Student loans could help avert U.S. airline pilot shortage: union head

Good ole Willy Loman!

Heh.

People who are not in sales or haven't done it before have some bizarre ideas about what 'sales' really is. The used-car connotation, the liar connotation...all kinds of stuff that is really inaccurate. Those guys are out there, usually they're starving.

The skillsets that you've talked about for being a Captain - building your team, gathering information, listening to what resources are available to you - these are all similar skillsets one requires in any selling organization.

Good sales people - especially in technical fields - are listeners, communicators and consultants.

The favorite thing of a smart CEO? Writing large commission checks. If s/he's doing that, life is good.

Football is, according to the NCAA 6.5% of high school players will ever play for an NCAA team. And 1.6% of that 6.5% that play for the NCAA will ever play for the NFL. And then 1 in every 6 NFL players go bankrupt fairly quickly.

Much, much better off focusing on academics and academic scholarships I think.

Source

Actually both. One learns so many life and business skills on the sports field, even in high school.
At the college level it is like holding down several full time jobs, especially at the D1 level.
My daughter plays D1 soccer for a mid level school. Her day:
Mon-Thurs- up at 0600 for conditioning. Then class
Mon-Weds- practice 1600-1800. Show at 1515. Ice bath after.
Monday 1800-1930- help with the college soccer camp for little kids (they are permitted to be paid for that).
Thurs- walk through from 1600-1730.
Friday- game
Saturday- film. Debrief of game. Expected to eat breakfast and lunch with team.
Sunday- game or off. If game, Monday off.
If they have an away game they leave on Thursday but are still expected to have all homework done on Monday and get notes from someone in class.
Study hall minimum of 8 hours/week at athletic studies center.
This while majoring in physics.
After home games the coach puts five minutes on the score board. For that five minutes she is our daughter again. When the horn sounds, she belongs to the coach again.
There's a reason businesses like college athletes.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/recruit...gbpl&st_refDomain=m.facebook.com&st_refQuery=

To elucidate a little, I really mean the point in time that some parents discover that their children have some sports acumen and college.

I've got some distant relatives that went "all out" because "once XYZ gets signed on, he won't have to worry about money". And XYZ is ten years old and reads like a six year old.

I'm listening.

How should the US get more people like you? How do we get sufficient quantities of people good at math, tech, science, etc?

This is probably going to sound familiar, but:
Pay them what they're worth, and make it a respectable career. Stop the tactics of wage suppression. Change the American model of business to value the contributor—especially the superstar—rather than just the executive staff.
Listen to your engineers.

Stop pumping curious kids full of Ritalin and Adderal. Stop boring them by forcing science down their throat the way you learned it. Stop keeping them cooped up inside all day long. Foster an independent intellectual curiosity, and stop worrying exclusively about measurable academic performance.

Teach kids to question authority, and not to accept everything they're told just because they respect the source.

Allow and encourage kids to pursue their interests.

Stop arresting people who do neat things, just because you don't understand them—stop suppressing the "weird" and unusual. See "Chilling effect". Stop punishing the kids who color outside the lines, or want to understand the "why" before the "what".

Stop overvaluing life—a life unexamined, unlived, uninterested, safely ensconced within a padded cell, interacting with the world through safe, sanitized inputs is not a life worth living. Encourage calculated risk.

Foster a sense of wonder within them.

And as a society, love your artists and musicians. Not just the superstars, but all of them. Allow that there's more to the human experience than biological adequacy, and allow and embrace art as a non-competitive, non-judgmental form of expression, a conveyance of emotion that can be raw and still beautiful.

If this all sounds like "hippie BS" to you, then perhaps you're too closed-off. This world is way more weird, complicated, fascinating, and incredible than science can ever quantify, and that's an integral part of its beauty and the beauty of science.

-Fox

To elucidate a little, I really mean the point in time that some parents discover that their children have some sports acumen and college.

I've got some distant relatives that went "all out" because "once XYZ gets signed on, he won't have to worry about money". And XYZ is ten years old and reads like a six year old.
Yeah. I've seen this. Sports is great but has its place. The odds of getting a full ride someplace is small. You must really be a gifted athlete like in the top1% to get a 100% ride in most sports.
Ironically the person who got the 100% athletic offers in my family stumbled into it. My niece was originally a soccer player- a pretty good one. But after her third concussion she had to give it up along with all contact sports. She was devastated.
On a whim she decided to try rowing. She was a natural and within 18 months of picking it up was on the junior national team. After earning a bronze in the Junior World Rowing Championships she had a number of full ride offers to top schools. But we are talking about an athletic freak.

This is probably going to sound familiar, but:
Pay them what they're worth, and make it a respectable career. Stop the tactics of wage suppression. Change the American model of business to value the contributor—especially the superstar—rather than just the executive staff.
Listen to your engineers.

Stop pumping curious kids full of Ritalin and Adderal. Stop boring them by forcing science down their throat the way you learned it. Stop keeping them cooped up inside all day long. Foster an independent intellectual curiosity, and stop worrying exclusively about measurable academic performance.

Teach kids to question authority, and not to accept everything they're told just because they respect the source.

Allow and encourage kids to pursue their interests.

Stop arresting people who do neat things, just because you don't understand them—stop suppressing the "weird" and unusual. See "Chilling effect". Stop punishing the kids who color outside the lines, or want to understand the "why" before the "what".

Stop overvaluing life—a life unexamined, unlived, uninterested, safely ensconced within a padded cell, interacting with the world through safe, sanitized inputs is not a life worth living. Encourage calculated risk.

Foster a sense of wonder within them.

And as a society, love your artists and musicians. Not just the superstars, but all of them. Allow that there's more to the human experience than biological adequacy, and allow and embrace art as a non-competitive, non-judgmental form of expression, a conveyance of emotion that can be raw and still beautiful.

-Fox

I don't disagree with any of that - but to clarify my question, if college isn't the answer for science, tech, and math skills, how do a large number of people become educated in those fields? I certainly understand you're a self-taught outlier, but can we expect self taught people to exist in sufficient numbers to fill the work force?

If this all sounds like "hippie BS" to you, then perhaps you're too closed-off. This world is way more weird, complicated, fascinating, and incredible than science can ever quantify, and that's an integral part of its beauty and the beauty of science.

Hopefully this was said in general and not to me - you know I read, liked, and reviewed your book, right? ;)

I don't disagree with any of that - but to clarify my question, if college isn't the answer for science, tech, and math skills, how do a large number of people become educated in those fields? I certainly understand you're a self-taught outlier, but can we expect self taught people to exist in sufficient numbers to fill the work force?

A large number of people will never be experts in technology or science - they do not have the background in mathematics and basic science to comprehend much of it. Our schools could teach advanced mathematics and basic science to a more rigorous level, but that isn't likely. They do a lackluster job of teaching the basics as it is. Honestly, most teachers and education majors I have met have such poor mastery of mathematics themselves that they don't have much business teaching it.

I'm just teasing @killbilly

Any good employee is in sales.

Like if I make a call to the OCC about late HVC's, I'm usually helping a platinum medallion traveler, sometimes also helping a friend and also giving his company impetus to continue booking my airline.

Oh, I know you were teasing - no worries there. And you're absolutely right. I work in a company of about 1200 people these days. One of the internal mottos is "everyone sells."

This is the last I'll post on this topic because I don't want to hijack/derail the thread any further except to say that in my entire working life - which has been 3/4 of my entire life so far - there have been few things I've done that are as rewarding as working in a 2- or 3-man sales team as the sales engineer. In my opinion, it's the best gig one can have in a tech company because it's a nice blend of tech and sales, turning wrenches/defining strategy, etc.

We are currently trying to fill a number of Sales Engineer positions in a couple of cities, and it's really, really tough to find the right candidates, because it requires a blend of 'soft skills' (personality, presentation skills, emotional intelligence) and some hard skills in certain technologies. Educational backgrounds vary WIDELY - from just HS to multiple Master's degrees.

You must also be able to quote from Glengarry Glen Ross and/or Boiler Room, but that comes later in the interview process. :)

We are currently trying to fill a number of Sales Engineer positions in a couple of cities, and it's really, really tough to find the right candidates, because it requires a blend of 'soft skills' (personality, presentation skills, emotional intelligence) and some hard skills in certain technologies. Educational backgrounds vary WIDELY - from just HS to multiple Master's degrees.

You must also be able to quote from Glengarry Glen Ross and/or Boiler Room, but that comes later in the interview process. :)

Put that coffee down!

And, can i haz jobz?

This is the last I'll post on this topic because I don't want to hijack/derail the thread any further except to say that in my entire working life - which has been 3/4 of my entire life so far - there have been few things I've done that are as rewarding as working in a 2- or 3-man sales team as the sales engineer.

I completely agree. Good sales teams tend to be very well compensated, and for good reason. There are very few people capable of doing the job effectively. The basics - returning phone calls, following up on requests, simply showing up, can be hard enough to find. Understanding the products that are sold and why someone would want them is sadly over the heads of most people I have worked with. Being presentable in front of customers is a bigger challenge than it should be. </rant over>

.....and then comes the Program manager that has to run the program the sales guys sold at any cost :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Former employer cut that crap out with a "You win it, You Skin it" Program. Business Development pursues sales until they reach a win, then they switch hats to Program Management until its complete.

That cut down on the "I just want my commission / bonus, the rest is your problem" crap

Athletic scholarships are easier to get than many people think, especially for women. You just have to look outside of NCAA Division 1 schools. Women's golf is a great example of this. If a girl can break 100, she can have at least part of her tuition paid for at almost any D2 or NAIA school. If she can break 80, I'd bet a full ride would be doable even at D1 schools.

Back