the company will get the last laugh.

Yes, what your spouses say on the internet is admissible

If Biggs supports the SWA pilots, he needs to STFU yesterday.

It's all over local news.

Not if it’s a

BB7E1D71-8530-477C-B2B0-83CD323FCA4C.jpeg

Strike

:)

This! Idk why folks keep throwing the word “strike” around. If there was a strike then that would mean there’s a helluva lot of scabs out there after this weekend.

Did you read the study or just repeating what you hear on the news? Because if you read the study, it did say natural immunity is better than the vaccine, but the best is if you could have both, and the best way to get both is to be vaccinated when you get COVID.

Back