Still fly recreationally after becoming a professional pilot?

I still do primary instruction one day a week and I think it costs me money...Does that count as recreational? I enjoy teaching and think I'd like to get my glider stuff going someday. BUUUT that'll be when I'm really not worried about making money...Sooo, you know, never?

You're killing me here. You know that, right?

As much as I can.

Attachments

• 20130528_143225.jpg
    20130528_143225.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 158
My last job killed much of my joy for putting around in a little Cessna. If I go fly for fun now I just want to be on floats or in a tailwheel... Even then I don't want to pay for it. My money feeds my other hobbies.

I always plan to fly GA. As some on here have said, flying for work is work. If my ventures work out by the time I can get into 121, I'll have the money to do it and it's doubtful I'll ever find scenic and photogenic flights around the Bay Area with dates and friends boring. I have plenty of non-flying hobbies, but I rarely fly more than an hour anyway, I don't think it would be time consuming to fly once or twice a month.

Interesting to see the different responses here though.

Flying is generally the last thing I want to do after doing it every day for three weeks.. That said, in the future I'd love to have an RV-6 or something to fart around in. And when I think about how much of a pain in the ass it is to maintain an airplane I get off the idea pretty quick.

While working at the airline I owned a 150 then a Cherokee 180 then a Grumman Tiger then a Cherokee Six and finally a Bellanca Viking. A few years ago I realized It made no economic sense for me to own an airplane and bought motorcycles. I probably jumped from one pot of boiling water to another. Oh well...I never claimed to be smart.

I'm flying 20 minutes each way in a cirrus this weekend JUST to see a dirtbike race. Personally, I find every chance I can get with out taking undue risk.

I don't have enough time in my life really to fly outside of work, but it is something I would love to do in the future when I no longer fly for work or my schedule is better. So perhaps the answer is then "no"? I know every time I go fly with the old man when I am home visiting, it is a lot of fun and a completely stress free event unlike most of my flying

No time, no interest, no money.

To be honest, flying for a living became a lot more fun when I realized that I can still turn all the automation off and fly the airplane myself. Now when I want to fly, I turn everything off and do so. When I want to sit and monitor, I do so.

It's truly been the best of both worlds for me: a high performance jet to have fun with on CAVU days (within the rules set by my employer), and fully automated, high tech wiz bangery when I need it to be.

Can't afford it. Plus, the last few places I've gone have demanded recurrent "checkrides" every 12 weeks with an instructor (just to rent a 172, WTFO? No, just no.) The added time and expense that this sort of requirment creates just puts the final nail in the coffin. I'd love to if prices were still within 25% of what they were 10 years ago, but they've more than doubled.

You're talking about a regional airliner, right? Or is there an F-5 or Alpha Jet somewhere on the property they occasionally let you guys fly? :)
Me: "We don't care that you did 300+ knots in the climb inverted at 200' in the Goshawk or whatever; this is the highest performance airplane we happen to have flown thus far..."

I'd love to fly for fun. It would also make commuting to work a joy instead of a pain. However I don't have the money for that kind of flying :(

I'm an airplane nerd (most on here are although they claim otherwise) and I've come to terms with that. No longer do I give the standard line of "I don't want anything to do with airplanes when I leave work". Yes it's true I don't want to be in crowded airport terminals after a 4 day, but I never loathe aviation. With that said, I don't have enough money in my pocket to get into GA. I won't fly with someone else In their plane as that seems dangerous and torturous. Ideally someone would give me a Kingair or a PC12 and keep it filled with jetA for me, but I haven't gotten any offers yet.

Me: "We don't care that you did 300+ knots in the climb inverted at 200' in the Goshawk or whatever; this is the highest performance airplane we happen to have flown thus far..."

As a total aside, I watched from the side of the taxiway as a Jordanian F-16 pilot took off, leveled out in ground effect (looked like maybe 30' or so), sucked up the gear, then did a half barrel roll, remained inverted about 100' off the deck, and flew down the rest of the runway before he completed his roll and started a vertical climb. I won't argue that it was entertaining to watch, but about the dumbest thing I have ever seen anyone do in a jet. I was almost positive that I was about to watch his fiery death.

As a total aside, I watched from the side of the taxiway as a Jordanian F-16 pilot took off, leveled out in ground effect (looked like maybe 30' or so), sucked up the gear, then did a half barrel roll, remained inverted about 100' off the deck, and flew down the rest of the runway before he completed his roll and started a vertical climb. I won't argue that it was entertaining to watch, but about the dumbest thing I have ever seen anyone do in a jet. I was almost positive that I was about to watch his fiery death.
Amazing what you can get away with if Dad's the Crown Prince, no? :D

(only somewhat :sarcasm: )

Back