Sunglasses...

Oh, and forgot to mention, one of the most forgotten arguments against polarized is that a polarized lenses interfere with your ability to spot traffic. The reflection of light or "glare" off other aircraft is often what you first see and how you spot other aircraft, polarized lenses reduce the ability to see that reflection.

Ray-Ban Aviators, polarized.

I know all the arguments against polarized but they really seem to help cut through the glare and separate what's rain, mist, cloud, water, or terrain.

Ray-Ban Aviators, polarized.

I know all the arguments against polarized but they really seem to help cut through the glare and separate what's rain, mist, cloud, water, or terrain.
Regardless of who calls them toolish, I've been wearing a them for a couple years and I love them. I don't fly anything with glass, but I've never had a problem with being able to read GPS screens or the like. Still been able to spot traffic just fine too.

Regardless of who calls them toolish, I've been wearing a them for a couple years and I love them. I don't fly anything with glass, but I've never had a problem with being able to read GPS screens or the like. Still been able to spot traffic just fine too.
I fly with glass all the time and one airplane has one screen that gets a little funny with the polarization but otherwise no problem.

Just FYI, I just ordered a pair of American Optical original aviators (matte chrome, true color grey glass lenses) for $36 with free shipping from OpticsPlanet.com. Not much more than cheap throw-away glasses but much better quality with consistently excellent reviews.

5% off coupon code: opiv5of

Here's the product page: http://www.opticsplanet.com/ao-original-pilot-sunglasses.html

I bought a pair of these on Amazon (I had a gift card) and I ended up not liking them. They're very well made and the lenses are nice, but I find them heavy, and they don't seal any better than my Sun Clouds do.

Going to list for sale. Like I said, nice glasses, just not for me. I really wanted to like them.

I bought a pair of these on Amazon (I had a gift card) and I ended up not liking them. They're very well made and the lenses are nice, but I find them heavy, and they don't seal any better than my Sun Clouds do.

Going to list for sale. Like I said, nice glasses, just not for me. I really wanted to like them.

I ended up ordering two pair, I was afraid of getting some too large (as I dont like huge aviators). I ordered 52's first and they were way too small and tight. I ordered 55's instead and they fit perfect. I really like the glass optics, fit, and look, and they work much better under headsets than the thicker biking sunglasses I'd been using for years. They are noticeably heavier than plastic glasses but I find the optics are worth the trade-off, for me.

I used to subscribe to that until I wore a pair of quality glasses. Now I just take care of the ones I have. :)

^^^ This!!! ^^^
Considering I spend half my life in the flight levels, I buy GOOD sunglasses.....and I take care of them. Funny thing is I enjoy my vision and 'seeing' is kind of an important aspect of the job. I've had my current pair for years, so long I don't remember how long I've had them. So, if I drop $200 on fine glasses, that last a decade or more, vs. the guys who buy a $5 pair every other month, I am waaaay ahead and I've taken care of my eyes too (so I've got that going for me, which is nice)!

A real quick numbers game. If you're spending ~ $50 - $60/ year on junky shades, in 3 - 4 years you will have spent just as much as you would have if you'd bought a good pair and taken care of them. The kicker....you keep spending money on cheap glasses for years to come, because remember they're disposable, while the guy that buys the good stuff is banking those bucks.....or spending it on pizza/ beer, not sure which. YMMV!

Ok, enough ramble.....I'm tired, it's been a stupid long day. FWIW, I use a polarized glasses with glass avionics in the last few planes with no problems.

I have a pair of Serengetis. It took me a minute to get used to that henna color, but I actually like them a lot. They are a little heavy, but it's nothing bad. I like the driver's gradient. The color and tint of the lenses really helps shield the sun while not making everything dark like in other pairs.

FWIW, mine are not polarized. I did have a pair of cheap polarized sunglasses before this. I could see glass panels just fine. I went the non-polarized route this time to aid in the detection of other craft.

Speaking of sunglasses, did anyone catch the 60 minutes piece on Luxottica? Long story short, they basically have a global monopoly on eyewear. They own or manufacturer almost every major brand, including retailers like Sunglass Hut, Pearle vision, Sears and Target optical and Lenscrafters. Basically if you buy sunglasses you are buying Luxottica, and they control the market.

I've been wearing my Costa's and no problem in either the King Air or the Columbia. They're the Man O' War with green 580 polarized glass. Designed for fishing but they've adapted well to flying.
Cut out tons of glare and are great in IMC.

Back