Sunglasses...

http://www.vedalohd.com/product.aspx?id=98

I finally destroyed them after two years. I loved them though! They were very comfortable/feather light. I never had to squint or adjust them during flight. Now I'm back to my old Randolf Engineering pair. IMHO... They just don't compare! It's like wearing a tank on my face compared to the Vedalo's.

Either way, at 250 bucks they are a bit expensive. I'm saving for a new pair though. I miss them.

The difference between my Randolf Engineering pair and the Vedalo HD's is like comparing my David Clark headset to my Zulu. David Clark's are great but it's not even a fair fight.

I have those and they keep falling off my face and they feel really delicate. I'm always afraid they are gonna break.

Mine are pretty good.... they even got smacked with a volleyball and still fit good.

A particular resident Strike Eagle pilot on this forum has an original pair of Wayfarers from back in the day.... proving that they can make even the ugliest of pilots look good.

Not a big fan of the Vedalo's... we were actually given free ones through the air show circuit, lots of those guys like them... I think they're crappy and look stupid - just my humble opinion.

I've always liked Oakley Inmates for flying. Huge lenses that give you good protection and vision. They look pretty neat too. I've been able to wear them comfortably with a David Clark headset for around two hours straight...any longer and well..you get the idea.

Oakley-Sunglasses-2071071304739961830.jpg

Mine are pretty good.... they even got smacked with a volleyball and still fit good.

A particular resident Strike Eagle pilot on this forum has an original pair of Wayfarers from back in the day.... proving that they can make even the ugliest of pilots look good.

Not a big fan of the Vedalo's... we were actually given free ones through the air show circuit, lots of those guys like them... I think they're crappy and look stupid - just my humble opinion.
Ah, sorry just realized they were not wayfarers, more of the aviator style. Not even sure why I thought they were wayfarers, ha I was totally off. To much sitting in school today haha.

I've lost or broken every nice pair I ever had. I bought a neon green pair at Hot Topic for $10 that look really cool and provide great UV protection. And even though they're really hard to break, I'd only be out $10.

I've lost or broken every nice pair I ever had. I bought a neon green pair at Hot Topic for $10 that look really cool and provide great UV protection. And even though they're really hard to break, I'd only be out $10.
People still shop at hot topic?

I buy cheap ones. You can throw those out the window of your car on the way home and they will be waiting for you on the table when you get there. You simply CAN'T lose or break them.

I disagree sir. I bought two pairs of iron man sunglasses for 16 bucks and they both broke with in a week.

Ive used a pair of unpolarized ray bans for the past 4 years and I love them. Still hold up great, and I like the thinner frames (seem to be more comfortable while wearing a headset).

I disagree sir. I bought two pairs of iron man sunglasses for 16 bucks and they both broke with in a week.

I have two pairs of cheap (brandless) sunglasses that are going on 6 months. Pretty much every flight I drop them on the concrete at some point during my walk around. They are thrown into my flight case with reckless abandon, and they're still ticking.

Sunglasses are about as important as a good headset, I dunno how many lower end sunglasses have quality lenses that protect you. I`m sure you can find some good protection at a low costs, but usually I prefer investing in a bigger brand with some reputation in the industry.

I love this brand http://store.retrosuperfuture.com/ they are not cheap but also not crazy expensive, each frame comes with Zeiss lenses. I don`t like Aviators because everybody and their moms wears them, I still have a pair of Serengeti with Rx lenses but I really only use them for flying. For daily use I love the Super America I have, I`m gonna get some RE P3s soon , love the look and the thinner frame is better in hot weather..

I've had a pair of Oakley A-Wires for ten or eleven years now and they're still great. Buy quality, don't be stupid, and you'll get your money's worth out of it.

I wear the Serengeti Vento with polarized (ZOMG!) lenses after seeing them recommended on here several times. Love them! I wanted to change out the lenses to the Drivers originally, but I haven't had any issues with the G1000 screens at all.

Regarding quality sunglasses, I'm not sure how you guys get by with wearing the cheap ones... most of the cheap sunglasses I've worn have lenses that either warp my vision, especially near the edges, or they remove a lot of finer definition from my sight, neither of which is really acceptable to me, especially in a flying situation. Not making a judgement on anyone for going cheap... I get THAT part. I just don't get obscuring your vision with lenses that are not made to any sort of quality tolerance.

I've always had Oakley Crosshair with the Dark Grey (non-polarized) lens. I like them because they give a lot of coverage, and whomever designed them did it with headsets in mind as they curve in towards your head where the headset gets put on.

4f049be207bdf.jpg

Edit: actually looks like they're on sale on the Oakley website: http://www.oakley.com/products/6906/25941

I don't think Oakley makes the original model anymore, although you can occasionally find them in the Oakley vault stores. They do make the Crosshair 2.0 now... which is slightly different, and I haven't tried em so i can't comment.

Also on another note, I have attached the official FAA guidance on Sunglasses. Actually fairly useful info in there.

Attachments

• sunglasses.pdf
    200.9 KB · Views: 124
Back