Stratolaunch Carrier Aircraft Rolls Out of Hangar for First Time

Skåning

This thing looks like an albatross:

landscape-1496250796-dbk3ltru0ae3rta.jpg

The gargantuan Stratolaunch carrier aircraft, built by Scaled Composites and nicknamed the "Roc," has the longest wingspan of any aircraft ever built: 385 feet from tip to tip. The six-engine mothership is designed to carry rockets between its two fuselages. Once at altitude, the mega-plane will drop the launch vehicle, which will then fire its boosters and launch to space from the air.

It's a new way of approaching spaceflight, reminiscent of the X-plane testing the Air Force did in the 1950s and 60s, and Paul Allen's company Stratolaunch Systems is leading the way. The long aircraft just rolled out of the Scaled Composites hangar for the first time earlier today, May 31. Fueling tests will begin in the coming days, followed by engine runs, taxi tests, and finally first flight.

Stratolaunch Systems is still working on the rocket models that will be dropped from the carrier aircraft, but in October 2016 the company said it would use modified Pegasus XL rockets built by Orbital ATK for the first tests. In preparation for today's rollout, Scaled Composites spent the past weeks disassembling a three-story scaffold that surrounded the aircraft during construction. The aircraft's full weight rested on its 28 wheels for the first time, allowing Scaled Composites to weigh the almost entirely composite plane for the first time. It came in at 500,000 lbs.

The big aircraft is designed for a maximum takeoff weight of 1,300,000 lbs., making the plane capable of carrying launch vehicles and their payloads weighing up to about 550,000 lbs., with 250,000 lbs. devoted to fuel. The first full launch test will use only one Pegasus XL rocket, but Stratolaunch has designed the system so up to three launch vehicles can be dropped during a single flight. The company will also look to expand the types of launch vehicles that are compatible with its carrier aircraft.

Flightline testing will be conducted at the Mojave Air and Space Port in California over the course of several months, extensively testing all the systems of the new aircraft before flight. Stratolaunch is also preparing for delivery of the first Pegasus XL rocket to their facilities in Mojave. The new spaceflight company is on track to conduct the first launch test by 2019.

Stratolaunch is betting on a new way to launch rockets and payloads to space, and it has completed its gigantic aircraft for the job, revealing it to the world for the first time. If the Roc can drive up launch efficiency and drive down price, it might just change the orbital game.

gallery-1496253795-strato-leaves-hangar1-website.png

gallery-1496254020-drone1-website.png

gallery-1496253945-drone3-website.png

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a26715/stratolaunch-rolls-out-of-hangar/

Doing a bit of reading, seems like the flight crew are going to be in the right-side fuselage and "flight data systems" in the left side. Maybe the windows on the left are for a symmetrical look? Looks like it will be a challenge to taxi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even imagine the torsional stresses (lateral and vertical) that are going to be imposed on that wing (between the fuselages) during rough Wx. I guess it must work, but me? I would have gone for a carry-through hstab tail structure.

Also, screw the aircraft contract. I could retire just fine on the hangar door contract! ;)

But what happened to the nose cones! The *nerd alert* windows look very Antonov-esk. Maybe they helped?
Good luck in a x-wind landing!

But what happened to the nose cones! The *nerd alert* windows look very Antonov-esk. Maybe they helped?
Good luck in a x-wind landing!
Or the leading edges?!? Before I realized it wasn't "quite finished yet", I thought the nose(es) might be some new 2x secret probation flow-through stability enhancement devices. Then I had another beer and looked again. And that gear! In a cross wind, it would probably be like landing on skids... really gooey skids.
Windows into 'Murican projects... and Russians? Nah, could never happen.
Also, why are the forward "holes" on the tops of the fuselages different? Right (sitting in the aircraft looking forward) looks oval. Left looks linear/elongated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even imagine the torsional stresses (lateral and vertical) that are going to be imposed on that wing (between the fuselages) during rough Wx. I guess it must work, but me? I would have gone for a carry-through hstab tail structure.

Also, screw the aircraft contract. I could retire just fine on the hangar door contract! ;)
That's the first thing that came to mind looking at the pictures, I suppose it'll only fly on absolutely perfect days.

Literally thought the exact same thing. I hope that main spar is... strong.

But a bit more composite across the hstab, way more rigidity? Probably someone alot smarter than me designed it though.

This has been a common theme in comments the last couple days. But rough weather gust loads are a measurable design point, and beams are beams. Aerospace engineers are pretty smart!

Another comment that keeps coming up is that no other airplane has been designed like this. Also not true.

White Knight 2:
k01iqc9.jpg

VhBDwEL.jpg

eciEvDZ.jpg

5NmXBrQ.jpg

White Knight 1:
zse29IG.jpg

i3lbILt.jpg

Virgin Galactic Globalflyer: Steve Fossett flew this one around the world. Surely he encountered some turbulence along the way?
uBb8psK.jpg

09gRdE2.jpg

Proteus: Has booms, but no independent h-stabs (just the canard), so it's not a totally fair comparison.

yT6FzDa.jpg

1Pnu7ij.jpg

What do these have in common? They were all designed and built by Scaled.

Last edited:
This has been a common theme in comments the last couple days. But rough weather gust loads are a measurable design point, and beams are beams. Aerospace engineers are pretty smart!

Another comment that keeps coming up is that no other airplane has been designed like this. Also not true.

White Knight 2:
k01iqc9.jpg

VhBDwEL.jpg

eciEvDZ.jpg

5NmXBrQ.jpg

White Knight 1:
zse29IG.jpg

i3lbILt.jpg

Virgin Galactic Globalflyer: Steve Fossett flew this one around the world. Surely he encountered some turbulence along the way?
uBb8psK.jpg

09gRdE2.jpg

Proteus: Has booms, but no independent h-stabs (just the canard), so it's not a totally fair comparison.

yT6FzDa.jpg

1Pnu7ij.jpg

What do these have in common? They were all designed and built by Scaled.

All of them are cool, but damn, something about proteus and catbird always got going.

Back