Still fly recreationally after becoming a professional pilot?

Honestly, I really have no interest in flying outside work. Sorry to say, maybe the career has jaded me a bit. I pursue other interests when I'm at home.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the act of flying airplanes. But I'd rather go home and do other stuff like play music and surf. :)
This. I go up with a buddy occasionally that has a grass strip at his parents house 3 miles away from my house but I just ride along and stare out the window. He offers to let me fly but I have no interest. I love my job and flying but I fly plenty at work to satisfy me. Much rather do other things when home.

Every once in a while I think it'd be fun to go up and putter around, but part of me thinks it is because I havent flown GA in years now and the rest of me knows that I can't afford to do so. For the most part though, I get my fill at work. When I'm home I'd much rather surf, or see family, etc.

Mostly work. I've been spoiled by flying fun airplanes (J3 cubs etc) that flying Cessnas doesn't appeal, and I don't care to maintain currency at a flight school.

I was wondering how many professional pilots still take time when they are off to jump in a general aviation aircraft (182, Cherokee, eg..) for some recreational flying? I have heard a few professional pilots say they wouldn't fly a GA aircraft due to the chance of something going wrong or accidentally committing a violation and putting their job in jeopardy due to certificate actions. I also know a few that still fly GA regardless, I was just wondering what the composition is and what others feelings are on the subject.
I fly GA. It's fun. It's sort of therapeutic to have it be all up to me. Sort of magic.

I disagree pretty firmly with the guys who won't fly GA (financial considerations aside). I'm not any more or less likely, I think, to commit a violation flying on days off; we also maintain our airplane to an exceptionally high standard and spend money on keeping current and having good equipment to make it reasonably safe. The problems in GA are, roughly, training, proficiency and maintenance. We don't mess around with any of that.

Aeros - hell yes.

I also occasionally go along with PPL friends who want someone with a bit more experience on a long trip or going abroad.

My end goal is to have a job that pays well enough with a good enough schedule to fly gliders and warbirds on my time off. Right now I can't really afford to do much but still get up in something fun every other month or so.

Reactions: Tld
I'm trying to save up this winter to be able to rent a few hours in a seaplane next summer. I got the rating in Aug 2013 and haven't touched a seaplane since. Somehow flying 135 just isn't as much fun as splashing down next to a boat of bikinis... :)

I am able to afford my hobbies, which include
<- a 1947 Stinson 108
It's opened up a wide assortment of activities, not just staying with in the pattern area of the local airport.
Being able to fly 60+ mins to get fresh seafood after a long day of boring academic classes, or going to a secluded beach is priceless. Same with sharing the wonder of flight with someone, who as only ever dreamed of flying from an airport fence.

My schedule hasn't allowed me much free time over the last year, as I have just over 2 weeks to break 100hrs with her.
If you CAN afford it, I highly recommend it.

I recently flew with a guy who's dream was to live in an airpark. My dream? Live on a lake and be able to go cruise on a pontoon everynight. I think that would be the only way I would get into GA because I would love to get a float plane if that happened. The buddy I mentioned is putting one of their planes on floats next summer, maybe that will spark my GA interest again. Time will tell.

Can't afford it, otherwise I'd buy myself something aerobatic, grab a CFI and start enjoying inverted flight. Motorcycles/race tracks have absorbed most of my "fun" money the past couple years though.

I did rent a light sport earlier this past Spring and honestly I forgot how much fun it was. Flying for work is work. Flying for fun with someone like a friend or significant other sitting next to you is awesome. I cruised the river at 1000' near my local airport, nice and slow, enjoying the view. I still love flying, and love airplanes. If someone tossed me the keys to a Skyhawk tomorrow, I'd be flying up and down the beach all day.

I'd love to have an airplane, but that's the gear-head in me. I don't have any interests in sports or outdoors stuff, I enjoy anything mechanical in nature. So I'd love to have an airplane, but it would need to be "useful". A fixed gear 182 or something with a decent useful load of that nature for trips and possibly teaching the boys to fly in one day. But as it stands, it's just not going to happen. Financially and logistically, just ain't gonna happen.

The closest place that rents to me is an hour away, so that's hard to justify right there. I just don't have the urge to do much away from home after being on the road either. After seeing the article in AOPA this month on the C-150 (C-152?) that was redone, it brought back some urge to crawl into something basic. And I'd love to do tailwheel in a Cub. But again, that's probably not going to happen any time soon. Just no time or money.

Once I got that peaky CFI cert, the fun flying dried up... I still do a trip by GA about every 2 months or so, split 4 ways, it is way cheaper than airline tickets to Key West or Miami from here.

Hard to justify buying a plane, given how much I would use it, but you never know.

I still do primary instruction one day a week and I think it costs me money...Does that count as recreational? I enjoy teaching and think I'd like to get my glider stuff going someday. BUUUT that'll be when I'm really not worried about making money...Sooo, you know, never?

Put me in the 'can't afford it' category. Would like to get back into it, but my last GA entry in the logbook is over 10 years ago. Yikes.

I even keep my CFI current ... just in case.

Back