Still fly recreationally after becoming a professional pilot?

erndollas

I was wondering how many professional pilots still take time when they are off to jump in a general aviation aircraft (182, Cherokee, eg..) for some recreational flying? I have heard a few professional pilots say they wouldn't fly a GA aircraft due to the chance of something going wrong or accidentally committing a violation and putting their job in jeopardy due to certificate actions. I also know a few that still fly GA regardless, I was just wondering what the composition is and what others feelings are on the subject.

If by recreational flying you mean doing something fun like acro or shooting some tailwheel landings, then yes, I could see myself doing something like that every so often. If you mean renting a 172, then I probably wouldn't unless I were taking a friend up or something like that. As it stands now, I don't make nearly enough to do any kind of flying outside of work any way.

I have a Cherokee 180. I hardly ever fly due to the cost of fuel and lack of reason to use it. I can fly for free anywhere the airlines go. I've been thinking of downsizing to a Cessna 150 I can burn car gas in.

I would if I could afford it but right now it is limited to taking up out of town friends when they visit.

I still fly GA all the time. I have a C-172 and a C-421. The 172 is for fun (and for the wife), the 421 is more for work and long trips. Even though I can fly free on the airlines, If it is within 700 or 800 miles I will take the plane to avoid the hassles.

The guys that live their lives in perpetual fear of some sort of violation crack me up. If you cant safely fly an airplane and stay within the rules, you really have no business in the world of aviation. It just isnt that hard. This applies to every level of aviation, from GA to the pros. I fly with too many guys that live in constant fear of some sort of violation. I also refuse to live my life worried about all of the "what ifs" That is what good maintenance and good training is all about. You have just as much likelyhood of getting killed in a crosswalk, but people still cross the streets

I was wondering how many professional pilots still take time when they are off to jump in a general aviation aircraft (182, Cherokee, eg..) for some recreational flying? I have heard a few professional pilots say they wouldn't fly a GA aircraft due to the chance of something going wrong or accidentally committing a violation and putting their job in jeopardy due to certificate actions. I also know a few that still fly GA regardless, I was just wondering what the composition is and what others feelings are on the subject.

I don't fly much at work (mostly giving checkrides), so I enjoy flying outside. Mostly with a buddy of mine in his plane or with the girlfriend for dinner or the weekend somewhere. Occasional contract flying.

When I flew 121 or even as a line pilot 135 I didn't do it virtually at all, just an occasional trip. Too expensive and not much fun after being in a plane all day.

That being said - airplanes are tools to me, I'm the pilot who doesn't care about flying. Means to an end.

About 50 hours a year when it's severe clear. I have no desire to blast off into ifr wx.

I would probably kill myself in a small airplane these days....We're all probably better off I don't try to take on up these days!!!

Not having enough money to fly sounds like me everytime I finish up a rating. Fly everyday for months, get the rating, then try to scrape enough money together to fly once a month to keep everything fresh while trying to save for the next rating. I have been talking with a couple other people about going in on a plane together. Hard part is finding everyone to agree on the plane, one side wants something that they can haul a family somewhere for a weekend, the other side just wants something fun to go for short scenic flights.

I have a Cherokee 180. I hardly ever fly due to the cost of fuel and lack of reason to use it. I can fly for free anywhere the airlines go. I've been thinking of downsizing to a Cessna 150 I can burn car gas in.

A 150 with the mogas STC is a definite money saver as long as you're not looking for something you can put two grown adults in with enough fuel to make it out of the pattern. :bounce:

I'm somewhere in the middle. I can't afford it, but I do get the urge on occasion. That said it's not an urge to fly for the sake of flying. It's usually that I'd much rather pay the $100 each way to not sit in beltway traffic to go see my family.

Otherwise, I fly 80-90 hours a month...that's more than enough for me.

Honestly, I really have no interest in flying outside work. Sorry to say, maybe the career has jaded me a bit. I pursue other interests when I'm at home.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the act of flying airplanes. But I'd rather go home and do other stuff like play music and surf. :)

I look forward to getting back into a tailwheel and doing some aerobatics. That said, my job is pretty awesome flying all by itself. ^.^

I also very much miss instruction. I'm thinking of taking some time off this winter and going for my CFII. Wouldn't mind knocking out my MEI, as well.

So flying outside of work? Check, if money permits.

-Fox

Another side of it I never thought about was the fact that if you don't own a plane you have to find an FBO to rent from. Then having to get a check out and keep currency with the FBO would be a chore especially for the money you have to pay per hour for anything outside of a 150.

For me, flying is a mix of profession and recreation. Renting a ChickenHawk just doesn't do it for me, so I fly friend's and MX customers airplanes for rides, $200 hamburgers, and other business.

Another example: the guy that taught me to fly drove a 737 for the better part of 30 years, he'd still hand prop and fly his 85hp taildragger every weekend. As well as load the family up in his other airplane for reunions, breakfast runs, sporting events, etc...

Avoiding a violation is easy. Put the same effort into work as you do elsewhere and it is easy. When flying 91, TFRs are the biggest concern. Get a brief or other means of required info and have fun.

At the same time?
Noise-Addicts-Guitar-Surfboard.jpg

Back