Sunglasses...

Tram

Ok.. Time for a new set. The Serengeti's are getting a little long in the tooth.

I guess Costa's and Maui Jim's are out of the question due to polarization, which bums me out, I want some MJ Corals...

I want amber lenses..

Anyone have any suggestions?

Randolph Engineering aviators are nice. Classic look, amber lenses are available, temples are thin so they seal well under an ANR headset, and they're reasonably priced.

I see a lot of pilots wearing Oakleys, but I don't dig the "extreme sports" look with a professional uniform. Just my .02.

I'm also in the market for new glasses. I am thinking about trying a pair of AO.

http://www.aoeyewear.com/documents/flight_gear.html - $70 from the manufacturer but you can get them for $40 on Amazon which makes them 1/3 the price of Randolphs.

I emailed the manufacturer last night because I didn't see anything regarding UV on their web site, a woman replied back this morning "They are 98% UVA and 100% UVB".

I've had a pair of Smith Sliders for years and years from my mountain bike racing days, but the lenses are getting scratched up pretty bad and they are way too thick to effectively use under headsets, so it's a little dumb to be flying with them.

I wear Oakley and really like them, however I do want to get a paid of Serengeti's. I'm not a fan of the Aviator glasses though.

Have a pair of oakley (non pol) aviators which aren't bad. I happened to close them in the car door---err the dog ate them and just bought the full jackets, non polarized. The non-polarized were 60 bucks less than the polarized. First time something in aviation has been cheaper for me!

I'm not a fan of "aviator" style glasses. I've got Serengeti Vedi's at the moment..

I see a lot of pilots wearing Oakleys, but I don't dig the "extreme sports" look with a professional uniform. Just my .02.

Well luckily, I don't have to worry about wearing the uniform.. ;)

I just picked up a pair of these (http://www.ic-berlin.de/eyewear/metallic-sunglasses-nadia#metallic-sunglasses-nadia) when in Antibes, France. They are polarized, CRAZY light-weight, and nearly unbreakable. You spend a little more for them, but they are some really nice shades. Looking forward to using them in the cockpit.

Any glass in that cockpit?

I really like these: http://www.ic-berlin.de/eyewear/metallic-sunglasses-nadia#metallic-sunglasses-pair-annihilation

It will probably be some time before I need to worry about a glass cockpit... but for GA in non-glass, I presume that polarized are bees knees?

I have polarized now for flying GA. It's nice for contrast/clouds. It's not THAT big a deal to read LCDs, in my opinion, as it's only certain angles that are a problem. Then again, the only LCD I have to deal with is a KLN 94 display and the occasional 430/530. I don't fly a G1000 yet, so I might change my mind at that point.

Ok.. Time for a new set. The Serengeti's are getting a little long in the tooth.

I guess Costa's and Maui Jim's are out of the question due to polarization, which bums me out, I want some MJ Corals...

I want amber lenses..

Anyone have any suggestions?

I HAD a pair of Maui Jim Kahunas for a loooong time before a certain 6 month old golden retriever decided to use them as a chew toy while I wasn't home. They looked like they were left in the garbage disposal all day.

anyway...try this link..http://www.policelifestyle.com/en_EN/sunglasses-men#

I noticed some weird stuff with my iPhone, depending on the angle I hold the phone, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The freaky thing for me is being able to see white squares on windows with defrosting capabilities and some rainbowing on tinted windows.

I noticed some weird stuff with my iPhone, depending on the angle I hold the phone, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The freaky thing for me is being able to see white squares on windows with defrosting capabilities and some rainbowing on tinted windows.

EFIS and EMS in my RV go dark under polarized lenses. :/

I buy cheap ones. You can throw those out the window of your car on the way home and they will be waiting for you on the table when you get there. You simply CAN'T lose or break them.

I used to subscribe to that until I wore a pair of quality glasses. Now I just take care of the ones I have. :)

I used to subscribe to that until I wore a pair of quality glasses. Now I just take care of the ones I have. :)
This is pretty much my philosophy for most things now. Once I try the actual quality product, I chastise myself for throwing money away at cheap crap. By high-quality stuff, take care of it, and it works out better in the end.

Except for airplanes. I can't buy the latest 182 dripping with Garmin-goodness, so I have to settle for renting clapped out 152's that are almost as old as my dad. And even THAT is not cheap...

TSA broke my last pair of semi-nice ones. Will not take such a chance again, cheap sunglasses for me!

TSA is pretty low on my list of concerns.

This is pretty much my philosophy for most things now. Once I try the actual quality product, I chastise myself for throwing money away at cheap crap. By high-quality stuff, take care of it, and it works out better in the end.

Except for airplanes. I can't buy the latest 182 dripping with Garmin-goodness, so I have to settle for renting clapped out 152's that are almost as old as my dad. And even THAT is not cheap...

Buy once, cry once.. LOL

I learned to fly in a clapped-out 152. It was well after my PPL when I started renting nicer airplanes that I learned plug-fouling on run-up was NOT an every-flight occurence. :)

Back